A ~19,000 Gallon Fish Tank

meowzer

Originally Posted by nahham
http:///forum/post/3275490
Here is a video of the fish in the tank. I left the water sit for a couple of days and it cleared up well. I still need it to clear up more though. The fish went crazy when I turned the pumps on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd7TnljcuhY
WOW...It looks great....I love the crab...LOL...Do you have just one? What kind of fish are in there? Are you going to get different types??? Are you going to add more rock?

nahham

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3275494
WOW...It looks great....I love the crab...LOL...Do you have just one? What kind of fish are in there? Are you going to get different types??? Are you going to add more rock?
No I have several crabs but I don't know where they go :)
I can't tell you what is the type of the fish in the video, our workers just catch them and throw them in the tank. I already have more fish: a blue-spotted grouper (Cephalopholis miniata) and several large-scaled banded therapon (Terapon theraps). I will be adding (hopefully soon) several dark butterfly fish (Chaetodon nigropunctatus), yellow-marked butterfly fish (Pomacanthus maculosus), five-lined snapper (Lutjanus quinquelineatus), and others. It all depends on what I can catch and when I feel I am able to add more fish.
As for rock, I am planning to use limestone rock as base rock and then add some from the reefs around here. It will be too big of a job to get all live rock from the sea.

tkucifer

I just got my first salt water set up at the urging of a friend who is a reef enthusiast. I can't even begin to imagine the enormity of a project like this one, but I've enjoyed reading the entire thread so far and will definitely watch for updates! I live in Phoenix, AZ so the heat (albeit without the humidity) is a very familiar experience.
Thanks for posting this amazing progression and I can't wait to see more!

Now any updates? The thread was very interesting. The tank is amazing. When i get older (after college) i hope to complete a task like that for my HOUSE!

nahham

Sorry for not updating this thread often. I have a couple of other threads elsewhere that I update and totally forgot about this one.
Here are some new pictures of the 'backyard': :)

An overview of the backyard as it looks on the 04th of July.

A close-up of the aquarium.

A front shot of the aquarium.

My soon to be equipment bunker.

The make-believe cooling system.

nahham

These are photos I took today. Not really representative because of the time of day; reflection on the glass is a killer.

My brain coral was doing fine for months until I added some contaminated water from the sea. I was so unlucky to open the sea-line at the time of the dumping. Usually the water is really clean. This is what caused the algae bloom in this and the next pictures as well. The good news is that the algae isn't growing any more and the water is really clearing up.

A photo from under the middle part.

Fishies..

An overview..

The water in the refugium: Totally clear. Bear in mind that this water has no additional filtration other than charcoal and nothing else. I am actually pretty impressed that the water can get this clear. I wonder how good it would look when I eventually add UV.

nahham

I decided to take some photos (and a video) from inside the tank. As I said I've piled some rocks and am planning to add some more soon. It is hard work though; some of the rocks we had three people carrying to the tank.

A photo from the back wall towards the glass.

The walls was totally covered with hair algae and it was 4 - 5 inches long. It is disappearing now.

Another photo of the rocks from the front towards the back of the tank.

I decided to pile some rocks under the seating area and see what will happen there. This is not done yet.

A photo of the rocks towards the side wall.

Another photo of the rocks towards the side wall.
A video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4fFMPudP0U (make sure to watch in HD)

nahham

Wanted to check out the light penetration (a 150w MH). I'm only using the lights for night viewing. The water is a bit cloudy because I've just added some water from the sea. I also had some focus issues. (Watch in HD)

nahham

Here are some photos of today:

This s a view of the mangrove isle I've made. The water still didn't clear up.

Another view of the mangrove isle I've made.

The equipment bunker as it stands now.

The entrance to the equipment bunker.

The electrical work being done. This is by far the most professional job I had on the tank :).

The last batch of the Subaiti aka Silvery black porgy (Sparidentex hasta). They sent around 400

The rabbit fish (Siganus canaliculantus). I got around 30 - 40 of these.

Another shot of the rabbit fish.

Yet another shot of the rabbit fish.

The mangroves before going in the mangrove isle :). It should be done by now.

nahham

I have some photos for you. They aren't that good; too hot for me to really concentrate on taking photos. I connected the controller. It says that the pH is 8.7 which I guess is a bit high. The temperature is around 33 C which is high. I didn't calibrate the temperature probe so maybe there is a mistake there. If this is correct I'll need to start covering the fish farm completely until I get the shading for the aquarium. As I said though, I went diving and at 10 meters it was around 33 degrees, so as long as it is not 40+ I'm glad :).
I still haven't gotten the salinity probe calibrated yet.
These images aren't touched at all. It is a bit clearer than what it seems in the photos. I think it is something to do with the glare.

This is under the blue shade.

A top-to-bottom shot.

And through the glass. The coral on the right came up with the anchor and has some hitch-hikers. The glass isn't that clean though.

Another shot at an angle. You can see a collection of the fish in the tank.

A view of the water surface while the pumps are on. I'm uploading a video of the pumps in action. Stay tuned..

spanko

The rabbit fish (Siganus canaliculantus). I got around 30 - 40 of these.
Well that should take care of any algae problems that pop up!

gill again68

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3275494
I wanted to put a big crab in my tank but my wife keeps jumping out!

Man the tank has come a long way. Really an impressive project.