280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kylev

No worries, I'll just call the chiller manufacturer and see what they feel on that set up.

Do you believe it would be enough to and from the sump with a pump rated at 1600GPH? I know the MP40's will give me sufficient flow inside the tank to make it up.

Levinjac, I have two vinnex heaters in the sump but neither one of them is on or has any heat to the touch

kjr_trig

Set up is looking great, haven't been on in a while.

Sorry if I missed it, but what is the temperature in your house, more importantly, what temp is the room your tank is in? Sounds like you're adding more lights which could add more heat? Make sure before you do a chiller that circuit you are adding it too can handle it. That is why I have never added a chiller, the one I need would be as many amps as everything else on my tank combined.

kylev

Thanks kjr

the house is at about 70 degrees, the sump room is not much higher than that, the QT tank is in there as well and its staying at a steady 77degrees. The pump is way to large plus it makes way to much noise and draws way to much power to just back it down in conjunction with a chiller. The pump draws 12 amps and the new pump/chiller combos I'm looking at don't surpase that. The fish room has 30 amp wire ran to it with breakers so it should be able to handle the power. The lights on the main tank will be on the main fuse panel.

I've troubleshooted the heat and its definetely from the pump, the lights I have now make no effect. So I'm set on eliminating this headache once and for all with a new pump and chiller. Since tenecor told me my overflows are only rated at 800 each a 1600 gph pump will work just fine. Now it comes to what equipment to use

I'm currently looking at the

Pump- Gen-X PCX-100 (Mak5) with a max flow of 1590 gph with 1" in/out
70 HD BlueLine 1750 gph 39' max head with 1" in/out

Chiller- Pacific Coast C-500 1/2HP but has 3/4" in/out
or Compact 1/2 HP InLine Aquarium Chiller By Tradewind 1800 GPH and 1" in/outs (Leaning towards this to keep the plumbing at 1")

But would like suggestions for pumps as far as quality and quiet as possible plus up to 1800gph and any input on chillers as well

kylev

Whats the thoughts on just throwing a mag drive 18 with 1800gph into the sump and plumbing my returns with that? Heat should be eliminated this way as well and then I could add a chiller later if needed.

kylev

After reading around reviews on pumps are very mixed but I read a few times that pan worlds are quiet and cool. I also heard they are quieter than the iwakis and they even claim it so unless someone has reasons otherwise I'm going to order the 200PS Water Pump by Pan World, once it arrives I'm going to plumb it with intentions of possibly adding a chiller if needed and go from there.

Right now my plumbing running to my pump is 2" can I leave this and reduce it to 1" or would this mess with the pump more than its worth?

kjr_trig

How about a Mag 24? Don't think they make them anymore, but you can still find them I think. I'm certainly a fan of Mag's, and I prefer not having external pumps....What about 2 Mag 12's? for external, I would look at Iwaki though. How many feet are you going up BTW?

kylev

Allready ordered the pan world last night so I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best. I read quite a bit of good things about them and that their real similar to the Iwaki but a little less costly. I'm probably going up 4-5 feet to the tip of the return.

If i need to go with a chiller I'm going to get the tradewind which will work good with this pump as far as gph ratings go

kylev

yesterdays test results were as follows

QT day 5
PH 8.4
Am .50ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

DT Day 10
PH 8.4
AM 0 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

My ammonia in the dt never spiked to high and I had added three cocktail shrimp to the tank plus a lot of ghost feeding, was this not enough? more time to spike? or has it spiked?

kylev

Here's a picture of the refugium I just finished adding to the sump. I'm going to fill the chamber above the egg crate with chaeto and plan on putting live sand and rock rubble in the other larger section of it, but what else should I grow in or add to this section?

the live rock you see is underneath the acrylic stand I made for additional support

R

rcreations

I have some LR rubble in my refugium and also some critters... some hermit crabs, a hitchiker crab, plus a lot of little starfish which sort of appeared out of nowhere. I keep the critters as a sort of cleanup crew.

kylev

K I'll add a little clean up crew to it then, anyway a little fish could live in there that wouldnt eat all the good stuff im trying to produce?

I was going to work on getting my protein skimmer set up this wknd, is it a good idea to start running it or wait a little while longer?

Kylev! I haven't checked this in awhile but man it looks good! Love the black sand and still can't get over how awesome the L shaped tank is. Your plumbing and electrical look proffessional! Did you get the new pump yet? Hopefully that will cure the heat. Also with the smaller pump running through your sump and fuge your sump and fuge will have more time to work on water flowing through it. Then you can get your water circulated with mp40s in the tank.

BTW your dobby is gorgeous, I rescued and adopted one out not long ago. I would have kept him but I'm already at my limit with 7 dogs lol. Anyways gonna pay closer attention to this thread.

kylev

Thanks reefaholic, the pump isnt here yet hopefully early next week I cant wait to get it all hooked up and see what the results are. Im holding off on buying the mp40's untill i know whether or not I'll need a chiller. The electrical work is about the only thing I didnt do myself, I don't fully trust myself doing it so I had my dad hook it all up for me, but it worked out great.

I have 100 pounds of florida dry rock on its way to add to the sump/break up for my refugium rubble, and 20 lbs of LS for the refugium. Cant wait for that to show up either

al&burke

Hi, Kylev realy nice tank. I also like the black sand. Just a thought, what are you measuring your water temperature with and have you measured it with two different thermometers or TC. Just my $0.02 it could be off.

Can't wait to see this tank with fish.

kylev

Thanks Al&Burke. And yes the temp is being measured with two different thermometers. Theres one on the heater in the sump and another digital one in the DT for the time being. The water is warm to the touch as well. My fan inside the pump room had a loose connection and turned off causing the water to go up an additional 2 degrees so hopefully that doesnt ever happen again.

kylev

So maybe I couldnt wait any longer and I just ordered up (2) MP40's with (1) battery backup unit.....can't wait to play with these guys

kylev

New fish list
Angels (would three large angels be better for aggression)
-emperor
-queen
-flame
-coral beauty

Tangs
(what would i need to do in order to be able to add a sohal last)
-blue hippo
-3 yellows (will 3 help agressive or create more?)
-purple tang
-gold rimmed/white cheek
-desjardini saiflin

-2 clowns
-possibility a mystery wrasse

Anybody see any problems here? or suggestions?