a few of my anemones

rod buehle

Thanks everyone!
Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/3001694
Great pics, thanks for sharing! Any special treatment other than quality lighting that has helped you be successful?
What are those white squares in a few of the pictures? So you have those in there just as shelving or do they provide some type of benefit to the tank?
I will try to post a few tips later on today or tomorrow.. Gotta cut my time short here this morn..
Yes, As teresaQ said, the tiles are for the clowns to spawn on. (I think I have 9 pairs that spawn and a few that dont)
BBL..

adameczd

Rod, I notice that you have had success with your anemones. I have a new tank and recently got an anemone but it doesn't seem to want to "stand up". How do you get the anemone to "stand" up or will it do it on it's own?

rod buehle

Originally Posted by adameczd
http:///forum/post/3014221
Rod, I notice that you have had success with your anemones. I have a new tank and recently got an anemone but it doesn't seem to want to "stand up". How do you get the anemone to "stand" up or will it do it on it's own?

(species of anemone would help along with a little info on the tank.)
Provide the anemone with the proper conditions (each species will have different conditions) and if you have a healthy one to begin with, they will usually do well. Unfortunately the sentence "I have a new tank" and "proper conditions" are rarely found in the same sentence. Strong lighting, strong waterflow, and good nutritional foods will help, along with a good mature/stable system.. Stay away from sites that recommend feeding your anemone silversides 3 times a week. My anemones only get what ever small particles make it past my fish. They do get food most every day but nothing compared to what a few folks recommend and never silversides.

adameczd

it's a long tentical anemone
PH: 8.3
amon: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitite: 0
tank is now three weeks old and has gone through the maturity stage and leveled off as you can see. i wish i could give you the watage of the lighting but didn't write it down when i got it. the light bulb was recomended to me by a pet store that does alot of salt water.
i found a webiste that told me to make a hole in the sand and the anemone into it and will in around it.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by runn3rb3an
http:///forum/post/3015299
how big are your tanks. they look great. can you do a fts?

Most of them are around 40 gal.. There isnt too much to see anymore, because I dont keep th ecorals that I used to, but Ill see if I can get some FTS someday.. It will be a week or three..
Huge fan and loyal food feeder :)

my fish and coral love your food
Thank you both! Anemones love it too

rod buehle

Originally Posted by adameczd
http:///forum/post/3015051
it's a long tentical anemone
PH: 8.3
amon: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitite: 0
tank is now three weeks old and has gone through the maturity stage and leveled off as you can see. i wish i could give you the watage of the lighting but didn't write it down when i got it. the light bulb was recomended to me by a pet store that does alot of salt water.
i found a webiste that told me to make a hole in the sand and the anemone into it and will in around it.
Yes, teh M.doreensis is a sand dweller and should usually find its way there on its own. That is if it isnt seeking more light. Your tank is awfully new for an anemone, and I am guessing that your lights arent suitable either. This being said, we should back up here a bit.. when you say "Stand up" can you elaborate a little.. Are you looking for the "tube" to stretch upwards or the tentacles to reach upward.?.?

invertcrazy

Hey Rod, once again great lookin nems. I do have a quick question though.
Why do you say never feed silversides? I was over on Karens site and she stated that she feeds her rbta's silversides all the time. Just wondering why you say no.

rod buehle

Karen has a lot of good intentions, but that site is not one that I recommend (sorry Karen). Some info is good, but much of it is not IMO/IME. Bubbles are known to split mostly from stress, and she sure has had a lot of splits. I totally disagree with her feeding habits.
Silversides or any fish are not a big part of a diet for most of the anemones that we keep. H.mag, and S.hadoni may be the exceptions, and even then, fish arent the biggest part of their diet. Small plankton(without bones) is a better diet for them. And they arent getting nearly as much food as what she recommends either. Mine do get food almost every day, but its usually only what makes it past the fish.

dmv

Hi Rod nice pictures are there any additives that you add that along with having good conditions in your tanks that you have really watched make a positive impact on your nems more than others . Iodine was a big one that I have read but was not sure thanks .

rod buehle

Originally Posted by DMV
http:///forum/post/3019912
Hi Rod nice pictures are there any additives that you add that along with having good conditions in your tanks that you have really watched make a positive impact on your nems more than others . Iodine was a big one that I have read but was not sure thanks .

Definitely not. Iodine is an antiseptic (poison above NSW levels). There is no scientific proof that any of these animals we keep in our glass boxes actually need any iodine. There is proof that it is toxic above NSW levels. Its nearly impossible to test for with the kits available to us, and if you cant accurately test for a poison that is not proven to be needed, why add it?
I quit adding iodine (and all other additives except CA/alk) in 1995. Thats when the hobby started getting good for me. A few other big changes in 95/96 (halides, better skimmer, better understanding of sand beds..) but i atribute most of my success around that time to the snake oils that I was no longer adding. My tanks only receive kalkwasser for CA/ALK, and good food. AN occasional magnesium boost is also needed in my tanks.

dmv

Yea thats what I was thinking all I add now is my c-bal and everything looks good going on over a year and still waiting for the other shoe to drop on my nem , but so far so good . Thanks Rod

invertcrazy

Thanks for the reply back Rod. I know there are a lot of people out there feeding silversides, but was just curious on your thoughts. Love the carpets but I know my tanks aren't big enough to keep one so i'll just have to admire yours.

paze

I just picked up a H.Mag I've been asking around and I figure I could ask you aswell, how do yo feed your mag, do you just let the clkowns feed him, and what do you feed him. Mine is bleeched out pretty good I think it was due to the fact he was under 3 T8's for a long time, now how long will it take for him to get his color back, just an idea weeks, monthm years, just an idea. Thanks
Love your H.Mag looks amazing.
Paul

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Paze
http:///forum/post/3024316
I just picked up a H.Mag I've been asking around and I figure I could ask you aswell, how do yo feed your mag, do you just let the clkowns feed him, and what do you feed him. Mine is bleeched out pretty good I think it was due to the fact he was under 3 T8's for a long time, now how long will it take for him to get his color back, just an idea weeks, monthm years, just an idea. Thanks
I feed my fish with a turkey baster, and when I do, I feed heavily enough so there are always some small morsels of food making it past the clowns into the anemones. I very rarely (if ever) spot feed the anemones with anything larger than a pea , but the amount that they get when I feed my fishes is more than the size of a pea.. (no big hunks)
Coloration.. Get some good foods to help nurse yours back to health (one was mentioned a few posts up
) It will take a few months. The mags do require more food than any of my other nems
Originally Posted by Paze

http:///forum/post/3024316
Love your H.Mag looks amazing.
Paul
Thanks, but which one
(there are 3 photo'd)