6500 k vs. 10 k

whill85886

I was just hoping someone could help me clear my confusion on Metal Halide lighting. As far as I understand the kelvin rating, the higher the kelvin, the bluer the light. The bluer light is to simulate deeper water lighting. I am under the impression that the corals and inverts that need MH lighting such as SPS, clams, acropora, etc. are generally in very shallow water which is why they require such a high light, however I always hear about 10k bulbs as the way to go but these are supposed to be deeper water simulation. Is a 5500-6500 K bulb sufficient? Can someone please clarify. Thank you.

bang guy

The coral & clams will adapt to whatever light you give them providing it's in the visible spectrum.
The color of your tank is for your benefit.

I am using a 100w Coralife 6500K Metal Halide. The light from the bulb is more on the red/yellow part of the spectrum.
Here I will show you two pictures.
1) 6500K Metal Halide ONLY
2) 6500K Metal Halide w/ 20w Helios Actinic Supplementation

Big difference eh? I wouldn't recommend the Helios because they are pretty hard to find, and I also heard really bad rumors about them. It has worked perfect for me so far.
Try getting a Power Compact Actinic to go along with a 6500K MH, it'll look great.
Oh almost forgot. 10000K Blueline MH bulbs would run you around $75 per bulb, and they are said to look white/blue. They do not need actinic supplemtation. Best bet IMO.
Justin

tcduongxx

Hey. Use the 10000K if you can. 6500K are a good spectrum for growing green plant.
Your Coral will give you better collor if you got enough light intensity and spectrum. The coral will produce reflective color to keep it from sun burn. It is what you want. With less and low spectrum light the coral does not need to produce color on their skin. It skin will turn brown to absorb the maximum amouth of light. Like us we get dark to reduce the absortion of altra V light.
More is better if you can afford it. You can never match what they got in nature.
My tank get 8Watts per gallon. The brown brain coral I got from the store now turn reflective green. The brown hard branching coral now is bright green.
Carefull, Don't move your coral from low light to hightly intense light in one move. Move it slowly toward the light source. Recommend 3 to 5 inch per week depending on how well it adapt to the the light. Think how your skin would response if you live in Minnesota and it is winter and then you take a vacation in Florida and go to the beach with out sun tan lotion. Your skill will die and peel. Well hard coral is only skin deep. It it die and peel then all you got is dead coral.

spsfreak100

Corals don't have eyes, they don't know what color the lighting is :)
The corals pay attention to intensity, not coloration. I think a 10,000k would be an excellent kelven rating for your tank. It should be a nice crisp white with a slight tint of yellow (depending on the ballast you're using with it).
I am using a 100w Coralife 6500K Metal Halide.
I've never heard of a 100wt halide and as far as I know coralife doesn't make 100wt halides. It's either a 70wt halide or a 150wt halide.
Graham

tcduongxx: Yeah, also "tanning" of your skin is actually the adverse reaction of your skin due to the harmful UV rays emitted by the sun.
SPSfreak100: Actually... XXXXXXXXXXX edited by Guy XXXXXXXXX
Justin

bang guy

Bubba - I agree that "coloring up" SPS might not be the healthiest thing for them. I do agree with tcduongxx that this is what SPS keepers want though, the defensive colors are what they are striving for.
Sorry I had to edit your post. Links to competitive sites are not allowed.
I should have stated in my earlier post that although the coral will adapt to the light, different K lamps do tend to display different colors in SPS. 6500K tend to allow corals maximum growth but minimum color.

Hey bro, the advatages of going with a lower kelvin bulb (6500K) with a supplemental actinic are pretty basic. If you have low wattage actinics, you can turn those lights on first. Because they are of a lesser intensity than the Metal Halides, they will stress the tank less.
Think of it as waking up from a deep sleep, and having a MagLite in your face. Sucks huh, well think of your tank the same way.
I keep my actinic on for one hour before, and one hour after my Halide.
Justin

spsfreak100

Originally posted by oO BubbaGump Oo
but it is a 100w.

From my knowledge, corallife does not make 100wt halides. 100wt halides do not exist (made for specificly aquariums). If you have a link where these are located I would love to see it, please email me at Leathercoral85ga@aol.com
Take Care,
Graham