450 gallon reef

oceandude

Nice setup bro. Can't wait to move soon. I wanna get Mitch from Canada (or someone as good as him) to build a 675g for me. Man, he's good.

koon7

Im glad to see you wanna go bigg, its the only way to go if you ask me. Thanks fo the comment and hope to see a big tank soon from you.

isthatright

omg your tank is awesome! i could learn alot from u i think. i've been into saltwater for about 5 yrs now learnin as i go, wish u lived in my neck of the woods lol. i just set up a 90 n have a 55 still running so i'm doing sand this time n have so far 30 pounds of lr n gettin more soon. have fish only now but want to have a tank similar to yours. i cant keep both tanks so i'm selling my 55. i have a 405 fluval ,2pwr hds,2 heaters only 1 plugged in ,so just lettin it cycle right now.

koon7

Originally Posted by isthatright
http:///forum/post/3148688
omg your tank is awesome! i could learn alot from u i think. i've been into saltwater for about 5 yrs now learnin as i go, wish u lived in my neck of the woods lol. i just set up a 90 n have a 55 still running so i'm doing sand this time n have so far 30 pounds of lr n gettin more soon. have fish only now but want to have a tank similar to yours. i cant keep both tanks so i'm selling my 55. i have a 405 fluval ,2pwr hds,2 heaters only 1 plugged in ,so just lettin it cycle right now.
Thanks i can answer any questions you might have. Kinda funny i had both a 90 and 55 setup before i upgraded. Youre 90 sounds like it will be on its way soon enough. Good luck

koon7

Originally Posted by insane96
http:///forum/post/3148705
sweet tank i just upgraded to a 300 gal it is quite a transition

Cant wait to see some pics of youre 300, as far as a transition goes, it took me a week to get my tank all put together and running smoothly. Hope all goes well for you and get some pics up when you can

isthatright

can't believe you set that up ina week, did you buy your rock with or without the cool stuff growing on it , i can't wait till i can have that in my tank,

koon7

I transfered a 90 gallon and a 55 gallon into this tank, so i had too do everything quickly. Getting the water is what took the longest. Just had xenia on a couple rocks and some zoanthids. evrything else grew on its own or was purchased at some point.

isthatright

so cool. i'm still waiting for my tank to cycle. i tested yesterday n my nitrates are a little high still so i hope by halloween i can put something in my tank, should i put cuc in first ? i also thought maybe i might switch carbon filter from my old tank to my new one to get some bacteria in there, what ya think?

koon7

yes put youre cleanup crew in first, also the bacteria from old filters will probably not help much, you can buy bacteria at fish stores which will work much better. Good luck cant wait to c youre tank

isthatright

isthat right, is it because i'm going from a 55 to a90? what kinda cuc should i get being theres not much to eat in there. if u go in on fish discussion i have 2 pics of my tanks, since then i added 35 more pounds of lr.

koon7

some of the bacteria will probably die due too changes from one tank to the other, just get a cuc rated for a 90 gallon tank, the inverts will find things on the rock to eat and in the sand. I looked at youre tank pics it seems to be coming along nicely, good job.

isthatright

yeh i'll do that but i do have some cuc in my 55 n i cant believe my largest hermit crab killed my feather duster, i feed my fist like every other day , just a bummer it was so pretty. what do you think about cleaning dead rock n transfering to the 90, i heard that it can become live again. thinking about using bleach , i know i should rinse real good but not sure .

koon7

transfer whatever cuc you have and go from there, sucks a hermit ate youre feather duster, ive never used any dead rock, so im not too sure about it. But bleach sounds risky, maybe you can find someone who used bleach and see what they have to say.

isthatright

i talked to a girl at the lfs, i've known her for yrs n she said to rinse real good till u dont smell bleach , i have some red algae n been battleing for a while now. i've had fish only for 5 yrs n now this 90 is making me nervous cause of the lr n sand but i'm going for it. i have 1 lrg hermit n 4 little crabs so i'll have to get more anyway.