65 gallon sps reef profile with many pics

daceman89

New Setup?
I'm am going to upgrade to a 180 gallon tank and i need some help setting it up.I had a 80gallon reef on the first floor then we drilled to basement an ran 1" pvc piping feeding water into a 75 gallon gravity feed then then had overflo leading under tank into a sump with protein skimmer in it then out of protein through uv light back into sump out of sump through iwalki 55 feeding back upstairs. I'm getting ride of everything but i want to use a similar setup. My 180 will be upstairs and will gravity feed overflo down stairs.I'm going to buy the kalk reactor and calcium reactor from MRC and a litermeter3. also posted a tread to determine which protein skimmer i should get ETSS or MRC .Also i would like to know if I should go with Acrylic or Tub sump in basement and should i get a external Protein skimmer and would i need a refuge if i use Calcium Reactor with Co2 tank and ph monitor.I also was going to get a wavemaster with powerheads but i also hate powerheads in display so please tell me about the way you hooked up the waterflo without powersheads.
This is all the items i will need help with to set up in basement.
MRC Reef Sump is 36"x18"x18".
MRC Protein Skimmer (MR-3) or (MR-5) and need pump
MRC Calcium Reactor (CR-2) or (CR-6)
MRC Fluidized Media Chamber (FMC-618)
MRC Co2 Tank
MRC Co2 Dual Gauge Regulator
Milwaukee (SMS122) Ph monitor
MRC Nilsen Reactor (MED or STD)
UV light
Iwalki Pump Feeding water back upstairs
Litermeter3
Rodi Top off
wavemaster
And bucketless Water Change setup if possible
I'm starting from scratch and with your knowledge make pretend that this tank is for you even if you need to change my whole set up and tell me what would you purchase to hook up the 180 and how would you connect keeping in mind that i would like to have everything possible in basement while tank would be one flight up.
Please draw me,send pic or explain to me how to set this up.
I would greatly appreciate it.

rob1116

reefcentral's Tank of the Month for September! Congrats Johnny!
lol... recognition only feeds the addiction!

euphoria

Very nice tank, I love it.
How do you guys manage to place all those corals in a tank that size? I have a 60 gallon myself, but can't find any room to place the corals, especially on the live rock. I have about 8 pieces of corals on the live rock and already they are too close and are sometimes stinging each other, yet I see all these corals in your tank placed all so close to one another. Makes the tank look fuller and gives more depth. I can't seem to establish this in my tank.

rossim

Excellent tank!

I love the Ricordea bed you're working on. I defintely want to get one going in my tank! I think they look great!

brooklyn johnny

Thanks again everyone...
daceman... wow I could write a book on how I'm planning to set up my 180 when it goes back up. To answer some of your questions... I prefer Euro-reef skimmers, but both you mention are good too... what sump you choose is up to you and your budget and really doesn't matter as long as it suits your needs... you don't need a refugium but I recommend it... I never design any tank with powerheads for flow... in my 180 I'll be going with Tunze Streamson a controller, and an Oceans motions unit hooked up to my return line from the sump... I'll post a thread as I start planning it out, which will be very soon...
Euphoria thank you so much... that is perhaps the best compliment one can give... Most of my corals started out as frags, so they have grown in to fill the space I've given them after taking into account each of their growth patterns. Aquascaping so things have their space while at the same time appearing natural and showing depth is a tough thing to do and so often overlooked... It's amazing to see how many experienced reefers know so much and have so much experience yet cannot design a reef worth anything... shoot to look like a nice reef and not a nice reef tank... I've always tried to make the space look larger than it is while at the same time making it look natural... after a while corals will grow into each other but this is natural and unavoidable. It is an art with Mother Nature as our guide, and just like some arts it's something that cannot be learned. If you gave me a paintbrush and a hundred years I would not be able to produce what some kids do that have that innate luxury...

mary

When I set up our tank, two years worth of reading material went into it before setting up, yet never did I run across anyhting about frags . What a money saving method! Corals grow so fast that that is an ideal way of beginning. I had never seen a reef tank except in books as an adult! Underprivalaged life, and when beginning, had the LFS nearby who benefitted from my lack of knowledge{which by the way they now sell frags, and now and then mine}, but who did advise and were always there to help when I had questions. However a budget does keep one from getting all the acrutiments one could and probably should use. Am so glad to have discovered this forum and find so many people who share in this incredible hobby. Am extremely gratful for all the advice and support.

