135 gallon round reef tank table build

acrylic51

Hmmmmm I like, I like!!!!!! The bad thing is I'm not a structural engineer, and neither design I wouldn't attempt with wood.....The 2nd design I don't think the supports would actually support the weight....Basically not carrying the load.....A torsion panel is a very good example of how thin material combined actually forms a very solid rigid structure.....
With that said, I actually like the 1st design as well.....Personally if I was going to undertake this project, my first choice for build material on the stand would be aluminum/steel body......A heck of a lot structural stronger for this instance IMO......The aluminum/steel skeleton could easily be skinned with wood facing, and going with thin wood covering really opens your possibilities for some exotic woods IMO.......I would seek out a good welder and price a metal stand.....Just my .02

acrylic51

Curiously looking at the pics from above of the tank, and hard to tell.....is the overflow in the center made out of PVC or acrylic??? Either way the overflow could be scuffed and painted with Krylon Fushion paint.....It is water safe.....Problem is it doesn't hold up well IMO if your going to be doing a lot of scraping at it.......
Those pumps Little Giant 3's or 4's???? They look like 3's to me?????

rynosreef

well i am a welder and i work at a steel factory... aint that funny! the key with steel is its strong but costly. it would take alot more time to weld the frame up and if i wanted to change something i would have to tear down the tank just to do so. plus take the frame back to work and so on. so with wood i could screw my changes and do at home. i do agree that steel would be the way to go but i dont want to deal with all the problems that come with steel.
i did look up the make of the pumps and they are little giants and plan on a 30 gallon for the sump. the overflow is pvc but the system was plumped up for the return water to flow to the bottom and overflow. so some diy will be needed to plump it the way i would like it. but thanks, would u guys think i would need to add more support in the frame design?

acrylic51

If you opt wood I'd have to agree on design 1.....Design 2 doesn't have any structural support IMO.....I think you could weld up small main supports, but you could use a combination of wood/steel in the design....I just don't honestly see the wood at the angles you have drawn up really being structurally sound to support the weight....
What issues do you have or foresee with steel? Steel stands are done all the time with no issues, if proper prep work is done.....

rynosreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/387999/135-gallon-round-reef-tank-table-build/20#post_3419849
Curiously looking at the pics from above of the tank, and hard to tell.....is the overflow in the center made out of PVC or acrylic??? Either way the overflow could be scuffed and painted with Krylon Fushion paint.....It is water safe.....Problem is it doesn't hold up well IMO if your going to be doing a lot of scraping at it.......
Those pumps Little Giant 3's or 4's???? They look like 3's to me?????
as for the paint when u said scraping are u meaning like cleaning? i was thinking of making a artaficial coral insert to cover the overflow up as much as i can but for what i couldnt block the black paint would blend in better than white. i want to put black sand on the bottom so black would be the color i want to go with.

rynosreef

well i am never happen it seems like so with wood it would be easier to make changes than it would to tear down tank just to stand back to work and weld again.

acrylic51

The coral false wall sounds cool!!!!! You'll have to get Gemmy to chime in on that area.....The black paint would work well in that aspect of the overflow.....Do you have a small welder at the house???? You could pick a cheap 1 up from Harbor Freight and do all your tacks at the house, and once your set and everything fits good, take the stand to work to do the final welds????

rynosreef

ok got some 2x4s today and thinking the design of the stand is going to change a little but thinking its going to be safer in the long run. i will keep u posted.

channing93

Or maybe for covering the center you can get a larger piece of live rock and you could drill it out to make it a fit cover the pump that way you'd still be able to cover it in real coral just an Idea if your planning on adding coral to the tank instead of having some fake stuff in there:)

rynosreef

well i have decided to do a fish only tank. so far the list of fish is a bambo shark, and non-reef safe wrasses. i had a bambo befor but had to let him go bc i didnt have the room but now he would have all the room he would need. with having a four foot round tank and being a 1 1/2 foot tall he should be ok.

rynosreef

so i was thinking today about how to hide the overflow. i have some left overs of crushed coral, so i plan on getting some port cement number 2, and making live rock the will just go over the overflow. also today i started the cutting of the wood frame so far so good. i was planning on adding 4 post to make the stand stronger. my ideal for the post is to have my son, daughter, wife and i made a design of there liking and there names carved into the post. also i have been wanting to try a ideal of running the overflow water straight to the pump of the skimmer. i have alot planned for this setup so it may take me a little time but it will happen.....lol

acrylic51

Waiting for more pics!!!!
Your idea or thought of feeding your skimmer directly from the overflow can work, but keep in mind the skimmer can't be fed all the water from the overflow. Big key is to keep overflow stable, because it could effect the efficiency of the skimmer.

rynosreef

sorry for making u guys wait but due to unseen things the build will have to wait for a week or so. i will be up loading more pics of what i started in the next day or two. my wife and i are having a baby boy, who likes to give mommy problems....lol. but all is good E)

rynosreef

ok here are some pics! i started the one of many circles to come for the frame but here it is hope u all like. the next thing to come is to make the live rock for the overflow being it needs to cure for three months or until ph is stable. Just waiting on a guy at work to bring me some portland mix to get started, hope i can start it tomorrow? just let me know what u guys think!

rynosreef

ok so i got the frame work done and here are some pics. i also have a pic of the overflow to which i want to make a diy live rock that will slip right over it to hide it.

rynosreef

ok so got all the mix for the diy live rock and i started the styrofoam frame that i will coat the mix with. it looks bad but when i get the mix on the styrofoam and round it all out it should look like a one of a kind. my girl wants a cave in it yet so alittle more work but it should be cool. so give me ur comments please.

rainbow grouper

Looks great.When you say cover the Styrofoam in LR mix, is the Styrofoam going in the tank or are you using the Styrofoam as a stencil?