5.8 Watts/Gallon on PC. Can I keep a Crocea Clam?

areijin

So I was trading in some overgrown Starpolyps and my LFS said that I could keep Crocea Clams with my lighting. I have 8 - 55 watt bulbs which works out to be about 5.8 Watts/Gallon. Can I keep a Crocea Clam? I really thought they had to have more intense light.

nm reef

You might be able to successfully keep a squamosa or derasa...but your current lighting may not be adaquate for any of the more light demanding types.
Watts per gallon is a poor measure in my opinion.....its more about spectrum/intensity/par....than simply watts per gal.
In addition any of the clams available will require a well established and matured system with very stable water chemistry...lighting is only part of the equation.

cobra2806

Not to start a huge debate, just offering my experience and opinion. I have a setup similar to yours. Sounds like you have a 75g, while mine is a 55g and I have 8-65w PC’s. I’m currently keeping nine clams. A 1 Squam, 1 Dersa, 3 Maxima, 1 Crocea on the sandbed and 2 Maxima, 1 Crocea high on the rocks. They’ve been in there for 6 months to 2 years. All are colorful and appear healthy. Honestly, if I had your tank I’d make a hood slide the PC’s as close as possible and add two MH, or add more PC’s. What am I saying? You could keep a Crocea now, provided water quality is there and it wouldn’t slowly die, but more lighting couldn’t hurt.

torch

Brooklyn Johnny was keeping clams under PC's. He has a lot of good info, Id do a search for his posts. :thinking:

bseth90

I've got two crocea clams under 5.5 watts per gallon and they are doing great. Look better now than under the lfs mh. Medium flow, dt's, test your water and I see no problems

areijin

Yeah, I was thinking of adding some MH. I need to keep my hood the same since I have a cat. I was thinking of taking out the middle four PC and leaving the other four as actinics.
My question on the is would my hood keep too much heat? I have two 4 inch fans on my hood and the lighting now is about 9 inches off the surface of the water.
Does anyone have experience with puting MH in a hood setup for PCs???