280g FOWLR Tank Diary

R

rcreations

Emerald crabs also eat hair algae but with a tank that size, you're better off just scrubbing it yourself, like was already suggested.

kylev

yeup the nitrates have been at 0 the last few times i've checked. So i'm guessing some emarld crabs would be a good idea?

kylev

I'm gonna have my lfs order me some up, plus i'll most likely add a lawn mower blenny to the next qt round and I definitely agree that they are fun fish to watch at work

kylev

My PH in my DT and QT has been lower than usual, does anyone know why this could be? The only thing I can think of is that I now have a ro/di system that is working correctly so could the crappy water I had before have a higher ph?

kjr_trig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylev http:///forum/thread/374812/280g-fowlr-tank-diary/380#post_3327412
My PH in my DT and QT has been lower than usual, does anyone know why this could be? The only thing I can think of is that I now have a ro/di system that is working correctly so could the crappy water I had before have a higher ph?
How low? Just make sure it stays over 8. Test with the lights on and off, it will be noticeably higher after the lights have been on a few hours. Tangs and Angels will let you know in a hurry if PH gets too low, at least that is my experience. As to weather it is higher on tap water, probably depends on location, but that sounds right, I certainly have to add muratic acid on a regular basis to my pool just to keep the ph lower.

R

rcreations

I dose with buffer, once a week to keep my alkalinity and pH level. Just like it says on WWM.

kylev

The DT is now back around 8.2 and was at 8.0 the QT is now about 8.1 and was around 7.8-7.9 at its lowest. I've been dosing with a PH buffer but have an alk buffer on the way to see how that works as well. The hippo still seems to be about as happy as possible constantly swimming around the tank, hes very enjoyable to watch. The female clown has seemed to accept the new clown fairly well but I still have my fingers crossed on that but they do look good together. The little mystery seems pretty content hes always exploring around the qt.
I know its probabley to many but I picked up 25 mexican turbo snails today to do some cleaning. If they start to die off I'll just bring a handful back to the lfs. I couldnt pass up the opportunity my buddy there was selling them to me for 2 bucks so I figured I'd try to give myself a little cleaning break. I'll probably hold off on some emerald crabs for now to see how the turbos do.

kylev

Could I do a red reef lobster? From what I'm reading it'd seem to work with a possibility of bugging my shrimp but they most likely wont be lasting long anyways

kylev

I just put my deposit down on my crosshatch pair that should be ready for shipping by early january

kylev

anyone have any input on the red lobster? Im gonna pick it up tomorrow if it should work out. My only concern is it harming smaller fish as they swim by. My protein skimmer has decided it wants to fill up really quick recently as well does anyone have any ideas as to why? nothings changed

R

rcreations

No idea about the lobster other than I always thought they looked pretty cool.
I've had the same problem with my skimmer a few months back. For me it turned out to be the PE Mysis. It's a very greasy type food and it was kicking my skimmer into overdrive.

S

smartorl

There was an older member here a few years back that had an intense and heavily stocked reef tank with a huge lobster. His tank was large, I think around the 400 gallon mark and tall so the fish had room to avoid the lobster.
I do remember feeding pictures where the fish were down all over the lobster. I imagine like most things, keep him well fed and he will mind his own business unless a fish is wounded or sick. They are opportunistic feeders.

kylev

Thanks for the input, I'll have to think this decision over a little more. They are really cool and I havnt heard of anyone having problems with them yet so I might just have to try it. Plus hes in a small tank with smaller fish swimming by him right now and doesnt seem to care.

kylev

I did end up adding the red lobster and am now pondering what I want to qt next. I'm going to add the clowns and mystery wrasse to the DT before I head out of town for thanksgiving. The crosshatch pair will most likely be arriving early january. I've been thinking about qting a couple fish between thanksgiving and christmas but havnt decided what. The remaining fish on the list are the maldive anthias's, achilles tang, large/dwarf angels, LMB, and I've been thinking about the orange back fairy wrasse. Any suggestions on what would work well for the next fish or should I hold off until after the holidays and the crosshatch's? How about just qting the LMB with the fairy wrasse?