280g FOWLR Tank Diary

R

rcreations

It looks ok to me. I'm not a huge fan of tangs but with a tank as big as yours, they should get along fine. Personally I would've added a puffer, trigger and small eel into the mix or instead of some of the tangs, maybe a large wrasse or Australian Harlequin Tusk.

kylev

I really wanted to do the harlequin tusk but went away from it due to the possibility of bitting his reflection and scratching my tank all up. So that kinda led me to wanting to keep fish that wouldnt destroy my CUC. I've thought about a red tail trigger and a small eel but want to keep the possibility of small fish available. I'm hoping to be able to keep some coral in the tank as well, so my stock list got molded around that

R

rcreations

Ah, I see. You're right, you have to be careful with acrylic tanks. That leaves puffers out as well and I've had triggers bite at the tank walls as well. The red tail triggers should be ok though. I've had one for a long time and he's never gone after CUC, small fish or coral.

kylev

I've never been a huge fan of puffers so I dont have to many worries about leaving them out. But I do think I'll sneak the red tail in there before I add the large angels to the tank.

I've been running the new protein skimmer for about a day now for just the fun of it and its doing awesome I'm very happy with it. It's not overflowing the cup at all and is actually bubling very nicely unlike what I'm used to when initially starting up a new skimmer

kylev

Just tested the tanks again and results are

Day 15 DT

Spec 1.025
PH 8.4
AM 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

I've never got a nitrite reading out of the tank yet, is this because its not cycling properly or the rock/something else helped to eliminate it? I put in and left three cocktail shrimp on day 2 and ghost feed a decent amount also

The QT is showing better cycling results at (day 10)

Spec 1.025
PH 8.4
AM .50
Nitrite .50
Nitrate 20

kylev

If I was to get rid of the sailfin tang or two of the yellows could I sneak a sohal in there? I really love those fish and would add him last and safely small

kjr_trig

I think the Sohal would be fine in there, but the fish you would have to remove would be the White Cheek Tang (Sohal's don't do well with members or their own gunus)....I would keep the Desjardini Sailfin (one of my favorites) on the list, when it comes to Yellow and Purple together, 3 is better than 2. The Sohal is always a risk mind you, but in a large tank, I like your chances, mine is a model citizen these days.

kylev

Well losing the white cheek is definetely a fair trade for the sohal so thats done and everything else will stay the same. The sohal is a risk I'm willing to take because I have always wanted one plus the way they cruise a tank is so cool.

I'm also very happy right now I got home from work today at about 3:30 to see a package with a new pump inside it on my front door step. At that time the tank was at about 85.5 degrees. I got started switching the pumps out and have now finished plumbing the new pump and new durso standpipes which took about 3 hours. The tank temperature is now currently at 80.2 and during this whole time the lights were on. (Edit: forgot I added bout 20g of non heated salt water to the tank that helped out) Things are looking good for the tank temp. Plus the new pump is very quiet to be around inside the garage and cant even faintly be heard in the house. The flow also seems to be at about the same I was able to push the last pump to so the overflows are basically at there max. Things are looking good
Just cant wait for my new base rock and mp40s to arrive.

edit: now at 79 degrees

kjr_trig

Wow, that's interesting the temp went down so much...I wonder if the other one was maybe overheating a bit and was perhaps defective.
Anyway, good thing you got rid of it...The MP's are really cool, I have the 10 on my nano tank, I'm quite happy with it.

And I agree, a Sohal Tang is pretty tough to beat.

kylev

Tank was down to 76 degrees this morning when I left and had to turn the heaters up a bit finally. I can't wait to start adding some CUC and fish here soonish

levinjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylev http:///forum/thread/374812/280g-fowlr-tank-diary/140#post_3311110
New fish list

Angels (would three large angels be better for aggression)
-emperor
-queen
One or the other really 2 big ones should be in 300+
-flame
-coral beauty
Add at the same time but OK

Tangs
(what would i need to do in order to be able to add a sohal last)
-blue hippo
-3 yellows (will 3 help agressive or create more?)
Depense
-purple tang
-gold rimmed/white cheek
-desjardini saiflin

-2 clowns
OK
-possibility a mystery wrasse

Anybody see any problems here? or suggestions?

R

rcreations

What are the readings?

If you initially had ammonia and now it's ALL gone, have zero nitrites AND have some nitrates but the number is low, you're ok to add the CUC. It's possible you missed the nitrite cycle.

kylev

last testing was
PH 8.4
AM 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
I've never read any nitrite readings and Am hasn't been over .50, It seems to me like the chances are it missed the nitrite cycle (those readings have been steady for almost 2 weeks now). My concern now is if I should slowly try to add some creatures to the tank or add something to induce the cycle more. I originally added 3 cocktail shrimp and did a lot of ghost feeding.
Sorry Levinjac there will be two large angels in the tank
I've also started to sand out some shipping scratches from the 6'x2' side, and damn does that take some time. I've got 4hrs into it and need probabley another 12 to do it right. What a pain, I didnt send it back cause I figured o well I'll sand them out and was just happy to have the tank. Now I'm wishing I've never started the job but I'm sure i'll be happy when its done

R

rcreations

Personally I think it's cycled. But what you can do is ghost feed for a couple of days and then take another reading. If all is ok, you can add your CUC or the 2 clowns. Just don't add too many fish at once, that's always bad news in a new tank.

kylev

Thanks RC i'll do that. The clowns wouldnt be added untill at least 4 weeks of QT anyways which would be the plan for all the fish so there wont be any rush of fish being added, I've got way to much money into this tank to push any limits

kylev

Anyone have any ideas on a good CUC list? Is it necessary to QT them and how should I if so?
I do like hermits so i'd like to add a few of them in there and would eventually like some emerald crabs, arrow crabs, and sally light foots.

R

rcreations

I wouldn't add any type of star fish because my queen angel loves to bite at them. I've tried serpent stars, chocolate chip stars and she ate all of them! She even killed a pin cushion urchin by pulling out its spikes. Hermit crabs, emerald crabs and snails seem to be safe though.
As for QT, I don't know. I don't qt inverts but techincally anything can carry over deseases like ich... live rock, inverts, everything. They can have ich eggs on them. It's not likely but it can happen.

kylev

As of now I don't think I'll be QTing any inverts. I mainly plan on hermits and snails for the majority of the CUC but I'm not sure on the quantities I would need to eventually have. Would shrimp be able to stay alive?