2gl Pico inline

flricordia

I saw a few threads about the pico tanks and since I got a small black frogfish angler I thought this would be the perfect setup for it. The frogfish is only about 2 inches and pretty much stays in one spot untill I drop in ghost shrimp. Unfortunatly it hangs at the back right now so getting a pic has been difficult. Hopefully it will get around to the front once it settles in.
The 2gl I drilled for a 1" bulkhead that skims the surface down to the sump of the 4x20 longs I have going and is fed by a maxi-jet 1200 that is in the sump. This feeds into a 1/2" bulkhead w/lockline.
I don't have to be concerned with temp and all that this way. Right now the tank is sitting between the 20s untill I get a shelf built on the wall next to the 20 setups.
Sorry don't have a pic of the frogfish. It is pretty cool. It uses its modified pectorals as feet to walk instead of swim. I don't want to stress it right now and try moving it around front for a pic, but as soon as I can get one I will post it.

flricordia

Originally Posted by Fenrir
http:///forum/post/2556683
As always your tanks amaze me! I really love how you did that rock work.
Thanks. It is just one rock I dropped in there. I am getting frustrated because the frog fish stays back behind it. I was thinking of replacing the rock with small ones, but I am afraid of not giving cover to the fish and getting it stressed. Maybe I just need to give it time.

cj52racers

I was also thinking of getting a frogfish and I was wondering if you have any tips. I love the setup though, it looks awesome.

K

kat74

I would say give him a little more time too. One of my LFS has a red one in their 12 gallon Nano set up and it's a deep, almost burgundy red. He has white on the tips of his pectorals that looks like he has a french manicure.
He's too cute!~
Hope you can get a pic of yours!~

flricordia

I can't believe the appetite of this little tyke. I have not seen it eat the ghost shrimp, though they have all dissapeared, but this evening I went to all the trouble of slowely acclimating 6 feeder guppies so they could live at least a few days and give the black creature time to eat them. As soon as I dropped the guppies in it sucked them all up one by one within about a minutes' time.
Still trying to get a good pic of it in close-up fashion, but the camera doesn't want to balance its total black body with the available PC 50/50 lighting. I will try some different exposures.
Coolest fish I have ever had I believe. Love when it puts its little worm-like lure at the end of its proboscis, if that is the correct term for this type of appendage, out and dangels it.
and what would be the sense of a tank, pico or otherwise, without a few rics...

howardj

That is WEIRD! but in some sort of funky way, cool!

Awesome lookin' Pico, and as always AWESOME ricordeas!

K

kat74

Looove the set up and love your little fella!~ And you KNOW I absolutely worship your rics!~

ledzep

Flricordia, if I can ask, what type of angler is that? and does it stay small? I was always thinking of having an angler in my refugium, but I never could find one that stayed small
thanks

blownz281

I have not seen a black one either. I have had acouple before and they do need bigger tanks. so down the road if you plan to keep him put him in a larger tank atleast 20gals. they are very awesome fish though. He also needs a saltwater diet as the guppies/freshwater foods aren't good for him. i was always able to train mine to eat dead foods from the market. My sargasum even grabbed onto my finger several times until he gagged himself and let go. angler is the real name frogfish is more of a nickname since they walk and kinda look like a mutant frog.

howardj

Originally Posted by blownz281
angler is the real name frogfish is more of a nickname since they walk and kinda look like a mutant frog.
Thank yah

flricordia

Originally Posted by blownz281
http:///forum/post/2560602
I have not seen a black one either. I have had acouple before and they do need bigger tanks. so down the road if you plan to keep him put him in a larger tank atleast 20gals. they are very awesome fish though. He also needs a saltwater diet as the guppies/freshwater foods aren't good for him. i was always able to train mine to eat dead foods from the market. My sargasum even grabbed onto my finger several times until he gagged himself and let go. angler is the real name frogfish is more of a nickname since they walk and kinda look like a mutant frog.
Thanks for the info. As far as I know this one fortunatly only gets up to 4" and that can take a very long time. I know a few locals that have them and have so for a couple years feeding guppies and ghost shrimp. I do not know the life longetivity of this kind though.
But when the time comes to supply a larger tank, wish it was a problem but my garage is full of them.

flricordia

Not sure what species of Antennariidae it is, if in fact this group is still classified as such. Funny about nomenclature is that scienticts will and can change the grouping name whenever they feel like it it seems. Even when the latin name is appropriate such as these with their antenna-like luring proboscis.
Anyway, it cost about $50.
Still very difficult to get a good pic of but here is a side shot while it is resting at the top of the rock after consuming some ghost shrimp.
I made notations of the eye, mouth and lure. Quite an ugly little fart. The white spots are exact duplicate on the other side.

acroshark

if i saw that in the sea i would swim far far away! haha in a way its actually attractive! maybe because its so different! how hard is it to care for? or is it fairly easy?