24g Aquapod vs 29g Biocube

fuerte91

Which is better in your opinions on them, and which would you reccomend? I'm downsizing from my 55 for college.
the fish i plan on keeping are: 2 Onyx Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, And 6 Line Wrasse.
Thanks

fuerte91

yea i think im gonna go with a Nano cube, since the company is selling the 24g for $240.00 w/ free stand and $60 shipping
And yes the yellow watchmen are awesome! Mine is paired up with a 3" tiger pistol

troy989

great deal i wanted a tiger pistol but the guy at lfs said my 29 galon biocube is too small what do u think?

chaseter

I bought a firefish and the goby and firefish are great friends. They sleep together and come out together.

aquaguy24

I don't see y u can't have a tiger pistol shrimp in there. They just like to dig all day. Just make sure yr rock r touching the bottom glass and notsitting on top of the sand or u can have a landslide. Pair it up with a nice shrimp goby. Check some of the wysiwyg sites. They always have pairs but some of them can be pricey. I just sold my 24g AP for a bottle of hennessy vsop today actually.

troy989

yea the rock i on the glass all i might buy now is cleaner shrimp or fireshrimp. at my lfs they have like 3 octopuses

fuerte91

yea a pistol shrimp should have no problem fitting in a 5 gallon tank since they dig all day. As someone else mentioned, make sure your rocks touch the glass, and give it a nice deep sand bed.
Hint: the trick i used to keep my shrimp in the front of the tank was to put more sand in the front than in the back part of the tank, so he comes to the front so you can see him

aquaguy24

Oh 5g? I thought u said 29g. Well Inverts are more sensitive to things like nitrates so make sure u keep water parameters in check.

fuerte91

im just saying that a pistol would do fine in a 5 gallon, meaning it would have plenty of room in 29g biocube

aquapod 24

i got the 24 gallon aquapod and it is great. personally i would get the 29 if i were you because it has a little more room and it seems like your going to have a bunch of fish(compared to me i only have 1 damsle and 1 clown)

asharp13

i have a 24g aquapod and i love it as well. i retrofitted the back compartment to adda refugium to keep my mandarin happy and my pH balanced. i am pretty sure the biocube already has 3 compartments in the back which would make it a lot easier to add a refugium if u think u might eventually want to add one. just a thought.

asharp, do you mind posting pictures of your refug for your 24? I have a 24g nano cube and I was trying to figure out how to keep a mandarin.

asharp13

yea ill snap some within a day or two...it was a major pain in the butt but ill explain what i did when i post the pics!

asharp13

another thought...i have found it to be a pain in the butt to clean acrylic and the bowed corners of my aquapod. my next tank im definetely going with a square or rectangular glass tank...also, if you just buy a regular aquarium you will end up having a lot more options in terms of lighting, flow, and filtration.

asharp13

here is the design of my refugium. the diagram would be if you were looking at the back of the tank. this proved to be quite difficult becasue the aquapod is designed with only two compartments in the back. i took a hand saw and cut out the acrylic divider that was in the middle of the back compartment. since i am an idiot i assumed i could do this with the tank still full of water and fish haha so i ended up getting little black sawdusty like particles in my tank and clogged my pump. but it was all easily cleaned up by syphoning the sand and blasting the pump with compressed air.
the black lines are the remaining structure looking from the back of the aquapod with the entrance of water on the left and the return pump on the right. the gray box is my black sponge filter media. since my tank was still full of water i cut acrylic pieces and used reef puddy (the stuff to attach corals) to attach them in the back (BLUE LINES). the last baffle before the return pump has different sized holes in it to account for the decreased water level due to evaporation so the pump never runs dry. the RED BOX is just egg crate to stop big debris from entering the pump. the middle is filled with live sand, porous crumbles of live rock and chaeto. i found a "Nano Glo" and attached these 4 LEDs to the back of my tank with the magnet at the same height of the chaeto. i run that on an opposite 12hr cycle from the DT.
i have been toying with filling the bottom of the first compartment with bio-balls but i have gotten lots of advice and haven't heard a definite yes or no. i don't really know what they do either haha.
i can snap some pics if you want but this was the clearest way to show you the setup.
let me know your thoughts and your opinion on the bioballs!!