10' Lagoon. Okay lets build this together.

crypt keeper

Okay. Finally getting started. I bought the house. Now the tank. I want to be done this By January. Slow so I dont break the bank at once.
I have a few designs. The Liner can made to any shape or size. I dont know if I want the normal Rectangle shape. It may be easier. I will have to play with a few Ideas.
I know I want it 10' long 3' feet wide and 2' feet deep. Im building it up 3 feet off the ground for clearance for the plumbing. I have enough room for a big sump fuge set up. I was following the other thread in the reef section. He did his bulk heads really clean. Id like to hide mine a little better.
Now for the I need your ideas part. I dont love the idea of of it being a look down tank only. Im not spending thousands on buying a tank to view it just from the side either.
Is it at all possible to cut two 3 foot sections out of the front and place 1 inch think plexiglass to view the tank like a normal set up. I can put the liner through and then place the plaxiglass inside a lip area. Glue it and water proof it. Can it be done correctly and will hold for the next 10 years?

aquaguy24

Looks like a sweet project. I havnt seen any lagoons with the veiwing window. His is gonna a awesme build. Good luck.

spanko

Not sure how to seal the wood-glass-liner together. Tagging along to see how it goes.

R

rcreations

That's pretty cool, I've never seen one with viewing windows. Great idea!!!

crypt keeper

well what i was thinking is double up the plywood on the front for strength. Cut the inner board where the window would fit in 3 inches shorter creating a lip. The liner would tuck in. Set window in.

fishtaco

Good luck with your build and kudo's for thinking outside the box, my wife and I have talked about building something big in our greenhouse and plan on doing so in the future although it will be freshwater tropical for now, instead of the saltwater one we wish we could do because of cost.
Looking forward to watching the build too.
Fishtaco
2x 15 gallon saltwater nano's (Getting reefy)
15 gallon freshwater nano (live plant and tetra's)
55 gallon freshwater (Home of the dollars)
30 gallon greenhouse stock tank (fancy goldfish)
Half wisky Barrel fountain (comets)

crypt keeper

Im goin to stop by a pool store today. See what those guys think. I have seen lined pools with lights and they obviously dont l

crypt keeper

Okay. The window is do able. I forget the name the guy gave me. He said my idea should work and he doesnt see a reason why it shouldnt work.
Now. I figure with the size of the tank it will be around 450 gallons. With 100 gallon sump and 100 gallon fuge.
You big tank people. What type of pumps are we talking about here?
Closed loop or open? How many Over flow areas should I have? How many returns should I have? Should they be high low? Cut through the bottom and pointed in between the rock for full circulation.
Where is Bioneck!

ironeagle2006

Figure on 2100GPH for your Closed Loop 3500GPH or so for your main pump. I am looking at a Reeflo Snapper for my Closed loop and a Barracuda for my main pump. You will want about 3600GPH into the sump both ways for filtration. I am going off of what my new tank builder is setting it up with. It is going to be 450 Gallons with a 125 Sump so pretty close to what you are building.

jemshores

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3105461
Okay. Finally getting started. I bought the house. Now the tank. I want to be done this By January. Slow so I dont break the bank at once.
I have a few designs. The Liner can made to any shape or size. I dont know if I want the normal Rectangle shape. It may be easier. I will have to play with a few Ideas.
I know I want it 10' long 3' feet wide and 2' feet deep. Im building it up 3 feet off the ground for clearance for the plumbing. I have enough room for a big sump fuge set up. I was following the other thread in the reef section. He did his bulk heads really clean. Id like to hide mine a little better.
Now for the I need your ideas part. I dont love the idea of of it being a look down tank only. Im not spending thousands on buying a tank to view it just from the side either.
Is it at all possible to cut two 3 foot sections out of the front and place 1 inch think plexiglass to view the tank like a normal set up. I can put the liner through and then place the plaxiglass inside a lip area. Glue it and water proof it. Can it be done correctly and will hold for the next 10 years?

What about using some windows, maybe double pane-like portholes (thinking submarine) inserted into your framing? Reason being is that we bought one at a sale years ago that actually came out of an old Navy ship with plans of using it ????? Oh well still have it and that sucker is brass rimmed holding in at least 1" glass, weighing about 100 lbs. It is rectangular and gorgeous...pics avail if it will help you. I think looking in from the sides is a must and would be killer! Good luck and will follow this build

crypt keeper

Post as many pics as possible. Im going to talk with the guy up the street who does nothing but KOI ponds. See what he thinks about it and how I should place the liner.

crypt keeper

Im thinking something just like this. Leave the bottom and top open. I can support the bottom with 4x4's running along the bottom The 6x6's as the main support post instead of building a metal cage.
I can place the glass in the front just like he did.

crypt keeper

I stole these pics for reference. This could easily be done. The liner would place in the bottom and top. Glue glue glue. Place the glass in the front. Boom. done