15 gallon frag tank!

silverdak

just a tip.. next time you take a picture of the results.. flip the cards so the colors are next to your sample... just a though might make it easier to tell

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Brewski4u1
http:///forum/post/2659425
tested again today! and nothing has changed at all! UGH!!

like i said befor this is gonna take forever!
take alook here are the test results!

your cycle was over the 1rst time you posted those test results. Your results show zero ammonia, zero nitrites and 5ppm of nitrates. Those are clear pictures and I'm well familiar with API test kits. you only need to test for ammonia first. until thats at zero no point in wasting test fluid. Once its at zero all you need to test is nitrites. Until nitrites are at zero there is no point in testing anything else. Once nitrites are at zero you can test for nitrates and ammonia once more just to make sure. your cycle is over once you have zero ammonia and nitrites regardless of what nitrates are. If nitrates are more than 5ppm you should do your first water change (not a bad idea to do a water change after the cycle has completed anyway).

brewski4u1

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2659732
your cycle was over the 1rst time you posted those test results. Your results show zero ammonia, zero nitrites and 5ppm of nitrates. Those are clear pictures and I'm well familiar with API test kits. you only need to test for ammonia first. until thats at zero no point in wasting test fluid. Once its at zero all you need to test is nitrites. Until nitrites are at zero there is no point in testing anything else. Once nitrites are at zero you can test for nitrates and ammonia once more just to make sure. your cycle is over once you have zero ammonia and nitrites regardless of what nitrates are. If nitrates are more than 5ppm you should do your first water change (not a bad idea to do a water change after the cycle has completed anyway).

so what your sayin is that by the results i have put up on here my tank has cycled in 5 maybe 6 days? anyone else find this a little fishy ! lol

stanlalee

http:///forum/post/2659755
so what your sayin is that by the results i have put up on here my tank has cycled in 5 maybe 6 days? anyone else find this a little fishy ! lol

you used a crap load of psuedo live sand with bacteria and all you used for ammonia was a single shrimp you took out at 2ppm (which is good). no reason you should have a long cycle. Sounds like the rock came from a curing bin too since you hand selected it.

brewski4u1

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2659828
you used a crap load of psuedo live sand with bacteria and all you used for ammonia was a single shrimp you took out at 2ppm (which is good). no reason you should have a long cycle. Sounds like the rock came from a curing bin too since you hand selected it.
yea thats tru when i got the rock home it had pretty much no smell to it at all!! so it was prob fully cured! so you think i should keep testing for the rest of the week and it stays this way do a water change fri and add a CUC over the weekend?

stanlalee

http:///forum/post/2659867
yea thats tru when i got the rock home it had pretty much no smell to it at all!! so it was prob fully cured! so you think i should keep testing for the rest of the week and it stays this way do a water change fri and add a CUC over the weekend?
you could but since you dont have any live stock your testing is not going to get worse. I would just wait 2-3days and do a last test before adding the CUC (well I'd just do it now since you've already tested fine twice but just for safety sake I made up the 2-3 day wait lol).

brewski4u1

well just an update! tank is done cycling! did a 3 gallon water change a few days ago and everything still test at 0 !!! not i have another problem! lol
the clip on light i had planed on using i lent to a buddy of mine who now wont give it back! ugh!!! so is it gonna hurt not to have a light for a week or 2 more? also can i add a CUC w/ out a light do they need the light at all?
for a light im in the process of trying to get a 5 watt Sunpaq Metal halide hqi 14k! does anyone have any opinions about this light? i'm waiting on its demisions! but as long as its close to 24 in i can make it work! and do you think 75w MH is enough for the frag tank?
thanks for the help w/ all the questions

brewski4u1

picking up my new light tomm its kinda a drive to get it but worth it cause its a killer deal! i'll have pics up tomm night once i get it all set up and everything!

while you all wait on the pics try and help me out on some of the questions above! thank you !

brewski4u1

heat build up not worried about! its only a 75w! and skimming not gonna happen! lol its a 15 not a 150

well the light is here after a long drive there and back and a few coffees to keep me awake! and the monsoon i had to drive thru ! its finally here only one little prob tank is 24 long light is 21 long lol !
so i guess this weekend i will fab up some brackets! i would post pics but my camera is dead! so tomm i will !

Everyones going to give their "opinion" on what your doing, but really its your tank you can put whatever you want in it, personally if I had a frag tank, I'd have a little bit of LR and LS and probably 1 fish that doesn't really need a pair :)

btw, looks great so far....I am transfering my 15g to my JBJ, so I may buy some of your frags eventually :)...I plan to load my 28g jbj to the core lol

You should have live rock in your frag tank or in the sump connect to the frag tank. What I did was hook my frag tank into my main system that way I could put everything in that day. I didn't have to buy live sand or LR just new lights. I had sand in the bottom and got rid of it, it just collects junk and is more of problem. I would rather have a sump/fuge in line than live sand if thats possible.

brewski4u1

thanks for all the comments people thank you very much went out and got a clean up crew and there all in the tank and seem happy ! i'll start the fragging next weekend when i have some free time! kinda worried about fragging but theres only one way to learn and i have been doing alot of reading on this site about it so only time will tell!