a few of my anemones

truperc

Wanted to know thoughts on how rapidly a bubble tip should be growing, and how long after aquiring you can feel some comfort that it is doing ok.
I have had a bubble tip for 3 months, and it appears to have grown some, but hard to say exactly.
When I bought it, it was mostly whitish...now it is a dark green...I took this as a good sign.

rod buehle

Yes, regaining its color is a good sign.
You should feel comfortable when the anemone finds its spot and says put. It will "deflate" on occasion, but if it is continuously deflating, I wouldn't be comfortable.
3 months is pretty good, but does not necessarily mean thatits out of the woods. I just posted in another thread of anemones taking over a year to starve themselves.
How much should they grow?? 1.6 millimeters when the moon is full on Tuesdays, but only 1.3 the rest of the week. If its raining on Fridays, they can actually shrink. .
just kidding.. there are way too many variables.. sprcies, feedings, lighting, water quality, water flow..

rod buehle

Experts?? I dont think that there are any in this hobby just as there are no (or very few) absolutes.. Some have more experience than others, but this hobby is still so new....
BTW, I hope I didnt offend with the growth thing.. I was just trying to inject a little humor
I just had my giganteas spawn, but thats another thread..

M

mr.reef

which nem would be ur favorite???? i am looking for one i have 250w 20k lighting its a 125g. and i got a bta and it hide all the time i am looking for one for my clowns

rod buehle

Originally Posted by MR.reef
http:///forum/post/3031060
which nem would be ur favorite???? i am looking for one i have 250w 20k lighting its a 125g. and i got a bta and it hide all the time i am looking for one for my clowns
I guess if I have to pick, I have to say one of my giganteas, and probably the brown. However its such a close call. I like them all, especially when they are with their natural partners (clowns)

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
http:///forum/post/3030591
Experts?? I dont think that there are any in this hobby just as there are no (or very few) absolutes.. Some have more experience than others, but this hobby is still so new....
well said. with that you gain an immense amount of respect.
I still dont get the carrots in the food though. (yes caretenoids) that I get but arent there marine based equivilents that may be easier to digest?
My several 7+year old Rock nems say hi

T

tizzo

Anemones?? There's anemones in those pics??
Alls I see are those beautimus Onyx!!
I'll hafta go back and see if I can spot the anemones...

I actually went back and looked and again... nope no anemones...
BUT!! This sentence deserves more recognition!
Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3135066
well said. with that you gain an immense amount of respect.
I totally agree with that.
OK, seriously though, I like your anemones... But I'm a way bigger fan of the clowns! I got a batch of your babies that I'm taking care of, those feisty little suckers are awesome (and beautiful)!!
Anyway, since it's supposed to be about anemones, I'll let it get back on topic.

small triggers

I just hope one day (batting my eyes and looking up towards Rod, hoping he's taller than I at 5'11) that i can be as good a fish keeper as you.
The anemones and clowns are great, SO how do you clean your tanks? I have a maroon pair that attack me whenever i put my hand in the tank, and i finnally got rid of one of my GBTA that killed my blue jaw trigger yesterday (he moved up the top rock so i took him in the rock to the LFS)

rod buehle

I have always been a sucker for batting eyes, but if youre 5-11 you would be glancing slightly downward %%.
Clean tanks?!?! Hasnt happened for quite some time with the exception of a quick razor blade across the glass. I have a few [air that are like pit bulls. The worst I ever had was a pair of ephippiums (fire clowns) that would draw blood every time. even through 3 layers of fish bags over my hand/arm. The bags did stop them from drawing blood, but the evil fish would still make it through 3 bags to get to me.
Coral keeper, THanks, but I am not a king of anything. Yes a lot of experience and maybe more success than the average with some of these species, but not a king.
Mike C.. Good luck. Its difficult tho find any nice gigantea, and getting a good healthy one is even more difficult. Before attempting a gigantea, I would recommend some upgrades (or downgrades) first.
Hopefully I will soon find some more time for this forum. I would like to touch base on a few things ... moving anemones and giving advice on anemones when you arent even sure of a species.