210g Things with Stings tank.

anjiro

I have full confidence you guys will get it to the point you want it, in the past you have put together some amazing tanks and kept some of the coolest scorps. Good luck with it and I'm definitely following along.

S

saxman

It finally happened...this past weekend, we began water-testing the beast. I had a few minor leaks to deal with, but nothing out of the ordinary, considering the number of holes in the tank.
When I get home this evening, I need to check the overflow for leaks in the connections, and if all is good, I'll reconnect and fire up the closed loop system to get an idea of where to aim the return jets.
We filled the tank with RO/DI so all we need to do is mix in the salt when the time comes (the rock is already dead).
PROGRESS!

novahobbies

YESSSSS!!!! It's been a long time coming. I'm sure it will be amazing....neither of you even knows how to build a so-so aquarium.

rlablan

I was just thinking about you guys and your scorps the other day at the LFS!!
Can't wait to see this one!
Gotta go get popcorn.

lubeck

I just finished reading from start to finish. Simply amazing! I love that you moved the plumbing outside. So so cool. I would live to see more pics of the cl and other plumping into the wall? What did you decide on your lighting? Bravo on both of your skills!

S

saxman

The tank is full of RO/DI, and the leaks have been addressed. Still needs salt and substrate, and water in the sump. Once we fire this thing up, I wonder if all the homes in Carson will dim...

S

saxman

UPDATE:
Added about 50-60# of substrate (have about 60# more to wash), aimed and initially adjusted the CL returns (also hid them), installed the sock holder on the sump (gotta love Dremel's little Trio router), filled the big water hoppers...it's getting there!
These were shot about 5 mins after I added the substrate, so just a tad cloudy (the blue spots are reflections, NOT damsels):

fmarini

Finally progress- 2 stinking yr later...

if you were to ask me, the tank too small. Bigger, Bigger, and at least taller.

S

saxman

No kidding Frank...
24" deep is kinda my max for depth as that's how far down I can reach the bottom of the tank without all kinds of weird gyrations and/or dunking my head (which some peeps seem to think is a good idea!).
We actually do have a larger setup we'll do after Renee gets her L-shaped "drop-off" "pretty" tank...it will likely be a free-standing large species lion setup. To be honest, I'd love to cut back and have the 3 lionfish setups plus Renee's pretty setup. The 210 will definitely allow me to take a few setups down, and just keep one or two others running as QT's.
BTW, we have a Minous coming tomorrow...

S

saxman

The tank now has 3 fish in it...two lionfish (D. barberi and P. mombassae), and an Inimicus japonicus stingfish.
So far, the tank is running well, altho we still need to buy and add the lighting to it.

S

saxman

Just have a couple of phone pix of the fish...nothing great to show at this point. Once we get the lights on the tank, we can get some "real" pix (with the DSLRs) and finish up the aquascaping.