125 Reef Tank Build

veni vidi vici

Well i finally decided to build a 125.I don't like built in overflows ,so i decided to go with a coast to coast overflow,and a closed loop system.(If anyone knows of a good place to buy diamond tipped hole saw bits,please let me know)Something else i want to try is pond foam with LR rubble on some egg crate for a back ground and some arched LR coming off back drop to the floor.I have a few power heads i would like to hide inside foam rock.
First things first though.
I picked up tank today and started building stand.I got some ideas of what i want to do from another site.I'm going to have 3 door in front and i haven't decided if I'm going to do 2 tall thin utility cabinets on the sides yet with a sconce across to hide lighting or 2 doors on the side with one side for an electrical panel for controls and the other just for more access with a matching canopy.
Here is what i have so far.
The Tank:

The Stand:

A general idea i borrowed from someone else,Ill be adding 2 horizontal 1x in the front for doors and back for additional support:

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by corallover23
http:///forum/post/2603151
that is nice!
make me one
Ill shoot you a price when i know how much its gonna coast me .lol
I had my first set back today....7 hour power outage.Got nothing done except made some decisions on what i want to do and worked on material list.

veni vidi vici

I already have about 150 lbs in my 75 now ,so ill have to see what i need when my 125 is ready.Ill probably add another 75 lbs of lace or tufa rock.

indyws6

Greetings

Can I ask why you don't like built-in overflows? Personally, with the holes on the bottom pane of the glass, which allows you to "hide" the plumbing, it seems like a good choice to me. Plus, if the overflows are large enough, something that would be easy on a tank that size, you might also be able to incorporate some of the closed-loop components.
Dumb question - what is a "coast to coast" overflow (I assume one that runs the full length of the tank
) and what does it look like? How is it plumbed?
Good Luck...

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by indyws6
http:///forum/post/2604353
Greetings

Can I ask why you don't like built-in overflows? Personally, with the holes on the bottom pane of the glass, which allows you to "hide" the plumbing, it seems like a good choice to me. Plus, if the overflows are large enough, something that would be easy on a tank that size, you might also be able to incorporate some of the closed-loop components.
Dumb question - what is a "coast to coast" overflow (I assume one that runs the full length of the tank
) and what does it look like? How is it plumbed?
Good Luck...
Here is my plan i got from someone else :http://www.beananimal.com/

wattsupdoc

AHHHH! your going to be doing Hermie standpipes!
I saw that example elsewhere and still don't get the need for a third pipe. IMO, I would leave it out. Pretty sure you can get the saws from that big

[hr]
site. Get your bulkheads first though, that way you know what size saw exactly you need. I'll be doing a 29 build for my son here pretty quick in which I'll do a foam/rubble back, closed loop and OF to 2 10 gals. for sump/fuge. Reminds me I need to get his bulkheads coming!

prime311

The 3rd standpipe is a backup in case one of the other ones fails. Its just a failsafe to prevent flooding and is pointed up so it is only used if a flood is imminent.

Can I ask what kind of wood you built your stand out of? It appears to be poplar but I'm not sure. And how long it took you to build it? can you take a picture from the top view
I love the design its gorgeous,what site did you get the idea from?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by The Egregious
http:///forum/post/2605235
Can I ask what kind of wood you built your stand out of? It appears to be poplar but I'm not sure. And how long it took you to build it? can you take a picture from the top view
I love the design its gorgeous,what site did you get the idea from?
That's not my stand,its someone else's handy work.im just using it as reference.I will be using pine for mine.I was going to do it in red oak ,but it was going to be pretty costly and i need to use the money for other things,like another MH light and a calcium reactor.The photo came from --.Here is where im at right now.I miss calculated on how much 1x6 i was going to need for the basic cabinet.

wattsupdoc

Actually, the first pipe is the drain, the second pipe is the backup should the drain fail, the 3rd pipe is the backup incase the backup fails, then lets add a fourth for backup in case the backup fails that backing up the backup.

turningtim

I'd let you use my saws but it would be cheaper to get from the bay! I believe "Lau" is the sellers name. I've drilled a bunch of holes with these bits and they work great. Not bad for $25 bucks for 2 saws.
It's really not Beans idea. Great guy anywho! I think it the coast to coast really hit with Anthony Calfo when he was on -- and continued over at MD forums.
I have done both of my new tanks this way but didn't go all the way from side to side. I left room at the ends for returns. I'll dig up a pic or the thread that I started a hundred years ago and still haven't gotten the tanks done!!!!!
HTH
Tim
Linky to my thread! Might find some helpful stuff!
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/284317/diy-120-reef-build

B

beananimal

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2604459
AHHHH! your going to be doing Hermie standpipes!
I saw that example elsewhere and still don't get the need for a third pipe. IMO, I would leave it out. Pretty sure you can get the saws from that big

[hr]
site. Get your bulkheads first though, that way you know what size saw exactly you need. I'll be doing a 29 build for my son here pretty quick in which I'll do a foam/rubble back, closed loop and OF to 2 10 gals. for sump/fuge. Reminds me I need to get his bulkheads coming!

