125 a little out of whack

double

Hello all, long time since I've visited. Amazing how time moves when you have kids

First a little backround, I definately haven't tested like I used to and my tank has begun to suffer. I noticed some algae growth and some coral die off and began to take action. I have a few things going on that need addressing and I'm not sure what to start on.
My tank is a 125 reef with a 55 gallon sump (150 lbs of live rock, hard and soft corals, 2 tangs, 2 clowns, 1 watchman, 1 potters angel, 1 neon dottyback). I've done two water changes in the past week (40 gallons each time).
Current numbers
Nitrates: 40 ppm
KH: 340 ppm
PH: 8.2
Calcium: 240
What should I address first? %%
Thanks in advance for all your help

novahobbies

Besides your water changes, do you have anything in place for your nitrate export system? Chaeto / caulerpa in the sump? If you do, it might be time to thin the chaeto and let it re-grow. I personally prefer caulerpa due to their.....ahem, "aggressive" growth, but you have to watch it like a hawk to make sure it doens't go sexual on ya. How's your skimmer doing, also?

double

I had Chaeto but lost my light a while back and didn't replace it yet. Come to think of it that's when the degradation seemed to begin.
The Skimmer is doing well, I clean out about once a week.

double

I prefer to not have anything that I have to watch like a hawk. How do you mean going sexual? Even though I've had a tank for 3+ years I'm still a newb.

bmkj02

More water changes to get them nitrates down. Some kind of supplement for now to get your calcium up too. Check your phosphate too.

double

added calcium to tank this am, phosphates are fine. My concern was really the high kh and nitrates.
I will continue to address the nitrates with water changes, do you all think that will also bring the kh down?
Also, thanks for your responses! I appreciate it!!!

small triggers

personally, i would pull out the macro, not really needed especially if you dont have the light for it and it does need constant trimming.

double

Thanks for all of your input, after numerous water changes and some TLC the tank is back in good shape except for my growing Aptasia issue.
I have tried the squirt with boiling ro/di water: They seemed to die for a couple of days and come back stronger than ever.
I have added at least 10 peppermint shrimp: They all disappear within 24 hours in the tank. Both of my Tangs, the Potters, and my neon dottyback seem particularly interested in them when they are added

I'm pretty sure they are eating them.
My local LFS suggested a filefish? has anyone had success with this prior? I'm not sure what exactly a filefish is... Closely related to triggers etc...

meowzer

Try Joes Juice....the other things did not work for me either....Joes Juice did....the aptasia has NEVER come back :)