30 Gallon SPS Reef Build

lubeck

I noticed on the second pic very long stringy tenicles. I thought mili were hairy. I have a couple of those, I don't think the first is a mili

lubeck

Need a little input on color!I'm going to post some updated pics later. I've been seeing a decline in my color of my sps, some darker some much lighter. Ive checked my PAR and have 350 at the top, over 250 in the middle and high 170 on the sand. My parameters are all good flow is great I do 10% weekly water changes but it never fails that my corals will loose color. I feed daily too. I brought the light meter to both LFS and test their water one was 100 and their colors are good. The other store has around 180s and color is generally good. I just don't get why the colors are fading in my tank?

spanko

pastel color is too much light or not enough food or both.
Brown is generally not enough light.
white is generally too much light.

lubeck

its got to be too much light because my clam has actually gotten brighter.... wont the corals eventually acclimate to the light and color back up?

lubeck

what does feed them "correctly" mean exactly? i do spot feed them cyclopeeze and phyto feast, is that what you mean, more or less?

spanko

I use oyster eggs, Coral Frenzy, and fish poop.
turn off all the pumps except a power head in the tank. Mix some food (not fish poop) in a cup of tank water then pour it in the tank and the turn off the power head. Turn all pumps and power heads back on in one half hour. twice a week.

spanko

When I make an effort to feed them the coral food yes. I also feed my fish heavily daily and the coral are getting some of that too. I am one that does not rinse my frozen food;. Lots of good food there. I also feed the fish cyclops and cyclopeeze so the coral are getting something everyday, but twice a week I concentrate on them.

lubeck

Just an update. I insulated/sound proofed my stand this weekend It is working very well with minimizing most sound. It also required me to turn down the heaters due to the insulation. I used foam paneling and custom cut every surface except the ceiling

lubeck

Tank Pics from day 1! I thought it would be cool to show 30 day lags of my tank since it was setup....my tank has only been setup since Jan. 22, 2012 so a little over 2.5 months.....
day 1

1 month old= 2-26-12

2 months-3-23-12

2.5 months 3-28-12