240 Gallon "Rectangle of Life" Tank Diary

xcali1985

For those of you who have followed my Tank Build in the DIY section over the past 14 months. It has been a long journey. Many setbacks, and frustrations with ranging from financial, mechanical, to just plain impatience. This will be my continuous Tank Diary with the changes that I make to the tank.
Pictures will be next week. Build some anticipation.
EQUIPMENT

• 240 Gallon Lee Mar Diamond Edge Black Silicone w/ Dual Overflows

• ReefFlo Goldhammer Return Pump (5555 GPH)

• 50 Gallon Sump

• 50 Gallon Refugium

• 4 Filter Socks

• 2 x Koralia 7 Magnum Powerheads

• 2 x Koralia 4 Powerheads

• Super Reef Octopus 3000 Internal Skimmer

• Super Reef Octopus 200 Automatic Neck Cleaner

• 12" Dual PC (Refugium Lighting)

• 1HP Prime USA Tower Chiller

• 2 x 300watt Titanium Heaters

• Neptunes Apex Contoller w/ pH probe

• 2 x Apex Variable Dimming Modules

• 1 x Apex Lunar Sim Module

• DIY Apex Breakout Box (6 - Ports)

• 2 x Enegry Bar 8s

• 120 x 3watt CREE LEDs driven by 10 Meanwell Dimmable Drivers

• DUAL BRS GFO/Carbon Reactor

• Dual Cabinet Lights
      BREAKOUT BOX FUNCTIONS

• Port 1: Skimmer Cup Full. Shutdown Skimmer if cup is full; email me notifying me of full cup.
        [*]
        Port 2: Emergency Switch, Shutdown ALL EQUIPMENT. In case something dramatic happens.
        [*]
        Port 3: Cabinet Doors Open, Turns on Cabinet lights when the doors open.
        Port 4: TBA
        Port 5:
        TBA
        Port 6:
        TBA
        AQUASCAPE

• 400lbs of Live Rock/Base Rock Combo
          220lbs of Live Sand
          20lbs of Sand in Refugium
          20lbs of Live Rock in the Refugium
          LIVESTOCK

• Mystery Wrasse
            McCosker's Wrasse
            8 x Blue/Green Chromis
          Red Firefish
        Pink Square Anthia (Female)
        Pink Square Anthia (Male)
        3 x Barletts Anthia
        Midas Blenny
      Purple Tang
      2 x Snowflake Clownfish
      Blue Hippo Tang
      Mandarin Dragonet (Male)
      Spotted Dragonet (Female)
      Labouti Wrasse
    Rhomboid Wrasse
PAST LIVESTOCK

• Mandarin Dragonet

• Fu Manchu Lion Fish

• 2 x Pink Square Anthia

• Helfrichi Firefish

• Red Firefish

• Purple Firefish

• 6 x Purple Queen Anthia

• Lineatus Wrasse

• 7 x Blue/Green Chromis

• 2 x Copperband Butterfly

• Melanarus Wrasse

• Lyretail Anthia
    INVERTS

• Around 200 Snails

• Around 100 Crabs

• 2 x Cleaner Shrimp

• Maxima Clam (Green)
        CORALS

• Sunny Delight Zoanthids

• Candy Apple Reds Zoanthids

• Hawaiian People Eaters Zoanthids

• Gandis Palythoa

• Purple Hornet Zoanthids

• Red People Eaters

• Gobstopper Zoas

• Nuclear Green Palythoa

• Mind Blowing Zoanthids

• Pink Zipper Zoanthids

• Dragon Eyed Zoanthids

• Eye of The Storm Zoanthids

• Mohawk Zoanthids

• Blue Kisses Zoanthids

• Blue Ice Zoanthids

• Blue Tubbs Zoanthids

• Captain America Zoanthids

• La Laker Zoanthids

• Rainbow Raptors Zoanthids
          X-Men Zoanthids
          Flame People Eater Zoanthids
          Magician Zoanthids
          Lunar Eclipse Zoanthids
          Galaxy Blue Zoanthids
          African Blue Hornet Zoanthids
          True Armor of Gods Zoanthids
          Green People Eater Zoanthids
          Yellow Brick Roads Zoanthids
          Blue Hornets Zoanthids
          Kyrptonite Zoanthids
          Superman Zoanthids
        Skittles Acanthastrea
        Blue Nova Acanthastrea
        Hulk Acanthastrea
        Fire & Ice Acanthastrea
        Pink Aussie Hammer
        Bi-Color Hammer
        Orange Torch
        Kryptonite Torch
      Purple Tip Frogspawn
      Setosa Montipora
      Purple Rim Montipora
      Orange Montipora
      Blue Montipora
      Green Montipora
      Green Birdsnest
      Red Birdsnest
      Green Slimer Acropora
      Green Acropora with blue tips
    Neon Green Candy Canes
    Red Trac Brain
Yellow Open Brain
Purple Lobo Brain
Pearl Bubble
Aussie Elegance Coral
[*]
Superman Scolymia
[*]
Pink Montipora
[*]
Miami Vice Zoanthids

