75 Gal with stand and canopy on carpet

Anyone ever tried this? I am buying a new house and I may not have a choice but I am a little nervous. I don't want it to be too unstable.

bang guy

My 155 gallon is on carpet. Hasn't been a problem. Just be sure it's perfectly level and shim it if needed. Don't put it too close to the wall.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I did it once and will never again. It was stable enough, but never could get it completely leveled, even with shims. Maintenance on tank with carpet under it was always a nice little challenge, but the worst would be when it came time to change the carpet.....nope.

snakeblitz33

Is it in your home or a rental?

Since its on concrete, you might be able to shim it well enough. I would place the tank on styrofoam to let it settle level.

I have had tanks on carpet and it was a hassle in the past. Like Beth said, maintenance is a trick. But, it's doable.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Doable if you never want to change carpet. When it comes time to change, then take the tank completely down. If the tank is fairly small, say 30 gal, its not so bad; but a larger set up would be a major undertaking (especially a reef).

snakeblitz33

Styrofoam takes away all the tiny unevenness in a tank settling. It also absorbs some vibrations from outside vehicles - or in my case living in a trailer, helps absorb vibrations from heavy footed traffic in the house.

kirshman

Sorry about the hijack. So you just put it between tank and stand? Just the glass or the trim too? How thick?

eric b 125

My 200 gallon is on a carpeted, poured concrete floor and I don't have any leveling issues. Keep in mind that putting a tank on styrofoam may void the manufacturers warrantee. I have a Lifetime warrantee through Marineland and it would be voided if I put anything b/w the tank and stand.

flower

All of my tanks, from 55g to 90g have been on carpet for over 14 years. The only drawback is if the thing springs a leak. I had a HOB skimmer (Coralife), that would leak or dump water regularly, my sump leaked once, and I had a 55g break...and clean up is a pain. I keep sham wow's handy, nothing picks up water like that material, for the bad leaks...a shop vac, then the sham wow's to really get the last bit of water up.

Purchase them, and may you never need them.

Dflo

I was at my leasing office today and looks like I could possibly move into a bigger place on 1st floor. There is one open in my building but it has carpet. I'm going to do at least 200 gallons but the carpet worries me. Should I stick with one with hardwood floors or be ok with carpet.