36 Gallon Bowfront

uscmizzy

Hey all I need answers fast! A guy has just offered me a 36 gallon bowfront saltwater tank already up and running with an o clown in it already and 40 lbs of live rock with all equipment included for a low price and needs an answer soon.

1. I know the smaller you go the harder it gets so on a scale of 1-10 where am I at?

2. Hiw many more fish could I add? I was thinking another clown and 3 blue green chromis thoughts?

3. He has one powerhead and an extra 20 gallon tank for a sump or quarantine tank as well with it, which would be better?

So is it a decent deal for 300 bucks?!?

jay0705

What other equipment. Filter, heater, lights, ect. what u listed no not for $300.
Fish wise, I wouldn't try another clown, chromis are iffy. Generally you wind up w one. I would suggest a royal gramma, pygmy hawk, depending on size of clown , dwarf lion

uscmizzy

Included

36 gallon tank
Stand
40 lbs live rock
Powerhead
Heater
Lighting
Extra 20 gallon tank for sump or quaratine
Extra heater
Protein skimmer (cheaper version)
O clown

uscmizzy

Always I have read everywhere that a pair of o clowns are fine and the blue green chromis is the most peaceful fish you can buy almost

lmforbis

Blue green chromis are prone to uronema. This is a parasite that kills and can not be removed from the tank by going fallow. For that reason alone I will never get one. They are peaceful with other fish but not each other.
Clowns can be done in pairs as long as you only have one female. Best done if you get both very young.
If the lights are good it is a good price. Crappy lights probably not as good but much cheaper than buying all new.
As for ease, if you use the other tank as a sump increasing water volume by another 10 - 12 gallons you are probably at a 4-5.
If you do a lot of research before you add any fish and quarantine all of them at least 30 days before adding them to the tank you should do OK. Expect issues with water quality when you move the tank. I'd get at the very least an ammonia test kit. Your ammonia may go up after moving the tank which can be deadly. Get an ammonia detoxifier like SeaChem Prime to add to the water.

uscmizzy

Ok thanks everybody! You have no idea how much of a help this forum has been for research and information! If it all works out I'll be sure to post pictures and continue questions to make sure I'm doing the right thing for the tank

uscmizzy

Went and picked it up. Ended up paying only 200 for it. Here is what all I got:

36 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront Tank Kit
Marineland 200 filter HOB
Aqueon Heater
Aqueon Powerhead
45 lbs Live Rock
O Clown
Shrimp
Green Crab
48 lbs salt mix
Extra 20 gallon aquarium
Extra heater
Test kit
Prime soulton

Right now it is really cloudy so I'm scared to add the O Clown in at the moment? Will it hurt it if it's cloudy?

Is there anything more I need to complete it?

Thanks again everybody! Tried posting picture from my phone and it wouldn't work

bang guy

Do NOT add ANYTHING new at this time. Cloudy means it's completely unstable. Let it settle down, let the bacteria colonies settle. Test for Ammonia. If there is no ammonia I would suggest ghost feeding until either the ammonia goes up, or a few weeks have passed and you add the desired Clownfish.

uscmizzy

Yea the clown came with the tank so I'm just trying to be cautious and it is sand I just wanted to a me sure...

lmforbis

I'd test the water first. Stirring up the sand can release a lot of bad stuff into the water. Prime would be a good idea but doesn't necessarily fix everything. Can you put the clown in the spare tank with fresh salt water and a heater and a power head until the other tank tests ok and the cloudiness gets better.