2 JUMPERS in 2 DAYS!!!

meowzer

AHHHH yesterday I lost my $40 McCosker Flasher Wrasse behind the tank, and today I found my flame cardinal dead on the carpet....Why do these fish jump? And I have eggcrate..I can't believe they jump from the water and make it through that little opening...

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2923578
AHHHH yesterday I lost my $40 McCosker Flasher Wrasse behind the tank, and today I found my flame cardinal dead on the carpet....Why do these fish jump? And I have eggcrate..I can't believe they jump from the water and make it through that little opening...

2 fish in 2 days. Had the same exact thing happen to me as well about 1 month ago. My clown was bothering both fish but I did wonder if something was going on with my water.

detguy313

eggcrate will not hold in flasher wrasses at all..you need a glass top or something with smaller holes i use a nylon mesh top and the holes are 1/4" i have not lost a flasher yet..but mccoskers and other flashers are known jumpers and will do so if being chased..sorry to hear about you loss

meowzer

well due to MH lights, nylon is out, and so are glass lids...had them before...
Temp is 80, water is good...guess they just wanted air...LOL...I think I'll stay away from wrasses...I didn't know cardinals would jump though?

Sorry to hear it. My flame hawkfish did a triple lindy last night as well... must be something in the air! HE WAS SO AWESOME!! That was the killer.
That and my daughter is hearbroken I'm searching around for a replacement... any good suggestions? 47g reef with 3 green chromis currently residing.

meowzer

IDK if it would or not, but it would probably deflect too much light....
Reifer...I just looked up the hawkfish....beautiful fish, sorry for your loss...The dwarf flame angel is a nice fish, and angels don't jump...It will also be appropriate for your size tank

crypt keeper

where would one get such crates? That is horrible and i dont want it to happen to myself.
does glass reflect too much light and not allow it to fully penetrate the water?

meowzer

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2923744
where would one get such crates? That is horrible and i dont want it to happen to myself.
does glass reflect too much light and not allow it to fully penetrate the water?
The egg crate I got at home depot.....the glass holds in too much heat.

I removed my glass because my corals weren't opening up under my MH and PC lighting set up. As soon as I took it off they opened right up and are doing very well. I've heard that it does cut down on the effectiveness of the lighting. This weekend I am going to try to find eggcrate to cover the top of my tank.
Everything I've seen is this pre-cut stuff. I want to find one that is large enough that I can custom cut it myself for my tank.

crypt keeper

Thank you sorry for the hijack but its sort of on topic as that i dont want jumpers.
Can you post pics of your crated tops?
I just picked up a 75 I plan on a few simple corals and some fish. To go along with my other two tanks. The madness has to stop right??

crypt keeper

would a metal reptile top work? If you had stuff on the back you could cut out the section and leave the framing so it would stay strong.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2923625
well due to MH lights, nylon is out, and so are glass lids...had them before...
Temp is 80, water is good...guess they just wanted air...LOL...I think I'll stay away from wrasses...I didn't know cardinals would jump though?
There is a clear mesh top that many people use (including myself)with MH. You have to make a frame using a screen kit from Home depot or Lowes. I don't think I can post the link to the build thread from my local reef forum.