euphoria

Originally posted by mary
When I set up our tank, two years worth of reading material went into it before setting up, yet never did I run across anyhting about frags . What a money saving method! Corals grow so fast that that is an ideal way of beginning. I had never seen a reef tank except in books as an adult! Underprivalaged life, and when beginning, had the LFS nearby who benefitted from my lack of knowledge{which by the way they now sell frags, and now and then mine}, but who did advise and were always there to help when I had questions. However a budget does keep one from getting all the acrutiments one could and probably should use. Am so glad to have discovered this forum and find so many people who share in this incredible hobby. Am extremely gratful for all the advice and support.

I second that. I've learned lot more here than any LFS or book out there could provide.

brooklyn johnny

Originally posted by Kip4130
OceansMotions :yes:
Paul is a great guy and will go above and beyond for customer support.

Yeah I'm excited to get my hands on one of these... all the benefits of a SCWD without the drawbacks of getting clogged/jamming and cutting down pump output... and it has four or eight outlets as opposed to just two!!!
Mary great words!! This board is great and having a local group of buds who will hook you up with frags as you give back is fantastic on top of saving money...
For all... there are a bunch of new pics posted here
Enjoy!!:joy:

daceman89

Originally posted by Kip4130
OceansMotions :yes:
Paul is a great guy and will go above and beyond for customer support.

what is paul contact to purchase the oceansmotion. and which model do you recommend for my 180. Also are these conected to the return from both overflow box or just one.i am removing the Wavemaster from my list and will purchase the oceansmotion and the tunze johnny recommended. And which one of these two models(Turbelle® stream Kit TS07 or Turbelle® stream Kit TS12) would be good fit for my setup,where would be i place it in the tank and do i need to buy any accessories to mount it.
By the way Thanx Johnny and kip you guys and everyone else in these forums have been great. When i complete this tank i'll make sure i send you both some pics and give you both the credit you deserve

brooklyn johnny

Thanks Daceman for the compliments...
Paul has a .com website of oceansmotions where he sells his products. The site also has great info on how to hook these up.
I am going with the TS24 setup but am waiting on it until the new multi controller comes out very soon with added features. When I get the larger system setup in a couple of years I will add two more of the 3175 gph pumps and hook them up to the multicontroller. They are pricey, but they are excellent devices and put out so much flow you'd need so many outlets on a closed loop that it would be a headache and very unsightly. They are very adjustable with the multicontroller and provide for an endless array of flow possibilities...
For those of you who haven't seen updated pics, here is a link to a thread I posted new pics ...
Here's a full tank shot, and for all of you who want lots of info on my system check out my article in the September issue of Reefkeeping Magazine... :)

daceman89

Johnny if i go with an oceansmotions 8 way with at least 4 revolutions would i still need a tunze Turbelle stream. And if i do, would the ts24 be ideal and are there placements always on the top of tank. wouldn't the oceansmotions be circulating top of tank.

brooklyn johnny

Daceman you don't NEED the Tunzes. I really like the Tunzes myself and the only reason I'm going with the Oceans Motions is because I have the sump return. I'm staying away from the headache of plumbing a closed loop will cause as I believe the Tunzes negate those. Many people say the Tunzes are unsightly, but IMO in order to get the 3000+ gph they each put out in a closed loop you'd need alot of plumbing with unsightly intakes and many joints of possible failure...
The Tunzes are generally placed at the top of the tank but due to their flow dynamics they circulate water everywhere in the tank by sending out a wider laminar flow as opposed to a fine stream of water that other pump outputs do. IMO the TS24 is ideal and it gives you the advantage of being able to upgrade to four of the streams on the multicontroller if you ever decide to upgrade like I have.
Keep in mind what I suggest is my opinion. I personally would not go with what you suggest because all of your eggs are in one basket with the one pump providing all of the circulation. Without circulation most tanks will only last hours before death comes to your fish (corals will last a little longer) while at the same time they are fine for days without lights...
Once again just my opinion...
Johnny