48in lighting system for 90G tank

geckoxp

Ok I am ready to buy a new lighting system and I wanted to get an idea on what everyone would recommend out there? I was heavily looking into an outer orbit system but I guess they are going away?
Here is what I am looking for for my 90G system, basically a system where I would have no restrictions on any corals that I would like to add...
48in system with built in LED for night time viewing. I was thinking dual MH lighting at say 150 or 250w? Would 250w be overkill? Also would MH lighting be the way to go now or is it old school with the VHO T5 lighting?
Basically not looking at spending a fortune here but a nice system that would feature everything I would need to keep any coral withouth breaking the bank?
Might be asking a lot but any input would be great here in making a decision!!

braydonosu

I'm in the same boat as you - looking for an affordable 48" light for my 75. I'm not sure that halides are 'on the way out'. They are very good lights that are not only good for your sea creatures, they are pleasing to the eye. They do run a little hotter and you do not have the same light combinations/bulb configurations as you can with T5's. A good T5 HO will allow you to keep anything in your tank as will a good Halide system. 250 watts will not be overkill, it would be perfect since you've got a deeper tank.

geckoxp

48" Current USA Outer
Orbit 2x250W 10,000K
HQI-MH w/ 4x54W
T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights
That would be the one I would be looking at getting...BUT no one has any around...ive looked everywhere and can't find one available...so my guess is as good as anyone elses I suppose in whats going on with the Outer Orbit series of lights.

meowzer

Originally Posted by GeckoXp
http:///forum/post/3138946
48" Current USA Outer
Orbit 2x250W 10,000K
HQI-MH w/ 4x54W
T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights
That would be the one I would be looking at getting...BUT no one has any around...ive looked everywhere and can't find one available...so my guess is as good as anyone elses I suppose in whats going on with the Outer Orbit series of lights.
If you pm me your e-mail...I will tell you where you can get one

vorlx

I recently upgraded to a Sunlight Supply TEK 6x54 watt T5 HO Fixture on my 75g. I was planning on the 8 bulb but it was slightly larger than my tank was and wanted some extra wiggle room to move the lights back/forth as I do maint on the tank. I am really impressed. They do an amazing job. They are listed at around 470 w/bulbs. I got to chose any type of bulbs I wanted, so it ended up saving me some cash since I got to go with the good brand lights. I needed the leg mounts which ran another 50 (it comes with the hanging hardware).
There were a couple other brands that were really nice, like the ATI Powermodule but they were just a bit to pricey for my taste. Sever hundred dollars more than the TEK.

geckoxp

Thanks for the info Vorlx...I like the look of the HQI bulbs as they simulate real sun...I believe I have found the system available online that i was looking for...was debating the 250 or 150w bulbs but went with the 150w system...I should be able to keep any corals in the system that I want to with this unit according to the info I have seen and the specs of the unit.

zsqure

I have that exact light. Have had it for almost two years, nice light, no problems. PM me and I will tell you where I got it.

flower

Originally Posted by braydonosu
http:///forum/post/3138914
I'm in the same boat as you - looking for an affordable 48" light for my 75. I'm not sure that halides are 'on the way out'. They are very good lights that are not only good for your sea creatures, they are pleasing to the eye. They do run a little hotter and you do not have the same light combinations/bulb configurations as you can with T5's. A good T5 HO will allow you to keep anything in your tank as will a good Halide system. 250 watts will not be overkill, it would be perfect since you've got a deeper tank.

I really hope you are wrong about MH lighting on the way out. As long as people buy them they will stay on the market. T5s don't look as good...and looks is everything in this hobby. I use 2 X 175 14K MH lighting for my 90g. Also 2 X 65w actinic and strip of moonlights. I love it!

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3140579

I really hope you are wrong about MH lighting on the way out. As long as people buy them they will stay on the market. T5s don't look as good...and looks is everything in this hobby. I use 2 X 175 14K MH lighting for my 90g. Also 2 X 65w actinic and strip of moonlights. I love it!
I really like the T5HO set that I have on my 29G....
Actually at the moment, I like it better than my $1300 metal halides on the 225G....
....Maybe once I get bulbs that I like that will make a difference
WHO KNOWS

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3140585
I really like the T5HO set that I have on my 29G....
Actually at the moment, I like it better than my $1300 metal halides on the 225G....
....Maybe once I get bulbs that I like that will make a difference
WHO KNOWS

I tried T5s...they didn't last long, 6 months. That was 3 years ago and they were a new thing then, they may make them better now. The MH had lots of tweaking..(heat..the right K bulbs) but I still like them better than the T5s I had.

rsalinas5

What 3 bulds do u all suggest, i have a 75 gallon, and i to want to be able to put any coral in my tank. I currenlty have a catalina fixture. 3 bulb. Im curenlty in the cycling stage, going on 2 weeks. Can you all please help me out.