29g upgrade/conversion journal

slouiscar

I have an existing 29g fowlr setup that has been running for 6-years. 2-3 inch sand bed, 25lbs live rock, 2 maxi jet 600 PH's, an eclipse hood w/ carbon & bio-wheel. Top off w/ store bought RO water.
sg- 1.026
temp- 78
ph - 8.4
amm.- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 5
The only inhabitant has been a clarkii clown, who has been in the tank for 5+ years.
Now that the kids are a bit older (5 and 8), both family time and interest in the tank has increased. So we have decided to re-commit and upgrade. Everyone is excited. I know it will be lots of work, lots of fun, and lots of satisfaction with an occasional disappointment mixed in.
I recall how valuable this forum was in getting the fowlr up and running successfully and the search function has again been a valuable tool as we researched the changeover. So I decided to attempt a thread to detail the new setup, the rough plan of attack, and progress. I'll try to keep it up w/ pics.
so here it goes.
Ordered, received, and put together a new stand. (the top of the existing was bubbled up and noticed the sides were not square.)
Ordered new equip:
AquaC Remora HOB w/ maxi-jet 1200
2 Koralia 550 gph PH's
24 inch Tek T5 4-light 96watt
2x Actinic White
2x Super Actinic
light bracket
Also got a 29g rubbermaid tub, clean 5g bucket, and a new digital timer w/ 2 outlets. Need to get a test kit for phosphate, cal, alk and mag. Any suggestions?
This weekend we plan to mix a fresh 5g and run a heater/PH for a day or so, then transfer the tank contents to tub, move the tank onto the new stand and then return everything with a 20% water change. Then setup the new PH's, skimmer, and lights. I have to modify the Tek brackets so the 24 inch light will rest on the 30 inch tank. Then it is on to acclimating the lights, dealing with algae outbreak / water changes / new parameter tests / new live rock curing, etc.
I'll fine tune that plan of attack and try to get some messy "before" pics up.

slouiscar

successful move.
Yesterday we emptied the tank, moved to the new stand/location, cleaned up the LR, water change, and put it all back together. After a shy hide stretch the Clarkii is seemingly pleased and back to swimming all over.
Generally pleased with the new equipment. The koralia evolution 550s are a bit big size wise, but the magnetic suction cups are a nice upgrade. I was tired the old PH's sliding and falling off. Seems like there is good flow. The remora was an easy set up. Running a little loud, and kicking back some microbubbles. Hoping the break in improves both of those. No real messy foam after a day. But w/ just the clarkii right now there is a light load. The tek lights are as advertised. Haven't got them up and on timers yet. Still unsure if I want to stay with my bracket 24 to 30 inch modification or if I want to hang the fixture. I think I am going to give that some more thought.
Cloudy tank following the rebuild, so I have some carbon running in the cheapo HOB filter from the old QT. Gonna tighten up the GFCI and the cord situation today. Took a bunch of pics when I get a sec I will upload and post a few.

slouiscar

Well, finally set up a photobucket account, so I'll get to those pics in a sec.
Got a new API marine & reef test kit. #'s looked OK. Need to get accustomed to the color matches for results.
79 deg
sg 1.0255
ph 8.0
amm 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0 -10
calcium 540
KH 143.2 / 8
phos 0-0.25
Had a tough time with it but we brought the clarkii back to the LFS after almost 6 years. Didn't want to do it. But we wanted a fresh start and she would have never allowed tank additions. Picked out a pair of ocellaris clowns and a bangai cardinal. Going to pick them up tomorrow and acclimate. Probably going to add 5 astrea, 5 nassarius, and 3-4 scarlet hermits.

slouiscar

before pic... hated that eclipse setup.

was worried that the stand would go at any moment.

new setup

no more micro bubbles...

slouiscar

Coming up on four days following acclimation and the two clown additions seem to be doing pretty well, but the bangaii is on a hunger strike. Feeding mysis. Going back to the LFS to pick up cyclop-eeze and ova? LFS said that was what they were feeding previously and perhaps the mysis is too big or just too different given the tank change.
The male clown is very active and he eats hard. The female is beginning to be more active, but she isn't as good an eater. Hopefully the variety gets her and the bangaii to eat better.
Added some purple mushrooms and they open up and seem to be doing really well. Only running the daylights for 4-5 hours with the actinics on for 6-7. Planning to add some other corals after a small water change this weekend. The female clown has been sticking her face into the mushrooms and rubbing against them when they open up.
The Remora is skimming really wet. Definitely pulling some mess but the cup always has water in it. I have been slowly raising it up but I'm not sure what to make of it. Might still be in break in or maybe the low bioload and previous big water change...
Only running one of the two Koralia's right now. Didn't want to blow the new fish out of the tank. Seems to be good flow. Not sure if it needs 2 550's. Probably wait a bit til everyone is adjusted then turn it on and see what's up.
Might pick up a few lbs of live rock tonight when I get the food and add that to the QT for a week or so, then add it to the DT.

slouiscar

Picked up the food last night. Both clowns hit the cyclop-eeze like it was candy. Saw the bangaii eat some. Tonight I did a little mix of the ova and the cyclop and I think the hunger strike is over. Seems like the ova got the bangaii out.