2 for 1 Cleaner Shrimp

dani*s*mom

Last night we went to LFS and bought 12 snails and a cleaner shrimp to help clear out the considerable hair algae and diatoms in our 29 gal tank. This is our first experience with either. My daughter woke up this morning, ran to the tank and sitting on a rock was the EMPTY shell of the cleaner shrimp. She yells out "OMG moms gonna be so mad the clowns ate the shrimp!" She and my husband had no idea that they molted and thought it had become a tasty appetizer over night. Then they saw the live shrimp hanging upside down under a rock and went "whoa, we've got two of them". It was so cute. And very cool that it shed its "exo" on the first night. What a cool lesson for a 9 year old.
Also, man do those snail really munch through some algae. They went to work immediately. We watched them in the dark with flashlights. Tank was soooooo clean this morning!
How fun was that! :joy: :cheer:

dani*s*mom

Should I be concerned then? Or is that a normal stress reaction from being aclimated to the tank? It was surprising that it happened so fast. The shrimp had been at the LFS for over 3 weeks and we acclimated for 2 hrs before adding to the tank. Is there something else I should look for or be prepared to experience?
Joanne

larrynews

dont mean to bump but what tv staion do you work at....i worked in tv for 20 years before i became a stay home dad

dani*s*mom

I freelance. Offers me flexability since I have a daughter in school now. But started out at WAGA in Atlanta in '81, then CNN Environment unit in the early 90's. I work on non-linear systems now. Lots of changes in the industry.
How long have you had your reef tank? I am just starting out with a FOWLRLS. What's your favorite invert?

pontius

shrimp molt in order to grow. every shrimp I've had has molted on the first night. I think it has as much to do with change of address, calcium, salinity, etc than with stress. my shrimp are so happy I can't imagine them being stressed.
also, what kind of snails did you get? I've yet to meet a snail that will eat hair algae.

rubberduck

Originally posted by Pontius
shrimp molt in order to grow. every shrimp I've had has molted on the first night. I think it has as much to do with change of address, calcium, salinity, etc than with stress. my shrimp are so happy I can't imagine them being stressed.
also, what kind of snails did you get? I've yet to meet a snail that will eat hair algae.

mine molted on third but that doesnt realy matter

jal1639

"Change of address, calcium, salinity, etc." = STRESS. If you moved, changed your diet and weather, you would be stressed, too. You might have constipation or diarrhea. Shrimp molt.
Nothing to worry about. When we move shrimp from tank to tank and then to flasks they molt. They also molt to grow. It is normal.

dani*s*mom

Pontius - I bought Turbo/Astrea Snails. Also, on closer inspection I ended up with a hermit crab as well. Didn't know until after I bought them that one was a crab. Maybe, the crab ate the hair algea. Or maybe I am wrong about it being hair algea. It looks like dark red hair. Kinda like a really bad dye job!
But this morning it was gone. So I am not sure what ate it. The shrimp, the crab or the snail? Had to be one of them.
Glad to hear that the shrimp molting is normal. Or at least has happened to others.
We are really enjoying this new hobby. Hope we can keep it up. It sure is fun. A real family affair.
Thanks for everyones comments. -Joanne

snipe

Turbo/Astrea
Turbo's good
Astrea's bad
Astrea snails need assitance when they fall off rocks and stuff to turn back over. And believe me they do it alot. I gave up on them my bumble bee snails sure enjoyed them yum yum. IMO It was a waste of money for me I bought 10 and only have 3 left.

dani*s*mom

Hi Snipe, How would I tell the difference between the two. I know thats a stupid newbie question so I am sorry but when I purchased them at LFS they just said they are turbo/astrea. Some live in bumpy cone shaped shells with lots of coraline on them. The picture in snail section on swf.com says that is a turbo. That is what I have most of. Nine of them I think. I also have two smooth shelled black and white ones with no coraline growing on them. Are they the astrea? Or do I have it reversed. I also have a grey crab that lives in a shell similar to the nine bumpy coraline covered snails. When I bought them, the sales guys thought they were all snails I guess cause thats what I asked for...12 snails. What I got was 11 snails and a hermit.
When you look at the turbo/astrea pictures on swf.com they all look the same. I can't figure it out.

snipe

here is a turbo they may not have the same color but there they have the same shell form.

dani*s*mom

Snipe - Thanks for the pics. I have 9 astreas! And 1 unknown!
(one died yesterday) The 1 unknown has a black shell, vey smooth, with a white swirl on the shell. I will keep an eye on the astreas, so far I have had no problem with them turning over and not righting themselves. They just seem to hang on the glass walls and motor around. Although at night I don't know what they're doing because I am asleep. :) Something is eating algae off the LS and one of my LR. I think it is the hermit crab though cause I don't see any snails on the sand ever. And only one snail goes on my LR.
I'll keep a look out though.
Hey edwar050 - Go eat a Dreamland slab-o-ribs for me! We have a Dreamland here in Atlanta but it is way far away from my house so I don't ever get there! Sigh!

edwar050

will do, might go to dreamland this weekend. I love dreamland BBQ's ribs although i wish they had more on the menu, like pulled pork sandwiches, or steak with mashed potatoes. MMMM suthern' food