5 1/2 Nano Diary

nygel

how much did you pay for that light/ whats the brandname. (i'm putting together a 5.5 and currently have my old 10 gallon light on it, want something more like what you have.)

schadiest1

Otter,
I do have a glass top, cuz gobies like to jump. I have a rusty goby in the tank now.
I upgraded my lighting because I want to do a few easy SPS corals and some bright colored zoos.
I am using a skimmer because of the SPS corals, they need pristine water conditions.

schadiest1

Originally Posted by nYgel
how much did you pay for that light/ whats the brandname. (i'm putting together a 5.5 and currently have my old 10 gallon light on it, want something more like what you have.)
The light is a K2 Viper 70w Halide, and unless you get the new model, you don't want it. The old model which I have, has had nothing but bad reviews. My bulb is out already, in under a week. I bought it used for $115 shipped.
I have a new light on the way. It's a 70w metal halide retrofit kit. I'll get pics posted when I get it hooked up.

schadiest1

It's a kit that a guy builds and sells. I paid $140 for it and it came with a Ushio 14k bulb. I've seen the bulb alone retail for $69.99

v8eater

Have you had a problem with water Temperature? That much light on that little tank and I didnt see any fans to move heat throught the canopy unless I missed something. Just Curious.

bill109

Originally Posted by Schadiest1
Bill,
The bristle worm I have, he is huge and is a great tank cleaner.
very nice
cant wait to see some coral in it... ne updates?

schadiest1

Originally Posted by gregghia
Schadiest what kind of heater do you have in that tank... I want to make a DIY nano and looking for heat!
I just use a cheap one from Pet Quarters, only cost about $10 and works fine.

schadiest1

Originally Posted by LoViN_LiFe
wats th4e yellow and orange thing?
They are montipora capricornis (SPS) corals.