9600oz to freedom: Our 75g (Coral growth picture update! 9/14)

alisamac

A few posts up there is a picture of my recently attained maxi mini carpet anemone and everything I've read on them says they should be sticky.. It's been about 4 days and this one still isn't sticky at all. We fed on sunday and he appeared to eat fine so I'm just wondering if I have anything to be concerned about?

alisamac

Nope, we put it on that bigger chunk of rock and he's stayed put.. I mean it doesn't look unhappy and has been nicely spread out.. Just no stick.

alisamac

How do I express how I feel via a keyboard besides.. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! We got some of our fishies last night!!
So we originally requested a yellow tang, a blue hippo, blue mandarin, a cleaner shrimp, and a pink spotted shrimp goby.. Welp! they got in our yellow and hippo and had a regular stock of shrimps and mandarin's so Josh went to get them while I was unfortunately at work last night. The yellow tangs they had were too big so we passed on those but he got the mandarin, hippo, and shrimp.. Apparently no one cares about my goby so hopefully they'll order him soon!
I got out of work past when our lights would be on so I didn't get to see anything in action last night =( but you better believe I took a flash light to the tank while everyone was sleeping.. I congratulated Josh on getting a dead hippo because this thing sleeps upside down wedged behind a rock. He says I'm gonna kill it with stress because I made him nudge it awake to make sure he wasn't dead.. But I'm just a very concerned person..
So I woke up around 8 with Josh when he went to work and went to try and see what I could. I saw our shrimp for the first time and died.. It is SO tiny and SO cute... annnd I haven't seen him since! On an honest note, the mandarin is prettttttty boring.. I know these are super delicate fish but really.. you're just gonna sit there? The hippo is happy as can be flapping his tiny fins.. Between you and I, I don't care about the yellow tang because this one is that damn adorable, he's just a little guy and I love him already!
And I know what you're thinking, shut up Alisa and show us pictures.. I know! I plan to do one entry of all of our more exciting livestock (unless you want to see my snails...) when I can find all of them.. So stay tuned!!

alisamac

Happy Sunday.. Well kind of.. I woke up to get ready for work super early today and our lights don't come on until ten or so, so I took a light to the tank because I saw the shrimp and wanted a better look.. So I see him but what he's doing is the real problem..
Sometime during the night our mandarin died.. He didn't starve because it takes months to do and I know we have TONS of bugs in that tank and it has been not even 48 hours.. I don't think he was bullied. The six line picked at him once but he was fine and I don't believe it happened again.. When I found him this (explitive) bristle worm was hanging out of the rock attached to the fish. I know enough about bristles to remove them if we see them and awhile back we caught a bunch when we reworked our rock and haven't seen many at night since. But apparently they are carnivorous.. It was in the spot that the fish had chosen to kind of hang out so I'm assuming he was attacked by that stupid worm.. What a stupid way to start your day =( And this worries me, considering the goby is bottom dwelling.. But I know it'll be faster and more aggressive then the mandarin, maybe I'll get it a rape whistle, or some mace..
I can also report that I am happy our tiny shrimp wasnt eaten by my mm carpet nem..

mproctor4

Your tank is off to a great start! I really like your cave and most esp. your dog faced puffer! lol. Sorry to hear about your Mandarin. I think it is unlikely that the bristle worms actually killed the Mandarin. Mostly likely he died and they were just cleaning it up. I don't believe most bristle worms are carnivorous, mostly they are scavengers. Not sure why it is common belief that they are a bad thing, they help to keep your tank clean. Pretty sure that the six-line wrasse eats them so he will help to keep them at a controlled level. Also if the tank isn't over feed their population shouldn't explode. I remember 25+ years ago it was a common belief that healthy tanks contained bristle worms, now they seem to be a horrible thing!?!?

alisamac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/383442/9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-catastrophe-strikes-already-2-6/20#post_3358028
Your tank is off to a great start! I really like your cave and most esp. your dog faced puffer! lol. Sorry to hear about your Mandarin. I think it is unlikely that the bristle worms actually killed the Mandarin. Mostly likely he died and they were just cleaning it up. I don't believe most bristle worms are carnivorous, mostly they are scavengers. Not sure why it is common belief that they are a bad thing, they help to keep your tank clean. Pretty sure that the six-line wrasse eats them so he will help to keep them at a controlled level. Also if the tank isn't over feed their population shouldn't explode. I remember 25+ years ago it was a common belief that healthy tanks contained bristle worms, now they seem to be a horrible thing!?!?
Thanks =) I think it's one of those "if it can hurt me" and "if it looks scary" it automatically gets a bad rap. We don't search them out, but we do remove them when they are out in the open.. Josh definitely went after that giant one eating at the dead fish even with the lights on. I'm gonna just chalk it up to stress and that fish's nature in general (he definitely looked a little weary when we got him).. I don't know if I'd get a new one, they're pretty but not all that exciting. We're testing today to make sure everything is peachy but everything else seems just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/thread/383442/9600oz-to-freedom-our-75g-catastrophe-strikes-already-2-6/20#post_3358086
Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start.
Hows Rochester doing btw? ;)
Thanks. Rochester is fine, but I am definitely ready for the snow to be gone. We got a good amount of heavy icy snow last night and there is only so many white knuckled drives I can take between webster and henrietta before I'm completely over it. RI can't be doing too much better than us, that snowmaggeden they scared us about that totally missed us hit everyone pretty hard had to have been fun.

alisamac

Ok mass picture upload time!

new fts.. nothing too new but the frogspawn is moved and some new stuff!

