220 FOWL Tank Diary

R

rcreations

I think that's the right move to put the Sohal in the DT and don't worry, it can hold its own. Sorry about the queen that died. She just didn't want to eat?

crypt keeper

how big is the queen? I say leave the clown in the qt and goo dluck. You will need it with this queen. Man that sucks about the luck you have with them. I wouldnt add any chemicals. get it punding foods. Queens need sponge based foods so try those with mysis shrimp

kjr_trig

How many fish are you QTing at a time? I would have the Queen by herself in there. I also saw you had 2 Flames, a Coral Beauty, and a Bi-Color....This is too many fish in a 55 QT, particularly being all angels. I would never have 2 angels in a 55, let alone 5.

G

gtdarock

Hey Petey ! The Queen was eating when I first got it, but stopped when I added Cupramine. I just received the shipment, but I'm at work so I'll check it out and have pics later tonight. So you think I'll be ok adding the Sohal to the DT today-? Crypt, I'm not sure what size the Queen is,maybe a medium 4- 6in ? So you want me to leave the Sohal in the QT with the Queen -? Kirk, how are ya -? I also have a 20 gallon long QT setup, so maybe I'll put the Bi-Color and Coral beauty in there, and put the Queen and Pair of Flames in the 55, I also have a divider ready. What should I do about the Sohal that I have in the QT for about a month now-? He's all ready to go into the display. Should I add him, or wait another month until I finish QT'ing the other angels,and put them all together in the DT. I'm so confused about the yes or the no ?

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by GTDAROCK
http:///forum/post/3256102
Hey Petey ! The Queen was eating when I first got it, but stopped when I added Cupramine. I just received the shipment, but I'm at work so I'll check it out and have pics later tonight. So you think I'll be ok adding the Sohal to the DT today-? Crypt, I'm not sure what size the Queen is,maybe a medium 4- 6in ? So you want me to leave the Sohal in the QT with the Queen -? Kirk, how are ya -? I also have a 20 gallon long QT setup, so maybe I'll put the Bi-Color and Coral beauty in there, and put the Queen and Pair of Flames in the 55, I also have a divider ready. What should I do about the Sohal that I have in the QT for about a month now-? He's all ready to go into the display. Should I add him, or wait another month until I finish QT'ing the other angels,and put them all together in the DT. I'm so confused about the yes or the no ?

Add the Sohal now, he is going to run the tank no matter when you add him. When you add new fish, I would add 2 at a time, don't allow the Sohal one fish to abuse on it's own.
I would hold off on Cupramine for now, in fact based on your past issues with this fish I wouldn't use it at all!! Unless you see symptoms. Just treat with Prazipro in a few days after you see him eating well.
That's what I would do.

R

rcreations

Dude, I told you not to treat the Queen with anything copper related. Hypo is the best for angels. Sure, you have people who say they've treated angels with copper, but you also have people who kept triggers with lions, who kept undulated triggers in community tanks, anything's possible. But my advice is to hypo angels, no copper.

G

gtdarock

Sorry guys,been very busy at work, and I finally got a chance to update and read up on all the other threads I missed out on.
So after Pete reply about the Hypo on 4/7. I started right away with hypo on the Queen Angel, and after a week and a half of hypo,the Queen has made a complete 360,eating everything and anything. Boy am I happy :D She looks great and I treated her with two rounds of Prazi. Pete, I owe you bigtime ! I should of listen to you a longtime ago, and went with hypo for the previous Queen angels. Kirk, the Sohal is doing great in the DT. Once in a while he chases my 6 in Hippo, but other than that he's an awesome specimen. I didn't change the water in the QT for a longtime now,every since I did hypo. I was wondering when I do the water change,how much water do I take out, and what do I put in -? Freshwater or Saltwater -?
I have a target date set for the end of June, to add the Queen to the display. I'm just scared about the Emp. Cuz,July will make one year in the display. I already bought some live rocks,so I'm thinking off reaquascaping the tank, the same day I'll add the Queen to the DT. Also, I'm not sure what should I add next along with the Queen-? A pair of Flames -? Or maybe a Scribble Angel -?

R

rcreations

I'm glad the Queen is doing good!

You should do regular water changes in the QT. When I have big fish in the QT, I do 10% weekly but make sure the new water has the same salinity as the QT water.

G

gtdarock

Thanks Pete ! The Queen is doing awesome in Hypo. The first week of June,I'll start the slow process of bringing back the salt up. But how should I do it. How much water should I take out in the 55 -? How much should I put in -? Also, I really don't want to add the Queen in the display by herself. Especially since the Emp has been in the display for almost a year . I was thinking of getting a Scribble Angel, or should I just go with some dwarfs -?

hefner413

I think bringing the salt back up is much easier, especially in a 55. Just take off like 10 gallons. Then mix a super concentrated salt mix and let it run in slowly. You don't have to do nearly as many water changes as you did when taking the salt down.

R

rcreations

But make sure you bring it up slowly... Fish can't take a sudden raise in salinity well at all. Bring it up no more than 0.002 per day.

G

gtdarock

Sounds good guys. So I'll take out 10 gallons,but how often do I take out the 10 gallons. Should I do it twice a week -? Also,when mixing the water, should the first mix be at 1.011 -? And the other big question is after I finish bringing up the salt back up, the Queen should be ready for the display,but I don't want to add her into the tank alone,with the established Emperor in the display for almost a year now. I really would like to add her with another fish.But I'm not sure what to get. I've been looking around for a Scribble,but no luck. I have two choices, either a Scribble or some dwarfs. Any ideas -?
Thanks guys

crypt keeper

scribbled for life and the dwarfs do it! the dwarfs will just add lots of color and activity without being butt heads like damsels.

G

gtdarock

Hey guys ! Hope all is well Summer is near :D
For an update,the Queen has completed Hypo/Prazi for about 2 months. She is 100 % and ready for the display.Problem is, I don't want to add her to the display alone,because I fear that the Emperor,which is established for almost a year now,will beat her up. I've been looking for a Scribble for months now,but haven't found any. So I don't know what to do now -? I was thinking of putting her in the display with some kind of divider -? Or maybe build something of an eggcrate structure,and put that into the display -? I was also thinking of getting a Clown Trigger and add the both of them together -? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)
Also, I have a major problem with my Yellow tang.He just hate the Purple tang,and keeps him from moving from his rock.He just lets him out to eat,then chases the Purple back into the hole. The Yellow is just so dam mean. I was thinking of adding a few Yellows to the display,so he can stop the harassment. Would that work -?

R

rcreations

Did you try to take out the yellow tang temporarily? Put it in the QT for a few weeks, then re-introduce it to the DT and see if that fixes the problem.
How big is the Emperor compared to the Queen?

G

gtdarock

I tried to take out the Yellow,but I can't catch him.He's just so fast. I can probably catch him,if I take out all the rocks,but thats a lot of work. The Emperor is about an inch bigger than the Queen, and a whole lot fatter !

R

rcreations

Hm... I'm just not sure that adding more yellow tangs is the solution. Maybe someone else here with more tang experience can suggest something else.