280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kylev

I got my achilles tang saturday from SWF!! He hasn't ate yet and has been tempted with spirulina, an assortment of ocean nutrition cubes, krill, and seaweed. He has not ate yet but is constantly moving and active. Any suggestions on getting him to eat??? Thanks

kylev

Thanks for the suggestions Gemmy, but all is good now the achilles is eating like a champ!! Very excited about this fish

kylev

I just got a MRC calcium reactor and am curious if its worth while adding another PH probe for it or if the one in my sump will be sufficient??

kylev

Can anyone identify this green algae growing and whether its good or bad and if bad the best way to kill it?? Thanks

bang guy

From this distance it look like Bryopsis.
The only cure I know of is to either remove the rock it's on completely or to remove all excess nutrients from the water column.

kylev

That's a pain, I have it on two rocks and both of them have corals on them. Would removing all excess nutrients be good for the system? I don't mind the looks of the algae I just don't want it to spread. Do you think if I physically remove what I can periodically it would stay under control? Thanks

bang guy

Removing nutrients from the system will generally only harm algae.
If it is Bryopsis, and you don't remove it, it will continue to spread.

kylev

Would my best option for removing the nutrients be more water changes? I'm guessing trying to beef up my CUC enough to handle it would be pretty immense

kylev

Thanks Bang Guy, would manual removal be a bad idea due to algae floating around and spreading?? or can I remove the rocks and scrub them in a bucket??

bang guy

If you can remove the rocks then scrubbing is a good idea. Rinse them off (old tank water) before placing back into the tank.

kylev

I tried srubbing the rocks but wasnt too successful I couldnt get to agressive due to the corals on the rocks and the algae is pretty tough. Guess I'll just work my excess nutrients down

kylev

I've almost had my lights for a year now and was thinking it was time to ponder changing the bulbs. Would my amount of coral and 2' depth make it smart to change my bulbs or would it be a waste changing them before the 18month mark?
I was thinking about doing both fixtures
-(2) 54W True Actinic 03 T5HO by ATI
-(2) 54W Aquablue special T5HO by ATI
-(1) 54W New generation 14000k T5HO by Korallen Zucht
-(1) 54W Coral light 10000K T5HO by Korallen Zucht
Do you guys think this would give a good color plus allow the corals what they need to grow??
Thanks

kylev

I'm thinking about getting rid of my crosshatches here in the near future. They are just getting to big and too aggressive at eating. The have ran into a few colonies of sps so far but that's about it. If anyone knows of a good home for them PM me please. I hate to see them go but I think its needed.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylev http:///t/374812/280g-fowlr-tank-diary/620#post_3437158
I'm thinking about getting rid of my crosshatches here in the near future. They are just getting to big and too aggressive at eating. The have ran into a few colonies of sps so far but that's about it. If anyone knows of a good home for them PM me please. I hate to see them go but I think its needed.
PM sent.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylev http:///t/374812/280g-fowlr-tank-diary/620#post_3437158
That bites!!!!