4' x 4' tank build

S

saltycrab

If there was alot of wind and rain I didnt see it. I had my garage door open most of the day working on this and there were some 30 MPH gust but not much heavy rain. The power didn't go out once either.

jimvette1

Well, I guess no free fish falling from the sky.

But that's a good thing, hope you stay safe but that Fay seems like she doesen't know where she's going.

Keep us updated so we know your safe.

S

saltycrab

Ya getting ready to start classes for fall; and you guys think saltwater tanks are expensive
. I picked up a 50 gallon Rubbermaid Stock tank from Ace Hardware in Wellington. Im getting ready to order my PVC fittings from Flexpvc.com but my order is going to run around 150, much more than I expected to pay. All the specialty parts (check valve, 90 degree sweeps) add up fast. My plumbing is going to be sick though. Im thinking about installing a surge bucket also since it will cost very little. Only thing I want to avoid is the tank having too many micro bubbles so Im not sure yet.

aquaguy24

this thing is gonna look awesome with its up and running can't wait to see this..i wish i was more of a DIY guy..

jimvette1

SaltyCrab:
Classes expensive huh?

Just remember, usually school will end, but those salt-water tanks just never stop sucking that money out of your wallet.....

Looking good, love the pic's.

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by JimVette1
http:///forum/post/2733770
SaltyCrab:
Classes expensive huh?

Just remember, usually school will end, but those salt-water tanks just never stop sucking that money out of your wallet.....

Looking good, love the pic's.

They were expensive but I managed to get 100% ride last minute (class start today and it went through today)
. Best news Ive gotten in months. Now I can use part of the tuition cash I've been saving this summer to get the rest of the equipment I need
I built a pvc stand for the egg crate racks and painted it black to match. Everything looks good. Time to order my PVC and lights.
BTW if you need black egg crate check out ridout plastics. Only place I found on the net that has it at a good price.

I'm conflicted on the light combo I want to get. I've been thinking Lumatek 400 with a XM 20k but now Im thinking Reeflux 12k on a Coralvue dimable ballast.

greenreefer

I wasn't a big fan of the Reeflux 12k, but I had the DE version and I've heard the SE version might be a little more blue. I was running the 150w version of that lamp in a Coralife Aqualight Pro fixture
What kind of paint did you use on the pvc? If it was ok for the pvc then why not just paint the egg crate too?

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/2735283
I wasn't a big fan of the Reeflux 12k, but I had the DE version and I've heard the SE version might be a little more blue. I was running the 150w version of that lamp in a Coralife Aqualight Pro fixture
What kind of paint did you use on the pvc? If it was ok for the pvc then why not just paint the egg crate too?
It would be pointless to paint the egg crate when I can buy it black for the same price.

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/2735428
I thought black eggcrate was pricey. ANyways what kind of paint were you able to use on the pvc?
Krylon after I rough sanded the PVC

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2740830
man it looks like a sweet tank!
Thanks! I am getting restless waiting on this PVC to arrive so that I can plumb the thing. Im starting to think I should have paid $70 extra to get next day shipping! Anyways I know how reefers can't live without pictures so I took some tank related ones to hold everyone over (the five people following the thread anyways
).
This is the mold I use to make frag plugs. It has larger ones (1.25") and smaller ones (7/8"). I use white Portland type one cement in a 1:2 ratio to play sand I got from Home Depot. I let them harden in the mold for a week then push them out. They then go into my toilet reservoir to cure. The mold is two 1x12s sandwiched together.

These are four fans I will use for evap cooling. The site I bought them from rated them at 1/8 amp but they are in fact 1/4 amp each so I could only connect 4 to my one amp wall transformer for now. I cut a piece of sch 40 pipe in half longways with a hacksaw blade and installed the fans to the halves. They put out 50 CFM each.

This is my power back up. I have a 5500 watt 7750 Peak Briggs and Straton. This will run alot of my house minus the largest appliances (AC, water heater ect). I can keep my refrigerator, tanks, lights, tvs, computers, running when the next hurricane destroys Florida. For the shorter time periods without power I have a 1000 watt Chinese made special to just run the tanks. I am planning on converting the 5500 watt to LP soon.

grue

At least 6 people following this thread
Not all post as questions asked by another. Great Job

Grue

A

alexmir

Seems like a very cool project, i have been following it,and cant wait to see water in it. That frag plug idea seems like a really good one. I think i might try it. Did you just drill a wider hole like 3/8" down, then drill a smaller one in the middle? seems like it would work really well. also, do you put any plastic in the holes to keep the concrete from sticking? or do they just pop out with no problem?

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2742041
Seems like a very cool project, i have been following it,and cant wait to see water in it. That frag plug idea seems like a really good one. I think i might try it. Did you just drill a wider hole like 3/8" down, then drill a smaller one in the middle? seems like it would work really well. also, do you put any plastic in the holes to keep the concrete from sticking? or do they just pop out with no problem?
Im still working to revise this. Releasing the concrete from the mold is an issue. I have heard that soaking the mold in water helps. This is the second batch I am making. The first was a success but the plug pegs which I think are 3/8" (forgot) all broke off. I think I might have tried to release them to early though. If I get the process down well I think I might sell these on this site for cheap. The unit cost per plug is virtually zero minus labor. A 90lb bag of white cement is $20 and the 50lb bag of sand is like $4. I am also interested in how many times the mold can be reused.