? about my order

bcott

I just got in another order from swf.com and just had a couple of questions.
1. I got 20 astrea snails and they were shipped in no water and that's the first time that happened to me. Are they suppose to be shipped in no water?
2. I also got the reef copepods and it says to just but in. Do you pour the liquid in as well?

fedukeford

Sometimes snails are shipped without water, with a wet cloth instead. If they came with a wet cloth, they should be fine, just acclimate them as normal.
not sure about the pods, but if its not too much water i wouldnt worry about putting the water in the tank.
Feduke

bcott

The snails didn't come with a wet cloth and there wasn't a leak in the bag. The pods came there own package with a cap and the liquid inside of it is green.

fedukeford

thats odd, there was absolutely no water? If the liquid for the pods is green, IMO dont add the water, just as you acclimate them, slowly, and as you add water, slowy take some out, so whatever is in the green water slowly gets removed and diluted, then just add the rest of the water from the acclimation bucket.
feduke

bcott

If I use something like a strainer, could I just pour the pods over a bucket and then just but them in. About the snails, no water at all and the I just checked the box and it's as dry as a whistle.

fedukeford

The strainer thing could work, but itd have to be very fine. The snails still might be ok, what kind of snails are they? Most are pretty hardy, and some can spend long periods out of water.
Feduke

bcott

Maybe 1 or 2 of the snails are actually moving. How long should I wait to see if they are still alive?

92protruck

I just rec'd 10 astrea snails from swf.com also with no water. 8 of 11 died w/n 3 or 4 days. I emailed them and they said they ship with no water. They didn't use to becuz I have bought from them before and they always had water. Anyway, the last time I had snails die I emailed them and they said since it was snails I didn't have to mail them back and they gave me a code for replacement snails. This time I disgarded the dead snails and now swf.com will not honor the 15 day guarantee. They now require (even with empty snail shells) that you mail them back for guarantee.

bcott

Just a little update, so far only 3 of the snails have died and another 10 haven't opened up yet. I got a free lawnmower blenny but he was so tiny he didn't really make it through the acclimation process that well and he died. I also got a spotted manderin and he/she is doing great. It's going all over the tank, picking at the rocks and whatnot. I also got a sand shifting cucumber and after it was accliamated, I layed it on the sand and it crawled it's way up the glass and is now moving around on the glass.