150 gallon start up help

redc5vette

Its not a sealed bag not sure if it matters or not. also the snails were going to be given to me not sure if i should take them or just wait and buy some after i get the tank up and going

redc5vette

210lbs of live sand later I now have the water in and just waiting on it to clear up after i got the air bubbles out of the sand. I will be hooking up the refugium on monday, giving all the sand time to settle down a bit. I will also be ordering the rock next weekend or the weekend after hopefully. I also have two 110 filters running should i turn them off or go ahead and let them keep water flowing. Also how hardy are emerald craps the local store has a HUGE one haha and I would really really like to get it but with there being no live rock or even having my first cycle would it kill him after the cycle or could he tough it out???? I did have my water checked and they said everything was great except the alky was a bit low

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by redc5vette http:///t/388602/150-gallon-start-up-help/20#post_3430451
210lbs of live sand later I now have the water in and just waiting on it to clear up after i got the air bubbles out of the sand. I will be hooking up the refugium on monday, giving all the sand time to settle down a bit. I will also be ordering the rock next weekend or the weekend after hopefully. I also have two 110 filters running should i turn them off or go ahead and let them keep water flowing. Also how hardy are emerald craps the local store has a HUGE one haha and I would really really like to get it but with there being no live rock or even having my first cycle would it kill him after the cycle or could he tough it out???? I did have my water checked and they said everything was great except the alky was a bit low
No, wait until your cycle is over before you put any livestock in your tank.

redc5vette

hahah i really want this lil guy though its by far the biggest emerald ive ever seen. I'm going to see if they will hold it in their tanks haha

mmyuki

Just watch out with emerald crabs I have had bad luck..Even with all the grazing on the rock and stuff that they do they also ate about half of my snails and actually got one of my clowns as well.

redc5vette

really?????? I had them in my last one and they did great. Well they were also very small so that prolly would be the reason. This one here is prolly the size of a soda can top

redc5vette

I did go to he store but they wouldnt hold it. so I bought a beautiful piece of live rock. and it came with a few red hermits. really hoping they do ok in the tank

redc5vette

I'm going to try and load them on facebook. download from there and then post them hah. It looks kind of crappy right now. The water is really cloudy from stirring up the sand

redc5vette

Any way to speed up getting the water to clear up? I unplugged the filters but not seeing much of a change. And I'll take some new ones tomorrow and load them up. I want to get it looking somewhat descent lol

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by redc5vette http:///t/388602/150-gallon-start-up-help/20#post_3430705
Any way to speed up getting the water to clear up? I unplugged the filters but not seeing much of a change. And I'll take some new ones tomorrow and load them up. I want to get it looking somewhat descent lol
Turn the filters back on.... just let it be... take a chill pill....... the number one thing in this hobby is patience.

snakeblitz33

Leave everything turned on and give it a few days. I wouldn't worry about getting it clear, lol. This hobby takes time and patience. If you are talking about the sand being stirred up, leave it alone and it will clear up. If it's a bacterial bloom, then that's something else entirely.

redc5vette

I honestly thought the filters may have been a bit much and that was causing the cloudiness. I'll go ahead and turn them back on and just wait it out lol

snakeblitz33

If you let it settle with everything off, and you turn everything on - it will just cloud up again. lol Gotta let everything settle with the equipment going, or else there is no point.

redc5vette

Well I meant since i have very little rock in the aquarium right now. I thought maybe the filters were making a bit too much current. but trying to upload pictures right now

redc5vette

O I have the filter on the front because of the refugium hanging on the backside of the glass. Ill have a black wallpaper on the back after it gets fully setup, and ill have the lights on top with a cover after the rock gets it. Right now I have the led moonlights just sitting on the back to give it some color. and I have two heaters set on 80