5.5 Gal with custom overflow/fuge built in.

ray j neal

I am working on my new project this afternoon. I got a AGA 5.5G tank for 14 dollars. 8 Dollars for a tube of AGA silicone and another 8 for a sheet of plexiglass. What I have done is cut the plexi to the width of the tank and placed it 5.1 inches from the left side of the tank. The divider has 8 1.3 inch slots cut across the top for water to overflow across. There is a divider wall I placed in and left a 1.2 inch gap from the bottom of the tank. On the other side of this divider is a hole cut in the FIRST piece of glass (follow me?) for the powerhead to return. I will use the overflow side as a fuge. I plan to put some LR/LS/macro in there and maybe a piece of filter floss across the 1.2 inch opening to prevent debris from returning to the tank. I know it is a lot to comprehend so I will tank a picture soon. If I thought sooner I would have taken step by step pictures. The silicone for the first piece is drying right now..I will have pics soon!
-Ray

meleerock

sounds like a fun little project. Just a little heads up though... silicone doesnt really stick to plexi glass that well so be carefull with it.

ray j neal

Originally Posted by MeleeRock
sounds like a fun little project. Just a little heads up though... silicone doesnt really stick to plexi glass that well so be carefull with it.

Are you suggesting that I will not hold? I couldn't find anything to use other than GLASS silicone. Acrylic silicone wouldn't be any better as I don't have acrylic..what are your thoughts on this working?

ray j neal

Here are a few pictures as of right now. I am waiting for the seal to cure so I can them trim the excess. I used black silicone since I already had it and it will be covered anyway.

and another..

Here is what it will look like once I wrap the outside with black plexi..

circled in red is where the return into the display is.
I also cut a plexi lid and cut slots out for the heater and PH cords and plan to drill holes above the fuge side. I am going to get a black cabnet handle for the top.
Has anyone ever tried this before? Just curious how it worked out for them and how you like/d it.
Not bad for a Sunday project huh?

ray j neal

After letting the seal dry overnight I filled it with FW to check for leaks and see the operation. I was playing around with water levels and any evaporation that happens won't be visible in the display. I plan on running the water level about an inch lower on the fuge/sump side than the display. I am ordering a Finnex Titanium 50w heater and a Current USA sattelite PC with seperate on/off for actinic/10k. The fixture also has lunars so it will be a complete 24/7 light. On the overflow side I will be putting in some LR rubble and some macro. I need something to prevent debris from returning to the display. I think I can use a piece of sponge across the bottom of the baffle right?
Here is the system being ran for the first time..

This last one is what it will look like once I paint some plexi to wrap around the outside..

ray j neal

Tank is filled and has a DSB bottom. I put a 1/2" of sand in the fuge and a piece of blue filter foam between the fuge/return wall. Once it clears I will add some LR rubble in the fuge side and when my lights come add the macro. Let me know what you think!

ray j neal

It's ALIVE! I tell ya all these views and no one has any questions? I will continue to post with updates-- In the mean time check out my 10G nano thread I started.

grumpygils

When is the deltec calc reactor, skimmer and control system coming? How is the auto top off coming along? Be careful with the size of tang you put in it! I love it!
Mc
P.S. You will test your water and the salinity will go up.

ray j neal

Originally Posted by grumpygils
When is the deltec calc reactor, skimmer and control system coming? How is the auto top off coming along? Be careful with the size of tang you put in it! I love it!
Mc
P.S. You will test your water and the salinity will go up.
TANG? I was thinking more like an adult snowflake eel! J/K

I never said anything about a calc reactor or skimmer..did you mean to post in a different thread?

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Ray J Neal
TANG? I was thinking more like an adult snowflake eel! J/K

I never said anything about a calc reactor or skimmer..did you mean to post in a different thread?

Oh come on! Do the reactor and skimmer, it will go good with the wave system and surge tank!
Mc

ray j neal

Oh come on! Do the reactor and skimmer, it will go good with the wave system and surge tank!
Mc

Grumpy- I am actually planning on using that on the 2.5G NOT the 5.5..c'mon now get with the program!

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Ray J Neal
Grumpy- I am actually planning on using that on the 2.5G NOT the 5.5..c'mon now get with the program!

Steve Weis has nothing on you!

ray j neal

Steve Weis has nothing on you!

No sir, just 844.5 gallons!

My largest tank atm is 150 gallon FOWLR. I am glad my fiance is so understanding. We have four marine tanks (150, 29, 10, 5.5) and two fresh (55 cichlid and a 20 pirranha). That pirranha is boring as all hell, but I made a commitment to getting him and refuse to get rid of him.

ray j neal

Nygel- The tank will be a soft-dominated coral tank with a few stoney corals in there possibly. I have another thread in the nano section showing my 10G with a few corals, inverts and damsel (!). I will throw in a pair of sexy shrimp (girlfriend likes em), porcelian (SP) crab and a cleaner crew.
CK- I am going to go with the Current USA Satellite 20". It is a 24/7 combo with acetinic/10,000K and moon lights. I am sure this light will provide adequate sunshine for anything I may place in there
If anyone has questions on how to duplicate my project just ask. If you are using a AGA or any standard 5.5G glass tank I can even give you the measurments.
I have thrown in a piece of LR from my 150 FOWLR as well as some rubble pieces from a 29 I have up. I put half of the rubble in the display side and half on the fuge side.
I want to put live sand on the fuge side. I put some 'dead' sand on that side but am going to remove it. Some of it got past my filter sponge when placing it in there. To prevent it from getting on the pump side when removing the filter pad, I think I will place the LS in a micron mesh bag, then LR/macro on top of that. Is there any draw backs to placing the sand in the bag? Critters possibly can't get 'in'? Is LS a must on the bottom of my fuge? Fuge is used simply for filtering purposes, not for food. I think LR/macro will be adequate for filtering purposes? Thanks guys/gals!

And the fuge side..

Circled in red is the filter pad I cut and stuffed between the fuge/return pump divider. Circled in blue is the dead sand which I would like to remove. Is sand neccessary for filtering or will LR and macro do a fine job? Thanks, I hope you all enjoy!

ray j neal

The coralife 65w is only temporary until the satellite arrives. I will be using a Finnex Titanium 50w with external temp control to heat the tank.

ray j neal

Everything is running good and the water has cleared up. Today I am installing a small computer fan on the canopy to help with heat disapation. You want the fan pulling air off the water, not blowing on it, correct?