A ~19,000 Gallon Fish Tank

nahham

Hello everyone,
We made a place for the refugium today. A good 5 x 7 x 2 meter hole next to the tank. Here is a photo of the hole:

I'm thinking of expanding the refugium by 1 meter. Whats 1 meter between friends, right? :)
Also, here is the repairs going on with the fish farm (aka fish spa). It's sad I had to lose a more than a meter of depth so that we could start repairing the thing:

The paint is already ordered as well. I went with a navy blue color that will cover the sides, floor, and ceiling of the aquarium. It should be painted by the end of next week. BTW, our weekend is Friday and Saturday, so calculate accordingly. :D

reid4

Originally Posted by nahham
http:///forum/post/3216608
Since I'm sure you are at your LFS often, can you please take a photo of the "viewers" of which you are speaking of; I'll definitely try to replicate it here.

not my picture i found it on another thread. just thought i would post it
this looks like a cool build :)

nahham

Originally Posted by oceana
http:///forum/post/3232051
hey those are mine lol. and yes is till use them. great boxes
Thanks for the photos. Can I ask: How big are those? I'm planning to have a couple 1 x 1 m, do you think they will float? I was planning to have an "edge" which is filled with foam. Is that necessary? See attached:

From underneath

nahham

So the base concrete has been poured today. The paint is also here. A couple of relevant and irrelevant photos:

The base for the refugium is poured today. They will start building it tomorrow.

I don't believe how much depth I've lost (nearly 1.5 meters). Well at least now I will be able to see the fish all the time and won't have algae issues

PAINT IS HERE!!! Finally, can't wait to for to go on.

Here is the color I've chosen (Navy Blue). Hopefully it will look good on the walls.

Took this from one corner of the aquarium. I don't know with what to fill it :D.

The sea view from the seating area over the aquarium. Needs a bit of touch-up but I have time. :)
Hope you enjoy those.

oceana

you will not need the foam edge.
i have three
one small one.
one that is 13x13x10
and one that 12x36x10
they all float very well and are rather sturdy in the water. someitmes i even put larger rocks in them while movign things around and they stay up no problem at all

rlablan

Coming along great. that shot from the inside of the tank really gives me a good since of how things are going to look.
How much rock are you gonna need to fill that puppy?
And I am assuming that there will be some sizable pieces of rock in there to fill this guy, and that they will need to be craned in...
I would like to request some shots of those rocks going in... I just think that will be super cool to see.
Keep it up.

nahham

Originally Posted by oceana
http:///forum/post/3234327
you will not need the foam edge.
i have three
one small one.
one that is 13x13x10
and one that 12x36x10
they all float very well and are rather sturdy in the water. someitmes i even put larger rocks in them while movign things around and they stay up no problem at all
Thanks for the info, good to know. I am thinking of 36x36x10. Maybe I'll ask the glass people if they can make something for me.
Originally Posted by rlablan

http:///forum/post/3234675
Coming along great. that shot from the inside of the tank really gives me a good since of how things are going to look.
How much rock are you gonna need to fill that puppy?
And I am assuming that there will be some sizable pieces of rock in there to fill this guy, and that they will need to be craned in...
I would like to request some shots of those rocks going in... I just think that will be super cool to see.
Keep it up.

We were thinking of using the wench on the big boat we have (partially shown in the pictures) to lift the rocks onto a smaller boat, and eventually have a crane lift them from the small boat to the tank. Logistics :). I promise to take as much photos as possible. Nice avatar picture btw :)

nahham

We are done with the shuttering today and planned to have the concrete poured tomorrow. But guess what: It rained cats and dogs today and it seems we will delay the pouring. The fish farm collected nearly 5 inches of rain in little less than an hour, and it's not even totally sealed yet. Aaaaahhh, out of all the days in the year it could of rained, why today?? :(

rlablan

I am sorry to hear that... something always seems to come up when there is an exciting project at hand. could be worse, I suppose...

nahham

Hello,
Just a filler update. Here is a sneak preview of where we are thus far:

This is only 1 coat of paint. I'm thinking 2 will be enough.
We might pour the concrete today :)

nahham

Hello,
Just thought I'd post how the refugium looks right now. We are done with the walls and working on the "partitions" inside.

I didn't think it will look this big. The final dimensions of the refugium is 5m (16.4ft) x 3m (9.8ft) x 1.4m (4.6ft).
I might be able to use part of it to grow food for the tank, hopefully..

nahham

As promised, here is the photo update:

A picture showing the refugium and saltwater well.

The refugium and tank. As you can see as well, the 'hut' is removed.

I'm liking the color..

The fish farm aka fish spa..

The area for the pumps..

Fish just outside the tank in the sea

A long way to go ..