911 QT tank just cycled WITH FISH IN IT!

shwstpr88

Ok just took a test (been testing twice per day) This morning I did a 10% water change levels were normal tonight went to check on the tank....
Amm 1.5
Nitrite .25
PH 8.4
Nitrate 20
So, I just did a 30% water change with RO water (this also brought salt down to 1.015) (going into hypsolinity with the fish anyway.
Now levels are:
Amm .5 (also added some stress coat to remove excess ammonia)
Nitrite 0
PH 8.2
Nitrate 10
Am I playing this right what are my next steps REALLY dont want to lose 8 fish here, thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Drop the pH slowly to 8.0, which you can do since you are going into hypo.
Less pH = less toxic ammonia.
Add some sand from your display into the QT.

shwstpr88

Hi beth, ya it dropped like a rock for some reason overnight to 7.6! I just did another 10% changes and added PH buffer to bring it back up. I am getting worried about the fist with these changes. They all seem to be doing great though despite the water fluxuations.
today my levels are: (before 10% change and addind sand from DT).
am .5
trites .25
trates 10
PH 7.6!!!
Thank you so much for your help it is greatly appreciated. What levels of each parameter should makes me freak out? I am freaking out after anything is above 0 just to help my own stress level. Also for water changes what do you recommend when the levels go up? 10 20 30 40%?
Thanks!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Bring pH up to 8.0, not higher. Fresh water has neutral pH, so pH is something you need to check daily when doing hypo.
Use ammonia-lock or similar product for the ammonia.

hammerhed7

what size is yout QT? 8 fish might have been a little too much bio load. I am assuming that since your doing hypo the fish have Ich, so adding them to the DT is not an option?
If this is the case keep your ph steady at 8.0 like beth said, and do water changes regulary. Use a water conditioner like prime to keep ammonia and nitrite in check, and cut back on feeding.

shwstpr88

I have started using prime and stress coat. I am using buffer adder gettin closer to 8.0.
I am doing a 10% change in the morning and a 10% in the afternoon is that too much or too little?

shwstpr88

Hey Beth last night I had an amm spike to 2.0 I did a 30% water change last night and levels were back to amm .5 nitrite .25
Today however the ammonia is about .5 but the nitrites went to 1.0
How do I proceed I dont want to change out too much water without being told to.
I need to find out what parameters are still safe.
ALso I put more filter media in the tank from my DT last night hopfully this will help as well? I already added a cup of sand.

sepulatian

Adding the filter media and sand from the display will certainly help. You can change out more water if needed, just be sure that the PH, SG, and temp match that of the QT. I have found that Amquel plus works very well for emergency situations such as what you have going on now. The ammonia spike is not as high, but the nitrite has spiked higher. That is some progress. Keep doing what you are doing and add the Amquel plus. That works on nitrite as well.

shwstpr88

Numbers are right back up again today just did a 10% and am noticing my puffer isnt eating all that much everyone else, I think he is acting normal but distracted by his twin brother in the glass goof ball. Howver on a scale of 1 to 10 I am at 3 having concered cause he didnt eat yesterday and today again I guess Ill see later tonight Ill put in some good frozen stuff he likes.
What are "Safe" ammonia and nitrite levels? I feel a constant state of panic where my numbers currently are.

deejeff442

any ammonia is toxic. i have used amquil plus with great results.the ammonia is really the only killer the amquil will help alot but remember with the amquil the test will still show ammonia but with amquil in there it isnt as toxic.nitrites at levels under 50 really are not very harmfull.its the ammonia thats the killer.
10% a day untill the ammonia is gone then let italone .once the cycle of ammonia is gone thetank is cycled and will grow more good bacteria.
alot of water movement is key.
try some frozen krill full size soaked in garlic and hand feed the puffer using a stick.this might help him eat.

florida joe

10% a day untill the ammonia is gone then let italone .once the cycle of ammonia is gone thetank is cycled and will grow more good bacteria.
please explain

shwstpr88

Ok well ya been doing 10% minimum for the last 9 days.
BTW thanks for the food reply he was just being fickle threw some squid in there and GONE! lol He's ok just being difficult

deejeff442

once the ammonia converts to nitrites the tank has gone through the cycle.since nitrites at low levels are not harmful like ammonia. once the ammonia is gone stop the water changes and let the tank stabilize itself.
to keep doing water changes with no more ammonia and low nitrites is useless imo.
i think letting the tank stabilize and the fish not have anymore changes will reduce stress.
although since he is going hypo ,guess water changes are a must untill it hits 1.009.

florida joe

once the ammonia converts to nitrites the tank has gone through the cycle
FYI the nitrogen cycle referred in respect to our aquariums is the sum total proses of converting ammonia and ammonium into nitrites and then nitrates. Di nitrification at this point takes over and converts nitrates to nitrogen gas

shwstpr88

This is getting more frustatring today...my puffer is eating fish now!!! grrr

He ate a firefish goby and last night one of my mated pair clowns are missing!!!
Should I move my other clown, cleaner wrasse and blue spot puffer (little guy) to the 30gal with my cowfish? His water is prestine and ich is no longer showing at all.
That would leave my 5in porc puffer, 4in emp angel, 4in yellow tang and blue tang in the 55.
What do you think?

shwstpr88

until they go back to the 125 should I remove the small fish from that 55 and into my 30 which is also in hypo?