4' x 4' tank build

S

saltycrab

Hey if you want a Reeflo Dart pump half price call 877-378-6798 that is the direct factory number. They are selling new 07 Darts and snappers for $125 shipped.

S

saltycrab

I meant fiber glass I used 3 inch tape in all the seems. I got this idea from you BTW so thanks for the inspiration.
I think the outer portion of the tank will be fine. I am mostly going to be growing soft corals so I don't think it will be an issue. Some of my zoos look best in low light. I am planning on hanging the light 20-22 inches above the water but only time will tell.

bronco300

Originally Posted by SaltyCrab
http:///forum/post/2715580
I meant fiber glass I used 3 inch tape in all the seems. I got this idea from you BTW so thanks for the inspiration.
I think the outer portion of the tank will be fine. I am mostly going to be growing soft corals so I don't think it will be an issue. Some of my zoos look best in low light. I am planning on hanging the light 20-22 inches above the water but only time will tell.
haha. awesome, you should have messaged me, i still had leftover fiberglass
looks great thus far!

S

saltycrab

I've been working on the electrical the last couple days. I installed a Nema 4x fiberglass box containing 6 GFCI outlets. They are wired to a breaker box with 2 15 amp breakers. 3 outlets are wired to each breaker. 3 of the outlets are wired to a Kill-a-watt meter as well. I also have one timer installed. I have another one as well as my two stage Ranco controller wired and just need to install them on the tank. Each breaker is wired to a 14 gauge extension cord for now.

If you look closely you can see that 3 GFIs use 2 watts of power.

mr_x

nice job so far! i was thinking of doing a 4 x 8 tank 12" deep but it won't fit in this house unless i remove a couch or some other unimportant item taking up good tank space.

jimvette1

http:///forum/post/2724858
I've been working on the electrical the last couple days. I installed a Nema 4x fiberglass box containing 6 GFCI outlets. They are wired to a breaker box with 2 15 amp breakers. 3 outlets are wired to each breaker. 3 of the outlets are wired to a Kill-a-watt meter as well. I also have one timer installed. I have another one as well as my two stage Ranco controller wired and just need to install them on the tank. Each breaker is wired to a 14 gauge extension cord for now.

If you look closely you can see that 3 GFIs use 2 watts of power.

Really nice job on that box. ^
I love it when people take the time to do a nice job.

You do know that a GFCI has the ability to protect receptacles "downstream" of the circuit. You really only needed 2 GFCI's (You stated you had only two circuits) and 4 regular outlets. You can save a little money that way, in the future. But there is nothing wrong with the way you did it. Just trying to save you some money for more fish.

Again, great pictures and a fantastic job.

nwdyr

I am just amazed at how you guys BUILD these tanks!
I am pretty handy but I don't think i could ever do it! awsome job

S

saltycrab

I got these GFI on eLame so they cost 1/3 of the normal $12 price. I wanted them so that I could have each vital piece of equipment on an individual circuit so if one trip all of half of the tank doesn't go down. So if my heater fails my pump doesnt shut off too. This is why each GFI is wired into the breaker. You are right that I could have protected everything off of one or a couple GFIs but I would have lost this ability. It would have been much easier to wire though.

jimvette1

http:///forum/post/2725341
I got these GFI on eLame so they cost 1/3 of the normal $12 price. I wanted them so that I could have each vital piece of equipment on an individual circuit so if one trip all of half of the tank doesn't go down. So if my heater fails my pump doesnt shut off too. This is why each GFI is wired into the breaker. You are right that I could have protected everything off of one or a couple GFIs but I would have lost this ability. It would have been much easier to wire though.
I would have done this exactly as you did. Everyone has a reason and a plan and yours is a good one. Good thinking.

I might have added a few more timers, I always needed more than I planned on!
My comment was just food for thought, in case someone else might want to save a few bucks.
Now a question.......
You said each GFCI is wired to the breaker? I assume you mean 3 on one and 3 on the other? And by trip you mean if your heater or pump "faults", right? If they "trip the breaker" all 3 on that circuit will shut off.
One more thing, your two cords coming out of your box, are they being feed by two different circuits? I mean are they just plugged into the same outlet to feed your two breakers? If so an “overload” on one circuit will shut down both breakers. Each cord must be plugged into its “own” circuit protected by its own breaker at the main panel.
Even if the breakers at the Panel you built are 15 amp and the breakers at the main panel are 20 amp (and I won’t even go into NECA code problems) there is no guarantee the 15 amp will trip before the 20 amp.
Clear as mud right?

chilwil84

You said each GFCI is wired to the breaker? I assume you mean 3 on one and 3 on the other? And by trip you mean if your heater or pump "faults", right? If they "trip the breaker" all 3 on that circuit will shut off.
usually the gfci will trip before the breaker in the box saving the other 2 outlets from losing power.

