2 Species of Clowns?

seek

I'm currently building a 80 gallaon reef tank. When it's finished i'd like to put a pair or small school of B&W Perc clowns in AND if possible a pair of True perc Clowns in. Would both of these clownfish species get along in a 80 gallon reef. Would i need more than one Carpet Anemone in for them both to host or would they share a large one? If this specific set of clowns wouldn't work is there a clown fish that would get along with B&W perc clowns? :happyfish

dawman

Well , in my 55 gallon I have two Ocellaris Clowns and a Clarkii . The get along great . All three sleep in the same cave and play together . I also have two percs and two cinnomon clowns in my 75 gallon and no probs what so ever . With the exception of a Maroon , I wouldn`t say you can`t mix species . They say not to but so far I haven`t seen any problems personally.

seek

thank you for ur posts. I have seen mixed species of clowns at the Monteray Bay Aquarium but, the tank was well over 200 gallons. I may just stick witha school of one species to be safe.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Dawman
Well , in my 55 gallon I have two Ocellaris Clowns and a Clarkii . The get along great . All three sleep in the same cave and play together . I also have two percs and two cinnomon clowns in my 75 gallon and no probs what so ever . With the exception of a Maroon , I wouldn`t say you can`t mix species . They say not to but so far I haven`t seen any problems personally.
I can assure you that the situations you are describing are almost always temporary. It usually ends violently once one of the Clowns matures into a female. How long have you had these Clownfish?

dawman

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I can assure you that the situations you are describing are almost always temporary. It usually ends violently once one of the Clowns matures into a female. How long have you had these Clownfish?
I`ve have had them in my 75 gallon for 4 years and my 55 gallon for 3 years .

seek

I dont have the clownfish yet... I wouldn't just toss em' in to see if it works. ^.^ I still planing out everything thats going to be in the tank. It wont have water in it for 4 more days.
:happyfish

nygel

I've seen many with true & false percs, is this considered crossing species? or are they close at all?

seek

thats wut i'm reffering to as a "cross" of species. black and whites mixed with true perc clowns.

seek

That still leaves the question if i need more than one anemone for multiple pairs of fish

rbaldino

I kept a perc and a tomato clown together for 10+ years without any problems. Whenever I tell someone that they're amazed, but I didn't know at the time you weren't supposed to mix clowns. I still have the tomato, but I'm on my second perc because the first died during a prolonged power outage. The tomato chases the new guy around a bit, but he does that with all my other fish, too. Probably because he's been in that tank for more than 10 years and everyone else is a relatively new addition. So, personally, I think you can get away with mixing clowns, as long as they're given ample space and have areas they can stake out as their own.