8 Gallon Biocube Discontinued?

Hey all of you!
I'm new to the saltwaterfish forums and I'm looking forward to getting started on my 8 Gallon Biocube that I will soon get after I get this new job at GNC and get some money in my pocket. I am 19 going on 20 in July and I just moved back home from College Station Texas because I transfered from Texas A&M to UH main campus and im looking forward to starting back up on another saltwater aquarium. 2 years ago I had a aquapod 12 gallon but now I just want a 8 gallon Biocube but I have a quick question on the Biocube before I purchase it. I went to my nearest saltwater fish store today to ask them if they could order me and the owner said they dont purchase them anymore because they are discontinued... is that true? Is something wrong with this specific saltwater tank?
Thanks for yalls time!
- Aaron

huh.. that is weird. I wonder how come they discontinued it. I was really looking forward to starting a 8 Gallon in my bedroom. Perfect size and everything
Well I guess ill have to find another different type of Nano or go for the 14 Gallon Biocube

monsinour

Theres a LFS with about 5 near me. It makes sense that they are discontinued as you really cant find one online to order.

btldreef

They were recently discontinued. They're a great all in one system, but for the size, people were just going with the 14G, and the 8's weren't really selling. For the price, you could pick up a 10G and a good hang on back filter.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/385854/8-gallon-biocube-discontinued#post_3386129
They were recently discontinued. They're a great all in one system, but for the size, people were just going with the 14G, and the 8's weren't really selling. For the price, you could pick up a 10G and a good hang on back filter.
Exactly. If people were going to spend that coin, they would get the 14g size. If the price was too much, a 10g tank + decent HOB filter is less than $100. If the biocube 8g was closer to $100, I would have upgraded my daughter's tank to that. Instead, I got a plain 10g tank + that fluval C2 HOB for around $60.

Aint that the truth, the 8 Gallon Bio is pretty expensive for just being a 8 gallon tank. Though it comes with pretty much everything you need to set up a tank there are some downfalls about it and one I dont like is only have 1 to 2 fish in it. I still really like it and all but I'm pretty sure ill just end up going with the 14 Gallon if I'm going to spend that type of money. It's only 50$ more from the 8 gallon to the 14 gallon. If I end having the extra 100$ shoot I matter as well go with the 29 Gallon. Plussss the higher gallon you go the easier it is to maintain it. Yall have been a big help and made things more clearer for me :)

btldreef

If you're trying to be economical and get everything all at once at the same time, you might want to look locally for a reef club or even craigslist and see if you can find someone who is breaking down their setup or upgrading.

BTLD: ohhh noo, I would like to set up my own tank with going out and buying my own mods. I just dont have the money just yet to even buy the 8 gallon if I wanted to but soon I will. Give me sometime and when I do ill make sure I post pics for you but I made my decision on which one ill go with. It's going to have to be the 14 gallon. You have been a real help, I appreciate you and everyone else that has helped me out!!!!
Flower: Of course I'm staying... I miss having a saltwater tank. Like I said it has been 2 years since I have had one and now that I'm back home and staying in Houston for College I can now re-start one up but just with a new brand of nano :)

meowzer

Why not go to Walmart....and buy a plain old 29G...you could use the filter that comes with it also....
ONLY thing you would want to change would be the lighting down the road....and you will have 2 months until you would need to do that during the initial cycle period

mproctor4

I totally agree with Meowzer and BTLDreef--in a city the size of Houston you could easily find something great on craigslist. We have found some awesome deals in a much smaller town, even one that was brand new for 1/2 price. You will have alot of other things you will want to spend you $ on when the tank is up and running. We have gotten some really great live stock for a fraction of the price of a LFS thru our local reef club. You have to save where you can. 29gal is a nice size for a bedroom and you can put so much more in it.