2 id's please

rsd

The first 2 picks are of a type of worm... I think. When extended it is only about 1 to 2 inches and less than 1/4 inch wide.
the second pic is of a coral that at first was labeled as a zoo... and I believed them. It was closed so tight it looked like a colony of zoos... I couldn't pass it up. After 2 days in my tank it extended out and has since been ID'ed as an Alveopora. They think so because of the pedal. It has shown significant growth over the past 6 months and I would like some more advice on the ID.
Thanks

rsd

Worm # 2
Same worm, different time.
It can completely retract and move itself about. They are in all the dark places inmy tank and throughout my fuge.

rsd

Coral. Again... has been ID'ed by LFS as an Alveo... but I'm not sure. Could be a gonio but not too convinced of that either... especially since it is actually growing instead of dying.

bang guy

#1 is a Ctenophore. They will probably die out soon unless you have a LOT of Zooplankton in your tank.
#2 looks like a Red Goniopora. Alveopora only have 12 tentacles on the polyps, Goniopora have 24.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Bang Guy
#1 is a Ctenophore. They will probably die out soon unless you have a LOT of Zooplankton in your tank.
#2 looks like a Red Goniopora. Alveopora only have 12 tentacles on the polyps, Goniopora have 24.

Understanding Bang Guy 101
#1 ctenophore - biradially symmetrical hermaphroditic solitary marine animals resembling jellyfishes - me I would have said finger like hydroid.
#2 Goniopora. Color is self explanitory, discription is well enough - I would have said flowerpot coral.
:happy:

What can I say its Pick on Bang Guy hour, but thats only for us that wish we knew as much as he DOES

Have a good one Guy. :hilarious
Thomas

bang guy

Originally posted by Thomas712
#1 ctenophore - biradially symmetrical hermaphroditic solitary marine animals resembling jellyfishes -

Sure... that's a LOT more understandable :confused:

bang guy

Just wanted to mention that the Red Goniopora seems to have a much better survival rate than the Green variety.

rsd

Happy to hear about the red Goni. It is growing faster than I expected it too... of course it's size varies day to day but at night when it retracts I am seeing an increase in the number of polyps and the diameter has increases over 1/4 inch.
As for the ctenophore, I am proud to say I have alot of small plankton type critters. I have taken alot of care to create an environment for food to thrive. Right now I have a monthly cycle of "critters" for about 10 days each month, from about an hour after lights out till 2 hours later, then again just before lights on there is a "cloud" that comes out of everything and overtakes my tank. Shine a light through it and they all gather to the glass.
This also explains the number of stowaway tunicates, sponges, and the sea of filter feeders that are ever growing through all the rocks and crevises.
Thanks for the ID's. I always appreciate someone taking the time to share their knowledge.