9600oz to freedom: Our 75g (Coral growth picture update! 9/14)

alisamac

Hi everybody
I'm Alisa and used to be a nano reefer until a plumbing accident led to many leaks and just more stress than my little 12g was worth. So my boyfriend, Josh, and I decided to move all of my stock into the 75g and now we've got more space than we evvvverrr could have imagined! So here we go: (Josh knows all the specs better than me so forgive my dumbing this down)
equip:
75g tank
30g sump
t5's
2x koralia's
stock:
2x saddleback clowns (who refuse to host anything)
sixline wrasse
hairy seahare
various squishy and hard corals
Now onto the pictures!

And our pretty convincing dog-faced puffer!

blackjacktang

wow! Look wonderful! Sorry to hear about your nano. Ive heard about 500 gallon reefs getting too old (40 years) and the back of the tank split open and WOOSSHHH 500g of saltwater, 20 fish, and dying corals are now all over your floor!

nissan577

i read your nano thread. sorry about that. but great tank you have going along. do you know what corals you mostly wanna have and the same for fish?

alisamac

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=252873&st=20
^The last few posts are about the catastrophe complete with pictures..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjacktang http://9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-lots-of-pictures#post_3353803
wow! Look wonderful! Sorry to hear about your nano. Ive heard about 500 gallon reefs getting too old (40 years) and the back of the tank split open and WOOSSHHH 500g of saltwater, 20 fish, and dying corals are now all over your floor!
I would DIE.. I mean we still had quite a bit of money into that tank equipment wise that we took a major loss. I couldn't even imagine the multiple thousands of dollars that the tank alone cost not to mention the stock that would be lost. When I had the leak and had to have everything in buckets and all of the transfers it would have killed a fish in no time so I was so happy I hadnt taken that plunge yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http://9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-lots-of-pictures#post_3353807
awesome tank so far, any clue as to the corals you have?
Welcome to the forums.

I labeled all of the pictures on the upload (still a little new here) There is our green nepthea, xenia, kenya tree, various rics*, tubinaria/caps, frogspawn, daisy polyps, war coral, mushrooms, (the antisocial) sebae, and the hairy shroom.
*The one rock with the two large pale pink rics is neat because it is literally slathered in babies with bright green mouths. I counted at least 20, some of which we had to sacrifice to glue that sucker down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http://9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-lots-of-pictures#post_3353808
Tank looks great....sorry it took so long to get the thread up....I LOVE THE DOG TOO!!!!
That's Oliver, the best rollerover-er in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/thread/383442/9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-lots-of-pictures#post_3353864
i read your nano thread. sorry about that. but great tank you have going along. do you know what corals you mostly wanna have and the same for fish?
The thread on here was only my first little chunk of time with the tank, I'd definitely check out the link up there, it got SO much prettier than those first few pictures. As far as fish Josh has his whole plan for those because I am pretty indifferent. Before I didn't care because I could literally only get one fish and so nothing was ever awesome enough to be my ONLY fish. And now I could get almost anything and I'm overwhelmed lol. He wants (cue controversy) a yellow tang, a blue hippo, a green mandarin, and whatever one we decide on for our last (possible goby). As far as the tangs, getting them small and trading out before a battledome occurs shouldn't be a problem, and the mandarin would be going into a very established tank 2+ years.
CORALS.. now of course I've been pouring over the internet and know all sorts of things I want. That's what happened with my daisies, I saw them, wanted them, and hunted them out.. And in turn got a rock of them much larger than I really wanted. They also spread super quick, I think within a month I had polyps on other lr in the nano. Currently I am on a maxi-mini carpet anemone kick and am very disappointed in what I'm finding in the lfs' they are either 1. UGLY or 2. Attached to 20lbs of rock.. And if anyone is in the north these days you know it is waaaay too cold for any online purchases so I just have to wait it out. Josh really wanted the caps and we're hoping that frag spreads along that top rock real nice. He's cut me off from shrooms and rics. I've seen some really nice monti's online that I would love so I'm just waiting it out and seeing what I can find locally for now. We just have a general rule that we don't want anything that is brown lol.
This is pretty encouraging! I'm loving that this forum is so much more active then where I was previously. I don't know when we're going shopping again but I definitely can't stay away for toooo long =)

alisamac

Happy Sunday! Yesterday we went to a few lfs' and did some shopping and placed our order for fish yaaay finally! So all in all it was a successful day because I got my first maxi mini carpet nem!
VERY Excited!

And since my droid takes better pictures than my camera I got another picture of the rock covered in ric's and you can see some nice baby blue ones.

So in a short while we should have 4 fishes and our cleaner shrimp! yaay

alisamac

Thanks! I'm obsessed with the mini carpets now.. I didn't see them locally really until now but I guess I just wasn't looking =)

sapper577

Really nice !! Love your dog too !! I will be watching your progress. I need something to drool over while I'm setting up my latest 75.

A

abeandlulu

Very nice tank! I love the cave thing you got there! I have a maxi mini just like yours!! Mine "LOVES" PE mysis shrimp. Good luck with it.

alisamac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper577 http:///forum/thread/383442/9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-new-pics-1-30#post_3356271
Really nice !! Love your dog too !! I will be watching your progress. I need something to drool over while I'm setting up my latest 75.
Aw you've got your pooch in your avatar! Too cute! I was never really a dog person until I met Oliver, he's totally converted me. Do you have any tanks set up now? I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have something to look at everyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeandlulu
http:///forum/thread/383442/9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-new-pics-1-30#post_3356329
Very nice tank! I love the cave thing you got there! I have a maxi mini just like yours!! Mine "LOVES" PE mysis shrimp. Good luck with it.
Thanks! It took so many rearrangements to get something that we were satisfied with but I like that we've got a focal point now. I'm glad you mentioned mysis because I currently have some thawing to spot feed in a little bit.

sapper577

I kinda keep her pic around to keep her memories alive. We lost her 23NOV 2010. My tank I'm working on now is going to be a slow build. I'm planing on a growth spurt her pretty soon. I build most of my things myself. Heres a pic of what I have going on.

alisamac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper577 http:///forum/thread/383442/9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-new-pics-1-30#post_3356336
I kinda keep her pic around to keep her memories alive. We lost her 23NOV 2010. My tank I'm working on now is going to be a slow build. I'm planing on a growth spurt her pretty soon. I build most of my things myself. Heres a pic of what I have going on.
Aw =( sorry about your pooch, losing pets are always so hard.. That stand is beautiful! Josh built me a stand for my 12 gallon that I love love loved but once the tank cracked we just abandoned it. So yay for home made super end tables! I love the custom hood. We've been talking about reworking our lights from t5's to led's but I don't know if we're gonna take that on yet. Well kudos to your patience because I've got zero! Can't wait to see more.

alisamac

So I'm walking by the tank this morning and something catches my eye. It was pretty cute so I had to take a picture.. Enjoy one of my scarlets playing peekaboo.

sapper577

I always liked the scarlet over the blue leg. My blues seemed to be more aggresive with each other. I had some jades that were cool too