210 setup

nitro dave

well I got set up and got my rock in there,
what do think of the rock work so far, I need to get some rock for the right side now.

stingrayjs

Its funny how much more rock you need when you move to a larger tank. Looking at what I have now, and I know that once I put it in my new 125 I will need about 150 lbs more...*sigh*

am3gross

can you post some pics of the wet dry and tell me some more about how you got it plumbed. i to will be upgrading in a month or 2 and i am starting to get all the things i need like the return pumps heaters and skimmers and such. i need to know what pump you run for the return. this info will be greatly appreciated
htanks am3gross

rustyj

Originally Posted by nitro dave
eveything going in this tank is from my 75 that has be running for about three years and I just just 60 more pounds of rock last week to add to the 100 pounds I already had. I think I will get about 100 more pounds as soon as i can.

I hate to recomend that you dont need the extra 100lbs of Rock but check out the marine center, they have some interesting articles on Live Rock and that you really dont need the 1lb per gallon the has been the standard. They sell this stuff for a living and have done some research and found that you really only need half of that. They mention that it is better to have the extra water and the LR that is in the tank will be more than sufficient to process the biological load in an aquarium tank. I have about 60lbs in my 135 and it runs with NO biological filter, just LR and Live sand about 1" deep. I dont overstock it or overfeed it and have snails and hermi's to clean up any mess. Lets see 100lbs of live rock at at least $5/lbs, thats alot of cash. I guess you are rich it doesnt matter but hey why waste good water space and swimming room for fish too. Good luck.

lion_crazz

Dave, that tank is looking great so far!
More live rock will certainly dress it up even more, and will definitely help keep your tank healthy. I have about 260 lbs. of rock in my 210 and I am very glad that I bought that much. My water does not fluctuate at all, and all of my tank inhabitants are very healthy.

jhawk

Looking good would like to see some pic of your fish if you have any.I'm making a wish list for my tank so when I get it up I get all fish that can live together and won't out grow my tank.

bigtang803

Do you think the 210 will cycle?? How will that affect the fish, and inverts?? I was just wondering. So much more water, rock, and sand, didn't know if it would or not??

nitro dave

I dont think so, If it was I would have seen it by now, everything is reading zero I just checked it today pulse I really dont have but one fish more than I had in my 75 and most of the rock and sand came from there.

dejaco

Nice looking set up. Our 210 ate 300 lbs of fiji rock , and 160 - 180 lbs of sand.
In your picks I see a quiet one pump - we run 2 6000's + 6 Maxi jet 1200's. Also we just put in the coral life needle wheel skimmer and love it. As far as lighting goes we run 2 - 250 watt MH and 2 - 160 watt VHO - this cuased us to need a chiller!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep speeking in plural becuase the whole family works on and is involved in this tank. Good luck and by the way - it will cycle with every addition of rock, sand, or even multiple live organisms; they will be smaller cycles as expevted.

sleasia

NitroDave your 210 is looking good. Its good to know you are not having a cycling problem and all is working well...because that would have been a big bummer. :cheer:

nitro dave

ok so, what do you all think, am I fully stocked or can I add a few more fish over time safely. here is what I have so far.
1 yellow tang
1 hippo tang
1 powder brown tang
2 clown fish
1 twinspot goby
1 mandrin
1 yellow watchman goby
1 bicolor angle
1 royal gramma

R

ramsey

Hay nitro dave srry its off topic but is that a 4-tec in your avatar. O and thats a nice tank and its looking good

dual45s

A jato? As in the rocket?!? Awesome. Back on topic: your fish have got to be thinking "holy crap!" with all this new room to play in.

cgrant

Nice tank, I have the same tank and stand, i love it.
I would drain some of that water from your sump, when i turned off my pumps for the 1st water change i was amazed how much water drained back from the overflows, i had to turn them back on drain some water from the sump and then shut everything back down for the water change.
Good Luck and you will love this tank!
I wanted a 350 but couldnt talk the wife into it...What can you do?