9/11... what were you doing?

crimzy

OK so this is my second 9/11 thread of the day. Sorry. I though maybe people may want to share where they were, and what they were doing on that date and time.
I was on my way to court in the morning when I heard about the first crash. At that point, obviously I didn't realize the magnitude of the event. When I was in court that morning, more stories were coming out about the Pentagon, and the crashed plane, and various other rumors. It got to a point when we wondered what would be the next place hit. I remember that I didn't feel comfortable being in a large courthouse on that day. I finished my morning docket, and my afternoon was cancelled so I went home. I was glued to the TV, watching these reports for days afterwards. I was so tempted to get in my car and drive to New York to help. At this point I wish I had.

1knight164

I was ABOUT to retire from the military, moving my family to California for my last duty station. Glued to the TV and wondering what the hell happened.

darthtang aw

I had just woken up, The now ex-wife had turned on the TV and was getting ready for work when I saw a plane had crashed into the first tower.
My first thought " some damn pilot was drinking while flying again.'. If you remember airlines were having problems with pilots drinking while flying at the time.
Then the second plane hit, I went into work and we all just sat and watched the news all day. My family from called me from all over. we located our cousin in New York and he was fine. I remember one guy wanting to place bets on the next target the planes would hit, he was asked to leave.
The whole day was just sitting in silence and watching the news. The buildings fell and then the serious tears started coming. A lot of my family (younger cousins) signed up for the military next day.

jmick

I was on my way into work that morning listening to the radio and when I first heard it I thought it was a joke. When I got into the office people were watching it on the TV in the lunch room and within minutes I saw the second plane hit the building and knew something evil had just happened. I remember that day vividly, I didn't call a single customer and spent most of the day watching what was happening and I recall the various emotions I felt, especially when the first tower went down.
Even thinking about it now I get a little choked up, thinking about the people who were still trapped in the buildings and the fear and terror they must have felt. When I got home that night, I don't think my wife and I said more then 3 things to each other--it was kind of like we were in a daze.

fishfreak1242

I was in 2nd grade when 911 happened, so I didnt really understand what was going on. But my dad was working in the building right next to the twin towers so I was worried that his building was affected. I still remember what happened that day.

socal57che

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2752414
9/11... what were you doing?
Taking a shower. When it first hit our TV that is. (yes, ruaround, we had TV then)
Filled up with gas.
Got to go home early. Business died off a little that day.

lovethesea

getting ready for my Big birthday. Hoping to do some "girlie" things for myself and ended up shocked and saddened and unable to peel myself away from the TV and the phone. Also very sad for my childrens future.

sharkbait9

Just got off duty on the overnight shift. Climbed into bed closed my eyes and the phone rang with my boss on the other end telling me to get dressed and report back to work. A plane just smashed into the world trade center and emergency personnel are need to respond up to the city.

aquaknight

I was in 9th grade, IB trigonometry, a kid when to the bathroom and came and told us a plane flew into the trade center. Watched TV for a little bit before the teacher, unsure if we should be watching it, turned the TV off and continued class. Class ended and was lunchtime, but my locker was by my next class and the teacher was watching TV will a couple other kids. I joined, and a couples minutes after watching, we watched the first tower fall live. Wasn't hungry for the rest of the day...
The scariest thing I remember was wondering/talking about who was next to be attacked? L.A.? Miami?

jerthunter

I was asleep at work, looking forward to sleeping in until atleast 5am and then enjoying a short work day before going home. There were some people working shifts doing painting so I heard this one guy run through shouting for everyone to get up. Some of the people would do that because they just enjoyed being mean but when I looked at my watch and it was only 4am I figured something was wrong. So I woke up, walked back to find the people on watch back in the engineroom and asked why on earth are they waking us up an hour early. They told me that they heard some buildings had been blown up, so I went back up front, and was able to watch the tv and see all the rather chaotic new coverage. I remember I was there in time to see a second plane hit the second tower, which was rather strange.
Needless to say I didn't get to go home that day.
I remember the next day, I was at the Macky Dee's and some guy was giving me a hard time because my boots were torn up. Its odd the wierd things that I remember about that. Events like that and the Berlin wall falling kind of stay fresh in my memory even years later.

alix2.0

we watched it on the news in my fourth grade homeroom.
i came home and told my mom about it and she said shed been watching the news all day.

jennythebugg

i was seven months pregnant with my son and had just dropped my daughters off a t school the came over the radio saying someone set off explosives or something in wtc i stopped at my parents house and woke my mom up and turned on the tv we sat glued to it till the second one hit then the pentagon then the field. i went and got my kids out of school where their teachers were all praying with the kids (and i am grateful for that cause they were all scared) we all went to the red cross to give blood but they wouldnt let me cause i was pregnant so i passed out oj and cookies

invertcrazy

I was just leaving the piers in jersey with an empty shipping container heading to upstate n.y(oswego ny) when the first plane hit the towers

valgae

it was my first day of college. i was in the bookstore getting supplies for my chem class,which i happened to already be late for. the first plane had already hit a tower. when i was checking out the second plane had hit. i missed my first day of chem because i stayed in the bookstore to watch till my next class.

gliderjohn

I was getting ready for work and watching the news. Nothing out of the ordinary was happening. But 20 minutes later, when I arrived at work, the office manager told me of the 1st plane hitting the tower. I was thinking how bizarre that was. In the 40's a B-25 bomber crashed into the Empire State Building in foggy weather. Here in Philadelphia, that day, the weather was crystal clear, so it couldn't have been much different in NYC. I couldn't figure out how an accident like that could have happened. Then came the news of the other plane!

howardj

I was in the fourth grade.. probably staring at the wall.. or talking to someone..
My principal came in and told my teacher, she started crying, told us what happened.. I had No clue what was going on.. I didn't even know what the twin towers were..