jimvette1

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2725802
usually the gfci will trip before the breaker in the box saving the other 2 outlets from losing power.
A GFCI is not a circuit breaker!!!
It is a Ground Fault Sensing Device
A circuit breaker trips when it's bi-metal device detects a predetermined set point (15 amp, 20 amp ect.) and opens the circuit.
A GFCI Monitors the current change between the hot and the neutral.
Not the same thing
That is why I used the words TRIP or Ground FAULT.
If there is an overload of current, like drawing 20 amps on a 15 amp breaker the Breaker will trip first. ONLY if there is a Ground Fault will the GFCI trip first.

S

saltycrab

Jim you are perfectly clear. The breaker box is in place to protect the 14 gauge wiring and let me know if I am overloading the circuits. If I decided to run a 1/2 HP chiller, 600 watts lights, etc I could go over 15 amps at peak power usage. This would trip the breaker. With the 30 amps usable I will have plenty of leeway if I want to add expensive toys in the future. Also the reason I ran two cords is so that I can plug into different outlets (on different breakers) for now. In actuality I am going to only use 3 outlets for now on one breaker. In the future I am going to add a couple breakers to my house's breaker box.

jimvette1

http:///forum/post/2726329
Jim you are perfectly clear. The breaker box is in place to protect the 14 gauge wiring and let me know if I am overloading the circuits. If I decided to run a 1/2 HP chiller, 600 watts lights, etc I could go over 15 amps at peak power usage. This would trip the breaker. With the 30 amps usable I will have plenty of leeway if I want to add expensive toys in the future. Also the reason I ran two cords is so that I can plug into different outlets (on different breakers) for now. In actuality I am going to only use 3 outlets for now on one breaker. In the future I am going to add a couple breakers to my house's breaker box.
...Perfect....^
I see you understand.

I was only trying to make it clear for others what you were doing.

Gosh, let's talk about your tank now.

Any where near filling it, How about some more pictures?

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by JimVette1
http:///forum/post/2726143
A GFCI is not a circuit breaker!!!
It is a Ground Fault Sensing Device
A circuit breaker trips when it's bi-metal device detects a predetermined set point (15 amp, 20 amp ect.) and opens the circuit.
A GFCI Monitors the current change between the hot and the neutral.
Not the same thing
That is why I used the words TRIP or Ground FAULT.
If there is an overload of current, like drawing 20 amps on a 15 amp breaker the Breaker will trip first. ONLY if there is a Ground Fault will the GFCI trip first.

I guess if we are getting technical here, then technically the circuit breaker trips by the presence of heat(bi-metallic thermal strip). 15 amps creates x amount of heat, 20 amps creates more etc. etc. However, the circuit breaker does not trip immediately upon seeing 21 amps of current. It can in fact trip while only having 18 amps of current flowing through it. Ambient room temperature as well as ambient temperature of surrounding breakers and most importantly TIME all have an effect on the breakers performance. You can in fact for short periods of time(few seconds) with long periods between(several min) in fact draw more than the breakers rated over current protection value.
A GFCI trips by the shifting of current values on EITHER the hot or the neutral wire. It will in fact trip by a larger flow on either current carrying conductors. This may be a ground fault derived between the neutral and the grounding conductor as well as the hot and the grounding conductor. GFCI's utilize current transformers to measure the floe of amperage. this is the reason some believe that the gfi provides over current protection as well. It can in fact provide a bit of over current protection, and as such MAY trip before the breaker does. However it is not designed to perform this task and as such is not a reliable source by any means of over current protection.
FYI
In fact, it can take up to 10,000 amps for a 15 amp inverse time circuit breaker to trip.
but it would do this incredibly fast. As fast as 1/60th of a second possibly, but definitely less than a second.

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by JimVette1
http:///forum/post/2726824
...Perfect....^
I see you understand.

I was only trying to make it clear for others what you were doing.

Gosh, let's talk about your tank now.

Any where near filling it, How about some more pictures?
Im going to order some lighting equipment today. Lumatek 400 watt ballast and Lumamax reflector. I will have to wait until I can afford the bulb.
But since Im going to be stuck at my house today with Fay (the storm, unfortunatly) I will finish up some work and post pics.

S

saltycrab

I added the last two layers of epoxy today. Does that make layer 15 or 25, I lost count. I added a lot of dye to these last two layers to block UV penetration. I added the overflow screens and epoxied the PVC to blend in. I installed another timer and the two stage Ranco. I also took a pic of my soon to be installed Dart pump.

jimvette1

Great looking SaltyCrab

Told you you would need more timers...

Why don't you drag that big boy outside and let Fay fill it up for you?