10 Gallon Picture Series

bang guy

Originally Posted by Debbie
How many pounds or rock do you have in this tank?
It was about 15 pounds dry. Probably 20 - 25 pounds now that it's live.
Is the rock against the glass at the back or more in the center of the tank?
It touches in the back in a few spots. There are some smaller rocks in the back that aren't visible in the pics.
Looks great.....

Thank you very much :D

bang guy

Originally Posted by Harial
what's limewater? :confused:
Limewater is Lime mixed with water. Lime is either Calcium oxide or Calcium hydroxide. It's often sold as Kalk or Kalkwasser. I use Mrs. Wages Pickling lime which is a food grade Calcium hydroxide.

bang guy

Originally Posted by nemo lover
Sweet!
How did you do your background? is it Painted in different colors?
I agree with your conclusions.
The only thing I do different is I add a AB type additive for my Calcium and Alk, and of course my lr didn't come from your wonderful lagoon.
Thanks! :)
The background is a wallpaper border stuck to a piece of plywood and screwed to the mount. The tank is suspended from the ceiling.
Two part additives like Tech A-B or B-Ionic should be slightly better than limewater.

laddy

I'm curious :notsure: did you use a pH monitor to determine how much Kalk to drip or did you test ten times a day?

f1shman

Well, I guess I won't buy any clownfish until I can get a pair of yours. They're just too awesome! If I was to get a pair of yours, and they were to breed in my 40 gallon reef tank. Would it be easy to move the eggs from the 40 to my nanocube (sorry for changing the thread topic)

T

tuningvis

breeding clownfish is a very exstensive(sp) process .. use the search on this site to find "clownfish breeding" you will find a great thread that will explain everything

mimzy

Bang, I ADORE the fourth picture (3rd of the large photos) - it looks like the clownfish is flying out of that green 'sun' on your background. Absolutely adorable.

widowmaker

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
They heat up faster - they cool down faster. A precision heater is required to maintain a steady temp.
Without auto topoff the salinity can rise at a frightening rate.
Without using limewater Calcium and ALK are nearly impossible to keep stable.
Conclusion: Nanos are far more difficult that large reef systems.
Lighting and Waterflow is easier but significantly more expensive watt per gallon wise.
and i was just going to ask that if someone were scared of taking the jump into a big tank, would a nano be good practice for starters. seems like, though they may be fun, they are more difficult than say the 180 to 200 range i was thinking. as always, bang guy saves the day.
p.s. nice tank indeed, and i'm like totally (valley girl style) your biggest fan. :happy:

bang guy

Originally Posted by Laddy
I'm curious :notsure: did you use a pH monitor to determine how much Kalk to drip or did you test ten times a day?
I use saturated limewater for all topoff. I'm not too concerned with PH unless I see precipitate.

bang guy

Originally Posted by rbaby
Bang that looks awesome! The rock looks so natural, got anything else planned for the tank?
I fragged all of the stonies last month. In a couple more months I plan to frag them all again. The contest ends at the end of the year so it should look fairly mature by then.
The theme for this tank is "100% Propogated". Everything living in the tank was grown from my other system, snails, sand, rocks, fish, corals, etc.

rbaby

That's very cool. When did you start it? I disappeared and lost track of SWF forums for a while when I reformatted and just remembered it...so I totally don't know what's going on anymore. How are the clownfishy babies?

T

tuningvis

what kind of camera are you using and are you editing the pics at all ... the color looks skewed

T

tuningvis

the hue(i think) looks off... could be from a few things.. just wanna hear from him.. what kinda camera the settings and editing

bang guy

Originally Posted by tuningvis
what kind of camera are you using and are you editing the pics at all ... the color looks skewed
Kodak DX7590
I darken the pic up after the fact and add a little contrast to make it look more like it does in person.
Here is the pic untouched.
Settings:
Macro Mode
F2.8
ISO80
the rest is on auto

bang guy

After looking at the tank, I believe what you are seeing is the effect of having a VHO Actinic 4" from the top of the coral.