Acan Question asap

reef_dart21

Im ordering from saltwaterfish right now and would like to know if purchasing the acan frag, if it will grow as fast as my montiporas did or no?
i would like to nko within an hour if possible, thanks

meowzer

WELL...I have no clue how fast your monti grows...BUT I purchased the Acan frag from SWF...and In MY tank (cause each tank is different) it has grown some...I received a 3 polyp (??) frag May 1, and it now has at least 7.....it is hard to see where I have it, and I can not get an accurate pic of it.....I will say I was VERY pleased with the frag I received.
Hope that helps you some

big

Yes I night feed mine once of twice a week. Here are two shots a year apart. This guy has grown but not a great deal. One thing I do notice with mine is the size of the individual heads are much bigger now than when I got the little guy.
It was originally up in the tank, now days he is living on the sand................

dani

May I ask what you feed? Do you target feed?
I have had an Acan frag that I got a great deal on and it has shown very little growth (which I don't mind) but if I can help it out, I would like to

big

Originally Posted by Dani
http:///forum/post/3092826
May I ask what you feed? Do you target feed?
I have had an Acan frag that I got a great deal on and it has shown very little growth (which I don't mind) but if I can help it out, I would like to

I sometime do target feed the mouths, but most of the time for me it is a nighttime general tank feeding well after lights out when feeding other night feeders I have. But be careful with these kind of feeding as to not raising your nitrates. I have a very big Fuge which pretty well eliminates this issue.
I feed after lights out when the tentacles are well extended , And what seems best for me is mushed meaty foods (homemade) or things like Cyclpozee once in a while.

aquaguy24

I target feed once or twice a week. Cyclopeez, PE mysis and finely chopped squid. I put a little food in the tank and wait for the tenticles to come out then I squirt the food evenly over all the heads.
BIG- do u have an ID on that acan. I've had it for over 6 months and have no idea wat its call. I know it's pretty common.

big

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/3092915
I target feed once or twice a week. Cyclopeez, PE mysis and finely chopped squid. I put a little food in the tank and wait for the tenticles to come out then I squirt the food evenly over all the heads.
BIG- do u have an ID on that acan. I've had it for over 6 months and have no idea wat its call. I know it's pretty common.
I am thinking Acanthastrea, as to the best I can remember and spell..... I have seen examples with better color than mine.
Here is a good quote from another source on their care.... After re-reading this I may move mine back up some in the tank......In the body of the article it speaks of light levels affecting color...........
Indo-Pacific - Islands of the Indopacific including Fiji, Tonga, Solomon Islands, and the Great Barrier Reef.
Intense lighting is recommended for best coloration and overall health. Use either Metal Halide lighting or a large bank of high output fluorescent or compact fluorescent bulbs. If not provided proper lighting, the colors of Acanthastrea may fade, but worse the coral may not receive enough energy and perish.
We recommend keeping the coral in a relatively low flow area of the reef display. Too much flow could cause this particular species to become stressed and not extend fully.
Like most coral, Acanthastrea rely to a large extent on the products of their zooxanthellae, however, in our experience, they also benefit from direct feeding. There are a variety of frozen fish foods available that make outstanding meals for Acanthastrea. We like to feed a mixture of meaty foods such as shrimp, fish, and squid with vitamin additives and highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFA). The size of the food must be small enough that the polyp can fully ingest it.

dani

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/3093008
I am thinking Acanthastrea, as to the best I can remember and spell..... I have seen examples with better color than mine.
I think he is asking what kind of Acan it is .. I think there are Lordhowensis, Bowerbanki, etc

big

Oh yea Daaa.. to my best bit of knowledge that my feeble mind remembers today with the zillion things here today at home. I am thinking Lords.......
But I sure am no expert at anything to do with a Latin name anymore.............