200+ gal DT upgrade

1guydude

This is the lessons learned section... Anyone got any tips, tricks, or advise for a fellow hobbyist wanting to combine his two set ups? Thanks in advance
-devin

honu808

Use new sand, have plenty of fresh sw mixed and ready. Drain old tanks without disturbing sand beds. Get fish out, rock and or corals then drain the rest. Keep old water in containers with a powerhead and heater until teady to switch over to new setup.

bang guy

I agree that gathering some of the top 1/2" of sand is very beneficial. I would definitely not store any of the old saltwater.

honu808

I agree that gathering some of the top 1/2" of sand is very beneficial. I would definitely not store any of the old saltwater.
By storing i meant use it to hold live rock, coral and fish etc. until new set up is ready; not store it store it. Haha

1guydude

...ive done tank transfers before. So im in the clear with the buckets and water and sand and fish and coral
ect...
thoughts on a tank with no stand? Sitting on the ground with sump and electrical panel next to it? How bout a 48x48x48 cube?
-d

honu808

Just curious on why you would not put it on any type of stand? But then again, ive not seen a 48" cube before.

silverado61

Unless your setting it on a perfectly flat, hard, level surface that can support the weight I wouldn't try it. Any abnormalities could cause cracks and leaks.