1st Ever Cycle - Filter on or off?

statto

Hello all
Just filling my tank with RO and adding salt
Should be cycling very soon
I have a canister filter
During the cycle should I run the filter or not?
Cheers
Statto

If you only have a canister filter run it the whole time. You don't want to put carbon or anything like that in but other than that keep it running.

valeram

Originally Posted by privatejoker
http:///forum/post/2759282
If you only have a canister filter run it the whole time. You don't want to put carbon or anything like that in but other than that keep it running.
Can you please elaborate about not putting (activated?)carbon in the filter. Thanks.

socal57che

Originally Posted by valeram
http:///forum/post/2759443
Can you please elaborate about not putting (activated?)carbon in the filter. Thanks.
Carbon removes chemicals/toxins. What chemicals/toxins could you have this early in the game unless you introduced them? If you did inadvertently introduce them, then the source needs to be eliminated. I.E., using tap water.
I run a canister. Be sure you clean it often. Left unchecked it will collect waste and become a source of nitrates. IMO, it requires much more frequent service than a HOB. I used to run carbon in my canister, but it was too much hassle to remember to remove and change/rinse it. You can't just add carbon and leave it. I run carbon occasionally, but now use the media chamber in my skimmer because it is super easy to get to.
Just a reminder...use saltwater removed at water change time to rinse your filter media in. Using fresh water to clean it will kill beneficial bacteria, which is your true filter.

socal57che

Regarding your initial post, I agree with Bang Guy and PJ. (Thanks for the link, Guy. I'll be sharing that one) Run the filter, especially if you are using the bio-media that came with it. You will want the media to grow bacteria during your cycle.

valeram

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2759514
Carbon removes chemicals/toxins. What chemicals/toxins could you have this early in the game unless you introduced them? If you did inadvertently introduce them, then the source needs to be eliminated. I.E., using tap water.
I run a canister. Be sure you clean it often. Left unchecked it will collect waste and become a source of nitrates. IMO, it requires much more frequent service than a HOB. I used to run carbon in my canister, but it was too much hassle to remember to remove and change/rinse it. You can't just add carbon and leave it. I run carbon occasionally, but now use the media chamber in my skimmer because it is super easy to get to.
Just a reminder...use saltwater removed at water change time to rinse your filter media in. Using fresh water to clean it will kill beneficial bacteria, which is your true filter.

Thanks for the explanations and tip on using carbon on the skimmer. I am also using a canister filter but how often do you clean yours?

socal57che

Every couple weeks, so you'll want easy access. Many people do not use the media. They just run the filter pretty much as a powerhead with extra water capacity. It will still collect waste though, so I use the filter media. I figure I might as well catch as much as possible. If you run it empty you will need more live rock, IMO, to house bacteria.

Why waste the carbon, its doing little to nothing to start. Once you get fish and critters in your tank run the carbon otherwise your wasting money.