14 Gallons of Fury: A Nano Diary

meowzer

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3240720
That one is a level 4 because of it poor survival rate, not that it competes for food or will harm horses. Also hard on water quality.
You do know that a 14 gal is too small for most lrg species of horses. 30 gal and up. The only one is H Fuscus and 14 gal is pushing it.
T
AHHHH...Thanks for the explanation on the gorg

gbellx

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3240720
That one is a level 4 because of it poor survival rate, not that it competes for food or will harm horses. Also hard on water quality.
You do know that a 14 gal is too small for most lrg species of horses. 30 gal and up. The only one is H Fuscus and 14 gal is pushing it.
T
I don't want to keep large horses. I am not sure I even want to keep them at all...I am still debating just doing a reef tank.
I am the type of person that researches for 2-3 hours before I buy anything...and this forum is a form or research for me. I have not/will not ever buy anything without knowing pretty much everything about it.
I appreciate the comments Teresa, they are very helpful. Do you know where I can find maybe a list of smaller breeds that would work in a 14 gallon? I don't want to do a gaggle of horses, just a pair. I am currently soaking up all I can from Seahorse.com.

mrdc

I went to a LFS yesterday to trade in a bunch of montipora and I saw a 2 inch frag of the exact same color gorgonian as yours. I wondered what it looked like when it gets bigger and now I know and want it even more. I need to read up on them on how to care for them. Thanks for sharing.

gbellx

well...I broke the bank this time!
PICTURE:

Haha...j/k...just got some food for my Gorg. this time.
But, went to a great LFS! Never went to this one before saw a bunch of awesome fish!
They gave me a ton of ideas on what to do with my tank...
- They dashed my hopes with Seahorses (They had some there and my wife said "not as cute as I thought")
- More reef style of a fish tank...with...you guessed it...Clownfish. (My wife saw the Snowflake Clowns and about passed out...shes like "we need those guys...but not at 500 a pop.)
Anyway...whats the verdict with Mandarin Dragonet? Would a 14 gallon be too small? The lady at the LFS store said that it would be...but...I am not sure if I have the same view point...I had one before, they are awesome!
Almost snagged a Maze Brain Coral for $50, but then the check out would have been $100....a bit much this week to spend on fish stuff.
I have a lot to think about....I am leaning on Picasso Clownfish...we will see...

nissan577

IMO a mandarin will do good in your tank but you have to have lots of pods! just wait till you have lots of pods and have a fuge in the back and your tank has been 5-6 months establish

gbellx

alright....I have green alge now! Super pumped.
Now...I have 4 smallish crabs and 2 turbo snails, and they arent cutting it as far as alge eating. They sit around all day, LAZY CRABS!
I need something that looks cool and will absolutely destroy alge. Any thoughts?

gbellx

Did a water test today:
Calcium : 420 mg/L (ppm)
Carbonate Hardness : 179 ppm KH (10 dKH)
Phosphate : 0.0 ppm
Nitrate : 0.0 ppm

gbellx

After further review with my wife....we came up with a stock list of what we want to put in.
Clowfish x2 (Probably grade B Picasso)
Green Mandrin
Lawnmower Blenny (And fast!)
My algae is getting ridiculous and my 2 snails are either tired of eating, or just plain lazy...and my crabs are not any better.
I was wondering to myself, that sounds like a few to many fish...but then again, none competing for food. But, what do you guys think? Am I going to be overloaded with that list?

gbellx

I have several kinds of Algae and would like to know 2 or 3 things about them...1) Name
2) Good OR bad
3) If bad, how to get rid of it
Here we go....
Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Exhibit D

Exhibit E

Also going to toss this post up in the "Id Please" section...

Y

yoshii

I'm pretty sure A is coralline, not totally sure though, it's kinda blurry

gbellx

Hey!
Its been awhile since my last post...here are a few pics!
Maze Brain Coral

New Sixline!

Sleeping!