1500ma ballasts NOT required for VHO

ramey70

A dual ballast 175MH setup with reflector and socket will be $282.50 with 5500K bulbs or $350.80 with 10000K bulbs. These include ballasts, mirror finish reflector, bulbs, and sockets.

bbreaux1

just wondering what yall think about this article on icecap site
<a href="http://www.icecapinc.com/famaarticle.htm" target="_blank">http://www.icecapinc.com/famaarticle.htm</a>

deucey

yeah I agree with REN if you compair the ones at lowes or HD to the $119 Hamilton unit you are missing the point that the hamilton unit is wired already all you need is endcaps......AND HEY WHAT ARE YOU GUYS MISSING.....IT SAYS "RUNS TWO NOT FOUR BUT TWO VHO BULBS IN THE 2'(75W),OR TWO 3' (95W) OR TWO 4' (110W) CONFIGURATION ON AN 800MA BALLAST!! WHAT MORE NEED I SAY! LOOK THIS IS THE BOTTOM LINE 800MA IS 800MA WEATHER OR NOT IT CAME FROM HAMILTON OR HD!!! GET WITH IT GUYS!! I don't care what the wattage rating is on the one at HD if it is a 800mA ballast that is ran off of 120vAC it is the same as the 800mA ballast you have.....dude get over it.....he has the same thing you do...only cheaper!! :D

wamp

Rmaey70,
The problem lies here. You fisrt stated that you had to have 1500ma.. Than you said 800ma would work. After that you switched to the wattage topic. You said that it would not work. That was the basis of this whole argument. Then you said it would work but at a diminished output. Now you say it will work fine but only for 6 months or so. I AGREE with you and the guys on the whole Bulbs going bad sooner but the whole point of this thread was that they would not work. The reason for the current rating is for start up. After startup the ballast works less. Now, having said that, You and LOTR are correct in the fact that in the long run you would be better off to go with a stronger ballast, but that is not what the original question was. It was that it will work. I hope not to have steped on anyones toes because that was not my intention but, it does work. It has worked for ren and probably a few other people. I am arguing both sides of the track here. I have the real thing but also know that the others work but not quite as efficent or as long.

ramey70

Not exactly, the guys at URI and Hamilton said it would work for 4 to 6 months if, and only if, the wattage of the ballast was rated at a at 220watts. The ballast in question is rated at 160 watts. So it (according to URI and Hamilton) would be effective for an even shorter period than 4 to 6 months.
Deucey
An 800ma ballast rated at 160watts from HD is not the same as an 800ma ballast from Hamilton rated at 220watts. That is the word straight from Hamilton. If you don't like it then take it up with them. And no, his is definitely not the same as mine. I have a 1500ma 440watt electronic VHO from HelloLights, not Hamilton.
As for as it "working" well if you want to call investing $170 so you can have VHO lighting for maybe 2 or 3 months before a $90 bulb change "working" then I finally admit that it "works".
Wamp
Please don't misundertand my intentions here. It was not to trash Ren and make him look bad. As I said earlier, I didn't think it was fair for a new person in this hobby to go out and try this setup only to actually lose money in the long run. Trust me, this isn't the first time I've taken heat when the arrogant Texan comes out in me.

deucey

okay man.......you see you have a ballast for up to 4 110watt bulbs......he has a system for 2 110 watt bulbs but you say it will not work correctly because it is not rated at 220 watts....well it is a matter of opinion and obviously you don't understand the laws and princpals of electricty or electronics......these are not bulbs with filiments.....these are FLORESENT....meaning they have Phosphores that glow when energized by electricty!...When the bulb lights it is lit no questions and yes the will most likely burn out faster that is not the point....it will work and maybe just as good as your HELLOLIGHTS unit!

ramey70

"you say it will not work correctly because it is not rated at 220 watts....well it is a matter of opinion"
No it is a matter of fact, not opinion. Look this is what Hamilton and URI told me. Like I said, if you have a problem with the information then take it up with them. I'm fairly certain that URI knows the ins and outs of their own product a little more than "Deucey" on the SWF message board.
By the way, you might want to read up on "laws and principals of electricity and electronics". The phospors are not "energized by electricity". A small amount of mercury inside the tube is vaporized which releases invisible uv rays that strike the phosphors which coat the inside of the tube. The uv rays make the phospors glow with visible light.
My ballast maintains a lamp life of 12 months. The GE ballast (according to URI and Hamilton) will provide a lamp life of 2 to 3 months. I would dare to say that is not "working just as good as my HelloLights unit".