T-Rex, our blue hippo tang.. aptly named because of his little arms..

Our new yellow tang.. we got him tonight and everything is going swimmingly.. bahahah..

the sixline being sassy..

new green stylo, we're really getting into these sps now I guess..

fancy feather duster!! really excited about this one..

So that chunk of rock with all the miscellaneous rics on it is growing like crazy and I've got some nice divots in this rock so I've started plucking them off and sticking in. I'm sharing my little nursery.. It was actually funny when I got one of the smaller ones off we had the power heads on and it slipped through my fingers and got sucked in and I was yelling for Josh to turn it off and save "My babies!!!" lol I'm a pretty big dork but I've got high hopes that eventually I'm gonna cover that rock with the rics. The frogspawn will get sold or traded eventually because it was a split from our big colony when I had my 12gallon and will eventually get crowded out.
So there are all of our fishes and our latest developments!

alisamac

Thanks everybody.. Small update: New fish are doing great.. Surprisingly the tangs get along really well (knocks on wood) they seem to almost want to be together.. Our shrimp is officially missing and presumed dead. This tank just doesn't like small livestock, we're up to three small things that didn't make it: rainsford goby, mandarin, and the cleaner shrimp. We'll be getting a decent sized skrimp here soon I imagine. My maximini carpet is officially sticky! I was on the verge of nervous when it had no tack to it whatsoever for a while but now it appears to be happy.
I've also been trying to research the feather duster we picked up last night and haven't found any that look like that. Anybody out there have any clue what type it is?

alisamac

Happy belated valentines day! I had to lay some serious ground work for Josh's gift.. Like every time we went to one lfs in particular he was eyeballing this cynarina and I had to tell him it was ugly and I hated it.. When really it's kind of pretty.. Sooo I went and picked it up for him today ( which I'm sure he assumed when he couldn't have it yesterday because they were closed to stock) annnnd got a red one and this piece of blue chalice that we've been looking at. =)
We had to rearrange a bunch. I broke apart and pulled more baby rics off of the flat rock. We glued down some of the bigger chunk (to pillar right) and put the babies in a container with some rubble so hopefully they attach. We took out a big base rock and freed up a decent amount of sand bed. The cynarina went into the back center and the chalice went underneath that top rock opposite the orange cap. I would have pictures but I would like things to get happy and open again, so tomorrow.
Our seahare and I are officially on the level of me picking up and petting him.. He's just my absolute favorite, and doesn't seem to mind being stroked..
Soo that's about all for now, I am thinking about getting rid of the daisy polyps. hmmm..

alisamac

Pictures as promised!

Josh's valentines day gift, red cynarina

Blue chalice

the love of my liiiiife

Best Friends!

A

abeandlulu

The tank is coming along very nice!.. I love the sea hare. But watch him they wil get stuck in you maxi jets. They are not very smart creatures..

sapper577

Looks good ! My daughter just ordered several fish for her 75. This comes after convincing her that a Domino Damsel she got a couple of years ago had to go. It wouldn't leave any new additions alone and picked on fish till they died. We traded him for credit at our LFS. She has a Yellow Tang that is about 3 inches now. Her recent order included a Blue Hippo Tang that is supposed to be about the same size. I hope they get along. The Yellow acts just a little Territorial and since he doesn't have to hide from the damsel anymore, he is getting bolder. I'm going to help her acclimate her livestock Tuesday.

alisamac

Finally we have established sebae sand bed connection!! This thing was so in love with the rock it came on that we couldn't get it to move off for months, just around that rock.We definitely have a pretty upset feather duster because we've got sticky tentacles alllllllll over our tube. I'm super excited to get that rock out and nuke the mojanos that hitchhiked on that demon rock.
The mm carpet is now the entire width of the rock it took to, and our war coral is spreading nicely.. Look! we CAN grow hard coral!! Hooray.
Sapper I'd almost take the yellow out when the hippo is acclimated and reintroduce them at the same time, if not the hippo first.. I haven't had a ton of dealings with tangs but I'd rather be overly cautious with an established fish with a weapon.. But who knows since he was a little damsel scaredy cat lol. Good luck!