• Mr Freeze Zoanthids

• Rasta Zoanthids

• LE Nightmare Zoanthids

• Pink Acanthastrea

• Rainbow Acanthastrea
    Bloodshot Acanthastrea
    Red/Green Blastos
    Orange Ricordias
    Pink Ricordias
    Red Hornet Zoanthids
    Golden Darth Maul Zoanthids
    Secalle Acropora
Im sure there are more I cant remember everything's name
Like I said pictures will be coming early next week. I'll update then If I find something in the tank that I didn't list the first time.
I will try to keep this list as up to date as possible don't know how long I am able to edit it.

sweatervest13

I really liked reading your build thread. So, I am definitely following your tank diary. Love the name "Rectangle of Life". That's a good one. Cant wait for pics!!!!

xcali1985

I wanna pick your brain Xcali1985 about a couple things when you get a chance.......
PM sent with contact info.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/391220/240-gallon-rectangle-of-life-tank-diary#post_3468782
secrecy between you two.....
Jealousy.........
Maybe we'll have to do a 3 way or conference call for anyone who wants to chime in next time.......No seriously Rickross23, I had questions on a couple components Xcali1985 is running that I was considering as well......The self cleaning skimmer head is what I was really interested in......

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391220/240-gallon-rectangle-of-life-tank-diary#post_3468879
Jealousy.........
Maybe we'll have to do a 3 way or conference call for anyone who wants to chime in next time.......No seriously Rickross23, I had questions on a couple components Xcali1985 is running that I was considering as well......The self cleaning skimmer head is what I was really interested in......
LOL! BTW, Avast Marine makes custom neck cleaners for pretty much any skimmer. If you want to save money they can send you a kit and you can drill your lid and do it yourself. SRO made one for my skimmer specifically or I would have went with Avast. Don't remember if I mentioned it, but to keep the neck clean you need to run the cleaner for 15 seconds every 6 hours. That's it.

xcali1985

This is the first round of photos. (Click to enlarge)
Looks like my brother needs my HD camera a little longer, so these are from my iPhone. This round is the Full Tank Shots, next will be the equipment shots, hopefully later today. Going to make a few videos also.

xcali1985

Here's the second round of photos, this is the equipment. Ignore the wiring being all over the place, I am in the process of figuring out a wiring setup. Ill put a little description before every picture.
50 Gallon Refugium w/ cheato and fern algae. 6500K Bulb.

Reeflo goldhammer return pump. Dialed back as it is too strong.

Auto Top Off connected directly to my RODI unit. Dual Switches for extra safety.

Phosban Reactor that is running ROWAPHOS.

This is the SRO3000INT skimmer with the neck cleaner. As you can see the cup is half full but the neck is crystal clear which keeps it operating at max effectiveness.

2 of the 4 filter socks.

A look at the brains of the tank. This is the Apex, for size reference the eggcrate has 1/4 inch openings. I like many others thought it would be bigger but it is small.

This is the Energy Bar 8 (EB8), these outlets are controlled by the apex.

This is the display unit for the apex, it shows all the information at a glance. Can be passworded so no one can change anything. You will notice that once setup you barely use your display unit, except for looking at pH and temp. The icons at the bottom can be changed to show you what is running and what i'snt. If you press the down arrow button it starts a feed cycle, which you can program to turn pumps and powerheads off.
alt="IMG_1599.JPG" src="https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/1/10/102d5afb_IMG_1599.jpeg
The left side of the light rail.

This is the top "power center." Believe it or not all this plugs pull from .03 to .09 Amps that is all. Yes those are speakers, I have them hooked up to an mp3 player that has various sound that you would hear when on the ocean. From waves, birds, water trickle, to thunderstorms.

This is the chiller, with this programmed on an independant pump, I am able to keep my temp between 77.0 and 77.5. By setting the temp on the chiller to 76 degrees and controlling when water flows through it by independent pump it provides safety measures. The chiller will stop chilling at 76, the pump will stop at 77.3 tank emails me via the apex if the tank drops below 76. So I am able to attend to it.

That's it for now, I think the next round of photos will be me attempting to get photos of my my livestock. Since the iphone doesn't have a really effective white balance that will have to wait until I get the camera back. I will also be making a video next week of the neck cleaner running and me cleaning it. It takes a little more than dumping and wiping it to clean it, but not much.
Comments, Questions?

acrylic51

Thanks.....Doing some last minute modifications to my stand to accomodate the neck cleaner.....I'll have to call Mike to get specifics on the measurements for the XP5000 i'm running, but looks very good!!!!!!