ren

Ramey if you had or have no intention of an attempt to slam me then why did you jump in and start poking at me from the start? Posting that I know nothing of what I was talking about and just misleading people with things that won't work? See, argue with your stubborn Texas attitude all ya want - I've lived in Texas before, lol, and know how to deal with em - j/k.
I think it's finally settled now that 1500 mA is not required for VHO bulbs UP TO 48". Beyond that I don't know. Lifespan - another not researched. But I do believe that more than 6 months. I've read all different views on VHO lifespans. I'm sure that you must agree that a dealer will give you poorest minimum in hopes that you will purchase more. Not a conspiracy theory here just common business practice.
My setup - now I was robbed on the bulbs here but anyways- 2 Lowes electronic ballasts 27.99 each. 4 bulbs (ouch here) 30 bucks apiece - I've found them for 17 on the net since, and I used 2 old 2-bulb 48" shoplights for the housing - wire and endcaps already there which can be bought for 10 bucks each. I'm a cheap ba... huh, lol. So putting bulbs aside - 80 bucks plus bulbs for 4 110W VHO's compaired to ...
So if someone wanted to add 2 bulbs cheaply - about 40 bucks plus bulbs.
Some other tidbits I found - Ramey it seems that all the data sheets I could find for the 1500mA ballasts state that they are parallel not series. Now I couldn't find a data sheet for Icecaps but if you look at the wireing diagrams on thier site they can't be series. From how the 4 bulb configuration is wired with a common return for all bulbs.

ren

Krusk - read the 250W MH for 100 bucks thread. Bad thing with MH is that you will need to add some type of actinic kicker. seems that the 6500K iwansaki - however its spelled lol- bulb is the best bang. That setup is complete - not bad for MH lighting. Thinking about doing it least anyone has any objections as to its validity???
Not on my 100gl but the 54 corner - well who knows maybe add it to the 100 too?!?

ramey70

Ren
I've thought about that (bulb life) a lot but the information does mesh. Hamilton really has no vested interest in stating the same bulb life information since they don't manufacture VHO bulbs. I would even think they would have more to gain by saying the bulbs last longer than 6 months. Also, I had that same Hamilton ballast (bought it from Petwarehouse.com). My bulbs did indeed lose spectrum in 5 months with a noticable gain in hair algea. My sister runs a tanning business and she says URI is usually right about the bulb life for her beds (URI also makes tanning bulbs).

chucky

I always thought to run a vho bulb to it's full output you need a 1500ma ballast doesn't matter the numbers of bulbs you use as long as it is a 1500ma. If hamilton is selling a 800ma and calling it a vho ballast they are ripping you off i'll never waste my money on that ballast thats a ho ballast that you can get at your local lighting store.
Chuck

ren

Too funny chucky, ya start off with 'I always thought' and end with 'thier ripping you off'. Did you take time to read the arguments here?

chucky

I read most of them all i know is a vho bulb is 1500ma and a ho bulb is 800ma big difference 800 is not a vho and never will be .
Chuck

broomer5

It has been interesting reading I will admit.
Aside from a little name calling and frustration, it has been for the most part a fairly decent exchange of ideas and facts.
When it gets frustrating and you feel you're at the end of your rope - just tie a knot in it and hang on for awhile.
Right or wrong - fact or fiction - everyone does have a right to do what they want with their equipment.
Claiming it is the best for all is not always the right thing to do.
Slamming someone for trying something is not always the right thing to do.
Allowing each other to do as they please - and make their own choices based upon their own research is by far the best we can do.
Pretty good thread for the most part - thanks for all the work and details.
Carry on ......... :p

bbreaux1

i found a site on electronic ballast the other day and it said 800ma was ho and 1500ma was vho wish i could find it again

bbreaux1

<a href="http://www.advancetransformer.com/techcenter/flb/circuit%20types.asp" target="_blank">http://www.advancetransformer.com/techcenter/flb/circuit%20types.asp</a>
it says it about halfway down and says some other stuff about differnt kinda of electronic ballast

ren

I wonder if icecap and URI are in partnership?? Or same company overall? Take Pacbell/Nevada bell/Ameritech/ and some others all different companies? Yes but all owned by SBC. Everytime I try to find out any info on icecaps there's the stats for URI as well. Anyway, Icecaps 660's have a max line amperage of 4.4A and if you look at the wiring diagrams here : <a href="http://www.icecapinc.com/wire660-4.htm" target="_blank">http://www.icecapinc.com/wire660-4.htm</a>
you'll see that they are wired in series - not parallel. What does this mean - well in parallel (end to end) the same current would pass through all bulbs however in series it will split between the bulbs. Now with the 4.4A max divided between 4 bulbs is 1.1A -1100mA. Now I find this pretty interesting comming from the showboat of VHO.
As for bulblife - from Icecap they state that thier ballasts cause the bulbs to run cooler therefore extending the life. That is reasonable and I agree except for 1 thing - heat comes from power. As far as I know, more current will increase power therefore increasing temperature. Point being made here is that the higher the current the more heat generated.
Wamp, your a fellow electronics guy am I missing something here?

wamp

That makes sense but there are other factors such as frequency and still resistance. Heat is from the transformer. There are several diffrent types out there. Solid core, air core....... I guess that depending on the type they use has an effect on heat. Since they are electronic ballasts I have no Clue.
I did see some at lowes for 37.99 today that had 110w rating and max current at 4amps. looked closer and saw the 110w was for 4 foot bulbs.. Is this the one you are using?