240g in wall shallow reef build

jpa0741

Originally Posted by MR.reef
http:///forum/post/2975579
hey i have been looking at the pics can we see some full tank pics now???
Per your request. I just snapped these 5 min ago. I don't think you know how hard it is to get a FTS of a 8'x16" tank. They are not great but you get the idea. I have a friend coming over later this week with his DSLR to see if we can get some good pics.

jpa0741

I had an extra ballast laying around so I ordered some new reflectors and 4 24" ATI blue+ T5 bulbs. I am going to install these tomorrow. I am looking to get the corals to pop a little more with this supplement.

jpa0741

Here they are installed. I need to find a couple more reflectors for the outside ones. I also see I need to clean my MH reflectors.

jpa0741

After getting my new controller and discovering my PH has been running low (7.8-8.05) I have decided to start running a kalk reactor. It is a very simple design modeled after the tunze unit they sell. Water enters the bottom and passes slowly through the kalk and exits the top. I know many will say it needs to be stirred, but I thought I would try this design first. If I find it to be ineffective at raising my PH it will be very easy to add a pump later. It will drip slowly from my ro/unit. It is hooked to a float valve at the end. I plan to have the drip a little slower then evap. so I am not relying on the float, just for backup. I still have ATO also running to makeup the small amount of evap this does not take care of.

jpa0741

I picked up 4 jars of Mrs.Wages pickling lime today. I poured one into the reactor and fired it up after letting it settle for a while. I am starting with a very slow drip just to make there are no problems. So far everything is working pretty good. I tried testing the PH from the output and I got PH error. I am not sure if these probes once calibrated to our levels do not read that high.

jpa0741

Just wanted to update on the my DIY Kalk reactor. It has made a great improvement already. My pH goes from 7.95 at night to 8.15 during the day. I can live with that. I could increase the drip a little. I still have it dripping slower then my evap rate, but I will probably just leave well enough alone.

coastie81

how does the whole vitamin-c dosing work. I am looking to try it since some of my zoo's are not opening. Can you explain how you do it and what you use.

M

mr.reef

ok i am going to ask from the master of corals.. haha i got a 125g and was looking for a new light do u think that a 3x150 mh light will it work its 14k.. it dont have the t-5 on it. its a sunpod if u could help... tanks and great lookkkkkking tank..

jpa0741

Got off work at 8:00 am. Made it out to the swap by 8:45. Back home and ready to get a little sleep to go to work at 8:30pm tonight. You ask why I would put myself through this. So my friend Tom could hook me up with a couple nice center piece brains I have been looking for. Thanks again Tom. I will post some more pics when I find the right spot in my display. These pics were taken 5 mins after setting them in the frag tank. These are just way better then I could of ever hoped to find.

I will answer all questions in above posts later after I get a little sleep.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by coastie81
http:///forum/post/2986529
how does the whole vitamin-c dosing work. I am looking to try it since some of my zoo's are not opening. Can you sexplain how you do it and what you use.
I sent you a PM on some good reading about it.

jpa0741

http:///forum/post/2986568
ok i am going to ask from the master of corals.. haha i got a 125g and was looking for a new light do u think that a 3x150 mh light will it work its 14k.. it dont have the t-5 on it. its a sunpod if u could help... tanks and great lookkkkkking tank..
What are the dimensions of the tank? If you want to be able to keep most anything. I would really suggest a good reflector.

M

mr.reef

my tank is 6 foot long 21" deep... i was wanting to keep clam and frogspawn, brain...??

jpa0741

http:///forum/post/2987301
my tank is 6 foot long 21" deep... i was wanting to keep clam and frogspawn, brain...??
You should be fine. Just look into some good reflectors. Not spider reflectors. Are they DE or SE bulbs? Is the ballast m58 or m80?
Also frogspawn and brains don't like a lot of light. Clams on the other hand will take all you can through at them. Just keep that in mind for placement.

M

mr.reef

is what i am looking at is the fixture made by sunpod it a 3x150 14k it made all in one..

M

mr.reef

hey thinks for the help with the lighting i got one ordered its a 3x250w 14k sunpod i hope it works what do u think..