Actually it IS NOT a "herbie" overflow. Actually "herbie" did not ivent the system either. The "herbie" overflow has been used in wastewater treatment for decades. This design in an improvement in the 2 standpipe system in MANY ways. If you took the time to read the thread at -- or my website you would understand. The "herbie" system has a severe inherint flaw. An imbalance cuased by a blockage will result in a flood. There are MANY other differences, you can read my -- thread or website if you are actually interested in learning what they are.
A start would be looking up the definition of th word "fail-safe".
With a 2 standpipe setup, where one standpipe functions as a SIPHON, a partially clogged standpipe will very easily cause a flood, bet it a snail, a clump of algea or a fish. There IS NO fail-safe.
Secondly, during system startup, the 3rd standpipe handles a significant amount of flow for 5-10 seconds until the siphon fully starts and purges of air.
I easily can easily push 3,000 GPH through the setup (3 1" bulkheads with 1.5" standpipes) and do so DEAD SILENT. 90% of the flow is in the siphon, 10% in the open channel. The setup is not somewhat quiet, BUT DEAD SILENT. Furthermore, I can fully block ANY of the 3 standpipes and not have a flood. Please show me a 2 standpipe system that can do the same thing silently and without flooding the floor in the event of even a slight blockage.
I have had a floods with "durso" and "herbie" setups, that is why this design evolved. Because you have never been tossed through a windshield, does that mean that a lap/shoulder seatbelt is silly? Does that further mean that a 5 point harness is overkill? Maybe to you, but if all cars had 5 point harnesses, how many people would be killed in 60 MPH crashes?
You are welcome to your opinion, but please don't blindly denounce others designs when you clearly are unaware of the basic principles of operation and reasoning for the design.

B

beananimal

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2605867
Actually, the first pipe is the drain, the second pipe is the backup should the drain fail, the 3rd pipe is the backup incase the backup fails, then lets add a fourth for backup in case the backup fails that backing up the backup.

No, that is not correct.
In the top rendering the leftmost standpipe is the EMERGENCY overflow.
The center pipe is the FULL SIPHON standpipe
The Rightmost standpipe is the OPEN CHANNEL.
The next rendering shows the setup from the other side, so the order is reversed. That means that your explanation of the functions of MY design are not even close.
The rest of your comments demonstrate a lack of understanding on your part. Please look up the word "fail-safe". Then consider the common reasons it is desirable in an aquarium overflow setup. What are the failure modes? What are the chances of those failure modes?
The two primary standpipes are used in normal operation. The 3rd emergency standpipe is dry during normal operation (other than for a few seconds at startup). It provides fail-safe functionality to the two normally operating standpipes. Sure adding a 4th or 5th standpipe would add to the redundant operation. Simple logic and a truth table will show that the 3rd standpipe adds a very large margin of safety. Adding more emergency standpipes quickly passes the point of diminishing returns.
Why speak as an expert on something when you clearly do not understand the "how or why" of it, let alone the logic or physics behind the design? Sorry to be so harsh, but honestly, you have tried your damndest to put the desgin down but clearly do not understand it from eve the most basic standpoint. You may run an HOB setup for 20 years without a flood, that does not make them safe or not prone to floods. It just makes you lucky. I have worked out a system that does not rely on "luck" to be reliable.
Regards,
Bill

B

beananimal

Originally Posted by TurningTim
http:///forum/post/2605889
It's really not Beans idea. Great guy anywho! I think it the coast to coast really hit with Anthony Calfo when he was on -- and continued over at MD forums.[/b]
Thanks for the kind words, but after the last two post, you may feel differently ;)
You are correct, I did not come up with the basic principles of the design, that would be bernoulli :) As I mentioned above, the siphon assisting an open channel setup has been in use for the better part of modern history. A undeflow dam (power generation) and spillway use the same basic principle. What I did was add some basic fail-safe logic to the setup so that i could sleep well and not worry about mishaps or noise.
You are also correct in mentioning Anthony. He has pushed the idea of the coast-to-coast overflow for many years (he did not invent it either). He is a big proponent of surface skimming. He is also a local club member and friend (actually one of the founders).
Anyway, take care... I am sure my time here will be short lived anyway.

turningtim

Hey Bean

Probably don't remember me. haven't been over to -- in a bit. I never said AC invented it I said "Hit" for that reason. He himself does not take credit.
Your welcome for the compliment. I've learned a bunch from you and others over there. Now you gave me something else to think about before I set these tanks up.
I know I would like to have you visit over here every now and then but I would suggest you chill a bit. Its a bit more low key over here. Its not what you said but some folks don't know you and may take things a bit "harsh".
Anyhow your call! I'll have to check your site and see what I need to modify on my tanks.
Thanks for the quick visit!
Take care
Tim

B

beananimal

Originally Posted by TurningTim
http:///forum/post/2606040
Hey Bean

Probably don't remember me. haven't been over to -- in a bit. I never said AC invented it I said "Hit" for that reason. He himself does not take credit...
..but I would suggest you chill a bit. Its a bit more low key over here. Its not what you said but some folks don't know you and may take things a bit "harsh".
Sorry if my post made it sound like you were wrong... It was meant to add to the info so that others could get a grasp of where the ideas came from. You had it right :)
I am not out to get banned here, but it is jaw dropping to see people make comments that are so uninformed, and make them from an "expert" standpoint. The internet is full of very bad information, well meaning or not, it drives me nuts. Offering informed opinion is one thing... the above was not informed.

turningtim

I understand and IMHO there's not a whole bunch of innovation going on over here. As I stated before I know who you are (as much as you can by just reading!) and I respect your info. It would be nice to have someone of your experience over here.
But at the same time Doc is a good guy and meant no harm I'm sure. There are a bunch of good folks on here and I would hope you would be welcomed!
In any case have a good one!
Tim